Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

mmmhh Mara and her darling empire...

Lately I've been thinking of what could possibly be my favourite fantasy/sci-fi series..and I think I've made up my mind.

Feist and Wurts' Empire trilogy.
    Not only does it have Feist's fabulous writing styles but it also has the almost tangible descriptive talents of Wurts.

I've been a huge fan of Feist for years now, and I think the combination of both writers works really well.

Also, the series is based in the world of Kelewan, which gives Fiest's Midkemia readers a first handers insight into the society of the invaders in his Riftwar saga.
    It has some good cross overs too, such as Milambers ruination of the arena.

Of course, the fact that the series has a strong and capable female as the major character, only scores more points in my opinion!

What do you guys think?

Hello by the way!

Best series? I don't know about that but it is definately way up there. If you liked Mara of the Acoma you probably would also like "The Initiate Brother" series. Has the same Asian "flavor" but unfortunately the main character is not female. My favorite fantasy series? Hmmmm, that is really tough but I'd have to say "The Reluctant Swordsman" with Zelazny's "Amber" books close behind. SciFi would definately be "The Crosstime Engineer" series hands down. I've probably read that entire series five times over by now.

I loved the books that much I went out and bought them. I really felt that this was a brilliant series, it was well thought out and the combnation of the authors is great. I have also read some of the seperate works of Raymond Fiest and Janny Wurts, I felt that this was one of their better works.Definatly one of my favourites!

Did anyone else think that more books about the Kelewan Empire should be written

[This message has been edited by mistressoftheforce (edited September 05, 2000).]

I would love to see more books set in the Kelewan empire as sequels to the first trilogy. I've always wondered what happened to the boy emperor who was a child of two worlds. Also, does Kevin ever get to see his son again? I think that would be an interesting reunion if it took place a few years after the trilogy ended.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    As you can see by my name, I am a HUGE fan of the Empire series. Loved it. I will one day re-read the entire series.. Man, thinking about it right now makes me want to read it..

Though, would I like to see more books in this world? No.. I use to be a big fan of Feist, and after the Empire series, I dont think I've enjoyed any of his books (Minus the Riftwar)..

Keyoke
    Honor to the House Acoma!

Sorry to stray from the topic a little but who was everyone's favourite character? Mine was Kevin, because I found it intresting how he handled his slavery. Although it seems he was treated a little better than most slaves from Acoma

[This message has been edited by mistressoftheforce (edited September 20, 2000).]

My fav is Mara. I admire the way she remained true to herself and her sense of honor even when it seemed her whole existence was lost.
    Lady Fox

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Guess who is my favorite..

Hehe... good one Keyoke. ^_^
    Hmmm, I've only just read 'Daughter of the Empire', and honestly, in comparison to 'Magician', I thought that Feist wrote better on his own. Not that Ms Wurts was the negative factor, but I found the writing style to be a trifle 'simplistic' at times compared to Feist's own work. Still, the Japanese flavour of the series will keep me interested in reading the other two books, me being a fanatic of all things Japanese. ^_^
    Oh, btw, to those of you who loved the Empire series, I highly recommend a book titled 'Tokaido', by Lucia St Clair Robson. It's a stand-alone book (I think) with a VERY capable young female hero and is set in feudal Japan during the 18th century. It's got inter-House rivalry, bloodfeuds, matters of honour, samurai, shoguns etc. Plus it reads like a virtual encyclopedia of the customs and culture of old Japan! Give it a try and lemme know what you think.

IMHO... ^_^

Too true Sojourn, maybe I was a little bit overzealous. I serious do enjoy Raymond Fiest's writing. I was also wondering are people who read Oriential style books more inclined to watch Japenese cartoons? I am.

I'm only on the second book so far and my favorite character is Tasaio, I guess I'm just a sucker for the bad guys. Seriously though, if it hadn't been for Kevin, Tasaio would have succeeded in killing Mara. I like the writing style and all but the books are sort of hard to get into because I've gotten used to all the mainstay characters of the Riftwar and Serpentwar saga.
    One last thing, does anybody here, while reading, think about how the story would have gone had they written it. I found myself doing this a lot when reading the Wheel of Time, just because the interesting events were too few and too far between the story.

yes mistressoftheforce, I'm a big fan of Japanese anime and manga, though that's a topic better discussed elsewhere. Still, sometimes I do wonder what the result of a collaboration between an acclaimed western fantasy author and a capable anime director would be... ^_^

And Macros, no, I don't find myself doing what you do. The way I see it, if I had written the story, it's kinda pointless for me to follow the plot, considering that I'd already know how it unravels. ^_^ I just tighten my belt and stubbornly trudge on through the mediocre parts and pray that my perseverance would eventually be rewarded!

IMHO... ^_^

I really didn't find Kevin to be that interesting a chracter... I preferred Mara whose character was really brilliantly developed. I also liked whatshisname the spymaster (darn, I really should reread the series... guess I'll have to borrow it off my friend again)

And I do prefer Magician anyday. IMHO, Pug is one of the coolest fantasy characters around.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Yeah, Arkasi the spy master was probably my favorite too.

And yeah, Magician was better, but that's not fair, Magician is so good it shouldn't be legal.