Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Uh, Moderator
    Actually, it wasn't the Earthsea trilogy but a quartet.
    The fourth book, Tehanu, is an interesting aftermath, and I've always thought that she might have continued on from there.

A word of warning -- Jordan's Wheel of Time books are addictive. I HIGHLY recommend them, but he is on book 9 (out in November) and there is no end in site. I also recommend the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy G. Kay and the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. These are just some of my favs. There is a lot of good fantasy lit out there to choose from. Enjoy the ride!!

Fantasy comes in many different levels. If you prefer something light, try Piers Anthony and his Xanth series. Steven Brust has some excellent works that are humorous, but retain a closer grip on sanity. And Don Callander has some decently silly works.

If you wish the more "standard" adventure areas (boy grows up to be king type) try David Edding and the Belgariad / Malloreon series. Tad Williams and his Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series shows this theme a little more "deeply." Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is also an excellent read for this type of fantasy. He can get a bit heavy on the politics though.

Finally, there is some real "gritty" fantasy that will run you through a gambit of emotions. Anything by Stephen R. Donaldson will satisfy this. I encourage readers to look up his history. It shows a lot about the pain he puts in his stories. Tolkien falls under this section as well. In fact, he founded this type of fantasy. Mercedes Lackey and her Herald Mage series covers this topic also.

Many authors write works that vary under different headings. Basically just start reading, eventually you will refine your tastes to the area that suits you.

The first fantasy series I read was David Eddings Belgariad, its a good introduction to fantasy.

But one of the best fantasy series ever I think is Tolkiens Lord of the Rings.

I have to agree with Paul. Eddings is a great author if you're a newbie at fantasy reading. His plots are easy to follow and very easy read. Brooks is very much the same. It was Eddings who got me hooked on the genre. Now other great writers are David Gemmel, R.AS Salvatore, Jordan, George Martin, Sara Douglass, David Farland, Elisabeth Moon..... There are hundreds of fantasy writers out there. You have to find your own favourite.

I'll agree too. Eddings would probably be a great place for you to visit next if you decide to wait on Tolkien. They're pretty catchy and roll on smoothly. It shouldn't take you long at all to read through the Belgeriad!

To give another viewpoint, be somewhat weary of Goodkind. Not to say I didn't like the books, I did. But for me they have a lot of slow spots that makes it seem that you're slogging through alot. It usually takes me a quite a long time to get through them, because I'll get bogged down, put it down, read another book or two, and go back. But when you reach the end, they are an overall entertaining series to read.

Hmmm... as you can see, all these various posters recommending their favourite authors and novels, offering different suggestions and giving caution on different works only goes to show that ultimately, you're only going to enjoy the author's and/or novels you LIKE, and finding out who or what they are comes with reading experience and also 'gut instinct'. Case in point: I'd probably never read Eddings although he's considered a good author because I don't want to add another 'formulaic' author to my personal list of good reads. All in all, read what you want, and love what you want. ^_^

IMHO... ^_^