Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Ser Blueberry Muffin Blackadder's Avatar
    Thank you for your warm words. I am thinking of getting a new cat in maybe half a year or so. This time I also think I would get a homeless cat from the Animal Protection Service found in the streets as it is so few people who get their cats from there and that is sad. Most of them get cats from the .. ads? in newspapers and such.

I got pictures of them both, but I would need to upload it some place, so in near future.

Awaiting The Inevitable Liathano's Avatar
    Lost somewhere in the Great Prairies of Canada
    I was trying to post one, but do you think I can get it figured out how to put a picture in...help

I wish I had some cats to take pictures of, but unfortunately, Ive had two sweet cats, and none of them has survived for more than 3 years. Both have been ran over by cars in the neighbourhood

Thinking of getting another one, but the risk, sorrow and loss of another dead cat is scaring me off at times.
    Sorry to hear; pets are family.

Why isn't it an option to not let your cat out of the house? We never let our cat out.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; October 12th, 2006 at 07:36 PM.

Well, I have considered it many times (Rough translation from norwegian, its called "inside-cats". Spells pretty bad in english though), but I do think that a cat should be outside. That is a cat's life if you understand. I dont know if I could resist on opening the door for the cat at any moment. Cats belongs in nature and I just can't keep them inside. Nuff said.

Wow, it has been such a history with these cats. The first one got driven over when it was pregnant (days before the birth) so that was a very special and very sad death. And the other was ... just as bad. I could not just believe that it could happen twice. At least, the second cat (It was called "Hybris" which is latin for courage) got two kittens which we gave away before her end. Im so sad that we did not keep one of them, but she began to attack her children and that was something to do with nature. Pretty scary experience. But of course, cats has always made me happy even how pissed I would be at the time.

I suppose we are slightly off topic here, but seems noone is complaning. I have two cats Neels (M) is 8 and Mallie (F) is 4. In SA we are able to leave windows open all year round, so ours come and go as they like. Neels has adopted our neighbours, so he spend his days there while we are at work, and they love him to bits. They promised not to feed him, so he always comes home to slep, usually in bed with us, they are our babies, and have rights that scare non cat lovers. Mallie's favourite is licking the sweetened milk out of your cereal bowl in the morning (After youv'e finished eating it of course) And Neels likes salad.

Pets reflections of their owners, most definitely. EA you cats are gorgeous.
    Looks like we are goin\g to have to start a pets thread.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liathano
    I was trying to post one, but do you think I can get it figured out how to put a picture in...help
    You need to put your picture onto the computer - easy if you have a digital camera, if not scan it. Then you can either sign up for an account with a free webspace company like imageshack and display the picture using the links they provide or attach it to the bottom of one of your posts (if you can yet, not sure, I'll check) Good luck

[IMG][/IMG]

I looked high and low for one of me, but I'm obviously on the other side of the camera at all times! This is my cat Lela. She is a Manx as well and an animal shelter adoptee to boot.
    Last edited by Liathano; October 13th, 2006 at 09:31 AM.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Blackadder, that's really sad how it happened twice. But it's not unheard of. Last year (or maybe 2 years ago) my girlfriend at the time lost one of her cats; it just disappeared (they think a coyote might have eaten it, as coyotes sometimes sneak into the city). They were very sad, and got a new cat later that same summer. Within a couple weeks, the new cat disappeared in the exact same way!

As for whether cats should be inside or outside animals, apparently it's a rather big debate. I wish I could keep mine inside, but they meow so loudly when they want to go out and explore, and I feel cruel not letting them. They're usually very good and always come back, but they love to hang out outside with the neighbourhood cats. Some people think it's cruel to keep them inside... but many people think it's very cruel to let them out, because you're exposing them to the risks of predators (coyotoes, etc.), fights with other cats, diseases, and cars.

Yea I understand that, but the real bugger is that the only enemy in this neighbourhood is those cars Everything else is just perfect.

By the way, it grieves me to hear about your girlfriends cat. And it sounds more awful too as it maybe got eaten as you said and maybe suffered as my cats did not (hopefully).
    Last edited by Blackadder; October 13th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

High traffic areas are horrble for cats. If we lived in a busier area I would keep my cat in too. Our last cat had no interest in going out and die of cancer at 12 years, but at least we didn't have to worry about him.

I'm trying to see if this works.
    This one is my baby girl, she is 4yrs now her name is Mallie (pronounced Mully) which means "little mad one"

This is Neels my boy now 8 yrs old

So that we are not completely off topic here me at Kozi Lake in Kwazulu Natal in South Africa

Can you believe it actually works, thanks Kater
    Last edited by zorobnice; October 16th, 2006 at 02:47 AM.

because you're exposing them to the risks of predators (coyoties, etc.), fights with other cats, diseases, and cars.
    It's not only that, they can also decimate local bird populations.
    Here in the states, the ASPCA requests people to keep their cats indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent
    As for whether cats should be inside or outside animals, apparently it's a rather big debate. I wish I could keep mine inside, but they meow so loudly when they want to go out and explore, and I feel cruel not letting them. They're usually very good and always come back, but they love to hang out outside with the neighbourhood cats. Some people think it's cruel to keep them inside... but many people think it's very cruel to let them out, because you're exposing them to the risks of predators (coyotoes, etc.), fights with other cats, diseases, and cars.
    If you have them from when they're kittens and you don't let them out, they never really learn to want to go out. We have three (if I get a camera, I'll post pictures) and none of them ever even try to go out. If we leave the door wide open for too long one will start to creep out, but they're usually just paralyzed by all that open space after that. One of the three always lays by the sliding door. If you open that door while she's laying there, she just keeps on laying there, no interest at all in going out. We'd much rather have our cats inside than flat. I've seen too many flat cats to have any desire for ours to go out.

I like my cat to go outside because it keeps him in good shape but i always worry about him, i live right next to quite a busy road and i have often seen him walking right in front of big cars without a care in the world but not once has he been hit. He did get in quite a nasty fight the other week and his paw swelled up quite big but its much better, i hate to think what happened to the other cat... Oh & Since i got my cat as a kitten he has only ever killed one animal so im not worried about the bird population much.

Zoro Neels looks just like my cat but mine has a white mustache-y bit around his mouth. Your cats are very cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael
    If you have them from when they're kittens and you don't let them out, they never really learn to want to go out. We have three (if I get a camera, I'll post pictures) and none of them ever even try to go out. If we leave the door wide open for too long one will start to creep out, but they're usually just paralyzed by all that open space after that. One of the three always lays by the sliding door. If you open that door while she's laying there, she just keeps on laying there, no interest at all in going out. We'd much rather have our cats inside than flat. I've seen too many flat cats to have any desire for ours to go out.
    I can just imagine how boring that would be for a cat, but on the other side, they do not really know of the outside world either..

By the way, both of my cats (in several periodes) bringed in dead and ALIVE mice/birds from the little forest behind my house. Anyone with similar experiences?

The road were both of them was killed is a busy road indeed, but it is 200 meters away, and I thought at first that it would just be afraid of all the noise and all the cars driving high speed, but no.