Hybrid View

this is why there SHOULD NOT be a movie

i know i probably shouldnt have made a new thread but i had to get everyones attention right away.

Ever heard of eathsea quartet? im sure you mus have. im halfway through the last book myself and i love love love them. they are joint number one on my fave books list (along with The pellinor books). Now i know goro mayiziaki is has made a film (which differs abit but sounds okay compaired to this)

http://locusmag.com/2005/Issues/01LeGuin.html

The sci-fi chanels adaptation of "earthsea". Well it made me feel sicker than sick to read this! they took apart the book and stiched it back to gether and made a FREAK! they didnt include ursula and her books had been around for years! now do you think theyd up and coming authors such as alison? i doubt it. Hollywood has no respect for authors, or so it seems.

So now im saying to you NO MOVIE!!!! WE DONT WANT IT TO END UP LIKE EARTHSEA.

rant over!
    bridie xoxo

Oh and i know there are other threads but can you please keep this here for a little while? just while i seethe in anger at lest . I mean i just went on the sci fi chanels website and it says that Tenar wasnt the high preitess and kossil was next to be pretess and that ged had a lover before going to roke and then nearly had another when on roke?!
    Last edited by Bridie; June 15th, 2006 at 04:07 PM. Reason: more ranting to be done!

Thumbs down

Ive never read Earthsea, but read that linked article anyways. If a movie of the Pellinor series means that the same happens as with Earthsea, then i say

NO

just like bridie

BoA Manager
    I think the idea of a movie of the Pellinor series is heated atm because fantasy and sci-fi have in recent years had a large band wagon appear because of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It wouldn't get the attention it deserves or the budget it deserves either. It would be considered a band wagon movie really.

As for chopping and sticking books back together to make movies it happends to a lot of books that are made into movies. Look what happened to "Queen of the Damned" for example it's a mixture of about three of the books from the series all chopped and pasted back together.

~ Tari

uhh i hate that movie too... DEATH TO EVIL HOLLYWOOD PRODUCERS!

I don't mind 'the queen of the damned' it was okay, but nothing spectacular...

If it was made into a movie, it would take too much time, I'd say if it was made into a film with ALL the parts in, EVERY SINGLE LAST LITTLE part it would take ...oooo... quite a few hours if edited. I think they'd miss out a lot of parts in it...like Harry Potter, I DETEST those movies....the books are okay, but nowt special....but these are Alisons books...they would give the books a bad name...

BoA Manager
    How about this then. What about a stage production of The Gift? compared to a movie how do you think that would fare?

~ Tari

I think that even if there is a movie, it'll be even longer than LOTR. If all the parts of one of the books were included, I think the movie will last more than 6 hours.

"La tua cantante..." --EC ~Mairead~'s Avatar
    right, they'd have to cut a lot out, or make it into eight movies instead of four.....or a tv series....lol, i'm still undecided on that.

May the Force be with you Rheingold's Avatar
    Retroactively; A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
    They'd have to take out most of the traveling scenes, when they're just riding, and the drama is all in their feelings. Unless they had Maerad's thoughts spoken by a voiceover....What do you guys think of that?

Ah now your going up my alley! It seems that you are assuming that an audience cannot get inside Maerad's head and understand her feelings unless its spelt out in words - ie DIALOGUE in the film. This is sooooooooooooo not the case!

My entire job is to communicate meaning VISUALLY. After all, film is a visual medium. Through mis-en-scene you can convey much more emotion, atmosphere, mood, etc than you ever could through dialogue. This is the crux of filmaking - using a film language, understanding semiotics of film to tell your story.

A very basic example:
    In a book we might write, "Maearad felt so alone. She felt like she had found a missing part of herself in Hem, only to have it ripped viciously away from her again."

In filmlanguage this phrase may be encapsulated by a single shot like so:
    Maerad is standing in the left forground of the shot, a silhoette against a stormy black sky. She is looking out over a vast desolate landscape. The wind is blowing her hair viciously across the shot. White moonlight shows us a single glowing tear being torn from her face. SFX - wind, calling of a wild animal in the distance, ambience. MUSIC - orchestrall, bass instruments, scrunchy chords, Maerad's theme almost inaudibly in high woodwind.

May the Force be with you Rheingold's Avatar
    Retroactively; A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
    That's so cool....I never thought of it that way.

But wouldn't it take a really long time to convey all of that?

(Is sffworld having problems again? I'm losing the cursor, and the characters are appearing a long time after I type them....)

Quote Originally Posted by Rheingold
    They'd have to take out most of the traveling scenes, when they're just riding, and the drama is all in their feelings. Unless they had Maerad's thoughts spoken by a voiceover....What do you guys think of that?
    A voiceover sounds like a good idea. They could focus on Maerad's face and show her thinking thoughtfully. And it'll be like "I wish Hem was here..." and Maerad's face would be downcast with a longing for Hem.

"La tua cantante..." --EC ~Mairead~'s Avatar
    so glad we have you here to bring up all these film-ish ideas, draoi!

Quote Originally Posted by winxrocks View Post
    A voiceover sounds like a good idea. They could focus on Maerad's face and show her thinking thoughtfully. And it'll be like "I wish Hem was here..." and Maerad's face would be downcast with a longing for Hem.

NONOONO! A voiceover! NOO! My god! arghhHH! I was wondering the same thing about Saphira, Eragons' dragon in "Eragon" i mean.. only um wosits dragon riders can hear her can they not?

I mean it'd be bad if they put a voiceover and.. oh no!
    it brings the BBC version of 'The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe' to mind.

Anyone seen it..

The big puppet aslan moving his mouth and having a.. dodgy voiceover kinda thing. ohh no! I am totally opposed! OPPOSITION!

But then again, i do not have a better suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Mairead~
    right, they'd have to cut a lot out, or make it into eight movies instead of four.....or a tv series....lol, i'm still undecided on that.
    Hey, a TV series sounds like a good idea! It could be named "The Quest for the Treesong" or something like that. It'll be so awesome!