Talon vs. Arutha (better swordsman)

Who do you think is the better swordsman?

Feist describes both Arutha and Talon as legendary and amazing swordsmen.

Arutha is super-fast and he has the little hammer on his blade.
    Talon is the 'world's best swordsman'.

It would be interesting to see them in a fight or compare their skills.

Prince Arutha...would win he sharpened his skills in war....he has defeated demons, his reflexes are like lightening.Talon isn't good enough to lick Arutha's boots

Avenging the Orosini.....

Talon

talon would rip arutha up, worlds best swordsman with all swords not just some pussy rapier. who cares about battle trained? talon's trained to win and arutha's trained to kill. talon would win because of better training, practice and more natural talent

Just this guy, you know
    Arutha, definitely.

It's been said that Arutha's been taught to kill and Talwin to fight. Simply, that means that Arutha isn't going to hesitate to kill, whereas Tal would. I have no doubt that it'd be a good fight, but Talwin would be hesitant to deliver the finishing blow. Remember, Talwin's only faced skilled swordsmen who merely wish to defeat him, and only average swordsmen who were willing to kill. Tal has faced both skilled swordmen in duels and battles. Talwin may be able to use many types of swords, but is he a complete master of them all?

Arutha has completely mastered the rapier. No-one has yet to beat him.
    Talwin is a very skilled swordsman, supposedly the best in Midkemia during his time, but does he have the mastery that Arutha has? No.

Arutha all the way!

Depends on the fight

It'd be a great fight, but assuming it's simply a sword duel or fight within clearly defined parameters of time and space (bout in a ring or whatever swordsmen use), I'd bet on Tal even though I'd be rooting for Arutha - Tal has superior training, and the difference between him and Arutha would be that between a pro and a good amateur.

On the other hand, if it was a war type situation, where say each was in command of equal forces, Arutha would win hands down.

talwinis definaltely the best human swordsman ever and could easily win against arutha. first tal would find his weaknesses then he would cain the living crap out of arutha!

I don't think Talwin would hesitate to kill anyone. He has never hesitated in any battle yet. He also would have been able to take down a demon if he had a "magically enhanced" sword.

From the descriptions in the books i would think that Talwin would be the better swordsman... however I no for sure that Tomas would defeat them both easily

Therefor Tomas is the greatest swordsman.

Cool Arutha would own Talwin in his prime, but Tomas would flog them both.

*Sits an whistles to himself for a moment.*

Arutha... you mean prince Arutha conDoin, and not Jimmy the Hand's son? Well, in the first instance, I'd have to say that by the time that Arutha would have had the chance to meet up with Talwin (That is who you meant?), Arutha would then be roughly eighty years of age, and getting worse.

However, assuming someone like Pug took them back through time, or something, in order to face one another both in their prime, then I think that Arutha would p3wn Talwin.

Tomas would completely flog them both at once, however. Come on, they don't stand a chance against a part Valheru. Even if the entirety of the Armies of the West came up against Tomas with Arutha and Talwin charging behind them, Tomas would still have them caned. Enough said.

It's difficult to compare the two, since Arutha never had the opportunity to win the title at the Masters' Court. I would give him the edge over Talwin, although I must confess I'm rather biased. Talwin is by far my least favorite of all Feist's characters; even when he's fighting the forces of evil I feel the urge to root against him.

Talking

it depeneds how we are talking by the time tal is born arutha has roled around in his grave a few times but if we are comparing both in their prime it would be balenced on the edge of a blade
    a great duel to watch

You know... I started to write the typical two dimensional drivel about these two men and decided against it. I know that, Arutha, at least deserves better.

Yes, if both of these men were placed into a perfect void with their preferred weapons in hand and told to slay each other... Talwin would seem to have the advantage. Then the real considerations must be addressed. Above all else, Arutha conDoin was a man that overcame all odds. His indomitible willpower and seemingly endless supply of perseverance always got him past any obstacle, and I believe Talwin would be just another example.

Talwin is a pawn in a big game.
    Arutha was a legend.

I'd take Arutha over Tal in every possible situation.
    Last edited by pugwtfpwns; February 7th, 2007 at 03:11 PM.

Talon would take Arutha. Talon trained with the best of the best and competed against the best. Compare that to Arotha who would spend most of his time in politics. I mean how much time would Arutha of had to practice? Talon was blessed with natural ability and could master all swords. He was in plenty of life or death struggles so to say he would hesitate to take the final kill is ridiculous. On the battlefield or in a duel Talon would beat the Prince.

I seem to remember in one of the Books someone comments that Tal is most likely not the most talented swordsman in the world. There is allways someone better, i think the book said it may be just some Border guard somewhere.

In a fight i would say that Arutha would win in the end, i think that Tal may have a little more more skill perhaps, but thats not allways what wins a fight. Arutha has utter determination, he doesnt know how to fail no matter what the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I seem to remember in one of the Books someone comments that Tal is most likely not the most talented swordsman in the world. There is allways someone better, i think the book said it may be just some Border guard somewhere.

In a fight i would say that Arutha would win in the end, i think that Tal may have a little more more skill perhaps, but thats not allways what wins a fight. Arutha has utter determination, he doesnt know how to fail no matter what the odds.
    Yeah, it was said that just because he won a tournament didn't make him the best in the world. That a lowly border guard could have superior skills. Or someone from Kesh who just didn't want to enter the tournament.

However, the same could be said for Arutha. It's all a matter of opinion really, but I just feel that Tal has honed his skills to perfection and he is capable of adapting to any situation or opponent.

Regular Battle: Arutha would win because his skills wouldn't fit 'tournament' rules

Tournament Battle: Tal would win because he knows how to fight tournament style.

In most scenarios Arutha would win because of his "unconventional" more rough style, but in a contest of styles Tal of course :P
    Though Tal is developing those "unconventional" skills now