A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar

Which series to read.

Hello.
    I'm contemplating 2 trilogies for my next read.
    The Deryni Chronicles by Katherine Kurtz
    and The Book of Words by J.V. Jones.

Which one did you more enjoy?
    Any opinions/suggestions?

Interesting choices. I've read both and found both to be good reads. Jones's work is definitely shorter, as in less books to tackle. The Deryni Chronicles may be a trilogy, but there are a lot more books that connect to them both as prequels and sequels.If I had to pick, I think I would go with the Deryni Chronicles. I just liked them better.
    Lady Fox

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Why the series by Kurtz? I've never read that series, The Denyri (Sp), but, I have always seen it..

Wouldnt mind knowing more about it? It's Political? Magic? Etc... Compare it to something else maybe? I'm curious..=)

Keyoke

Guarded by the Moon Moderator Lani's Avatar
    Hi,Keyoke!
    I've read that trilogy and I can tell it is pretty good. It is one of Arthurian cycle books. It tells (the way the author sees it) story of Merlin. There lots of politics, but the book doesn't go in depth. IMO, the main concentration is on character's feelings and movings. It has pretty good style and some witty conversaitions, but mostly it is average. You could try to read it, but it is the matter of taste.

Lani, I believe you are mistaken. The Deryni books ARE NOT!! a retelling of the Authur legend. I think you are confusing them with a series of books by Katherine Kerr called the Chronicles of Deverry. The Deryni are a people with "magical" powers - truth reading, healing, and actual fighting skills using magic spells that have physical manifestations like throwing fire, etc. Deryni look just like normal humans and have all the same weaknesses, but posses an element of magical/mind power. Not all Deryni have the same amount of power. The story of the Deryni takes place over many generations with the Deryni falling into persecution and disfavor through some of the books, then resurfacing with a limited degree of acceptance when the King in the later books (chronilogical, but I think published first) not only accepts Deryni but is found to be part Deryni himself. The prequels tell the legend of Saint Camber and how the Deryni fell into political and social disfavor. I don't want to go into any more detail because I don't want to put any spoilers in here. I would recommend that you read the books in the order published. The character development is great and the plot isn't plodding or hard to get into. It flows well and each book accomplishes a "task", so you are ready for more but don't feel like the book ends right in the middle of a scene like some books in series do. Enjoy!

Hmm.. you are mistaken there about Deverry.
    It's not about the arthurian cycle.
    Deryni sounds good but i checked amazon.com and it is available only after 4-5 weeks so i think i will go with the book of words.

Read the Drenai series by David Gemmel... He is a talented writer. He doesn't have the scheming that George R.R Martin or Jordan has. But if you're looking for pure enjoyment and thrill these books are worth the read.
    There are always Salvatore's Dark elf books, they aren't as good as Gemmels but the are still good. Especially if you are an D&D player.

I'm going to order the first book of the Drenai series as well... Legend...

And some other books as well like The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson and The Madness Season by C.S. Friedman.

Guarded by the Moon Moderator Lani's Avatar
    Oops, I am so sorry! I guess I got confused. I have read Derini too, but I guess something mixed up, after all I read it all couple of yers ago. Thanks for telling me. By the way I like Deryni, you should try it anyway.