Not for Faint of heart

I am looking for book recommendations or authors that are for readers that arent squimish. I'm almost done with Sword of Truth so you can leave that one out but are there any others?

Well, I don't think he's been released in the US yet but the first two books by Paul Kearney are good reading. Guy Gavriel Kay is another more serious author.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson.. A bit confusing at first, read it slowly and a amazing world will open up to you. The second book is being released in the Fall.

Keyoke

G.G. Kaye is good, and has the advantage that most of his books are stand alones, if you want to start a new series and don't mind your main characters suffering, try Robin Hobb's "Lifeship traders".
    Even better, if you don't mind them dying as well, is George R.R. Martin's "song of ice and fire" (Book 1: "Game of thrones", book 2 "clash of kings"), in my personal opinion the best fantasy series out there.

(you will find extensive reviews off all mentioned on this site)

I am at present reading a good book by a new author - James Barclay - which is called "Dawnthief". It is a good read, and if you don't mind some of the characters getting killed off in the process (some in the first chaptre!!) then this may be for you.

I am at present reading a good book by a new author - James Barclay - which is called "Dawnthief". It is a good read, and if you don't mind some of the characters getting killed off in the process (some in the first chaptre!!) then this may be for you.

There appears to be an echo!!!!
    Sorry

How about GRUNTS! by Mary Gentle. That's a real nice book, w/ lots of cursing, blood, and rape

Everybody forgets Donladson. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever is not for the faint of heart. The first couple hundred pages of Lord Foul's Bane are pretty intense and not too happy. The main character is a leper!

Also somebody mentioned G.G. Kay as well. I have only read The Fionavar Tapestry, but there were som scenes that 'are not for the faint of heart.'

John Marco has some pretty grueling, graphic battle scenes in his TYRANTS AND KINGS books The Jackal of Nar and The Grand Design. Check out his website: www.tyrantsandkings.com

Aside from that all three are outstanding authors, and I would recommend them to anybody.

Hope this helps

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Hey there.

I agree about A song of ice and fire probably being the best fantasy series out there.

Some other series that aren't squeamish are:
    The Annals of The Black Company by Glen Cook about a group of mercenaries getting invloved in a war between good and evil.. they don't really care who wins, they want to get paid and get out alive...
    The Cold Fire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman - about a planet with a magical force that makes your nightmares come true... about as dark as it can get.. one of the characters feeds on the fear of young girls.. and he's one of the good guys.
    The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb - About a young orphan related to the king who studys to become a royal assassin while being persecuted by certain people because of his heritage and his "special abilities", this trilogy has a certain sad gloom feeling, beautifully written.