Help wanted: multiple brains needed. Brain cells fried, frazzled, non-functional

Nothing is ever forgotten, but it seems we sometimes misplace data in our storage banks.

I am hoping someone can help me with the title/author of a Science fiction series from the 60's- 80's not quite sure when.

As I recall this series chronicled the rise in power of a man from his early manhood to his death.
    He rose to the position of Captain of a Space vessel, to the Commander of the fleet, to the dictator of the earth. A beneficial dictator as I recall. All of this was accomplished through people being attracted to him because of his compassion, loyalty, and dedication to all mankind. (Sounds like a hokey story line)

I vaguely recall he took command of the earth at a cataclysmic point in earth's history where immediate nuclear war/devastation was imminent. For some reason which now eludes me, ship captains the world over (I specifically remember the russians) no matter their nationality at this time followed his instructions even though they contradicted instructions by their countries leaders.
    With the help of these ships captains he became dictator over the whole earth.

My subconcious is picking at me....there is something in this series I need/want for a project I am working on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If noone remembers this series possible you could make some suggestions on avenues of research that might help me to find it.

thanks a lot, look forward to hearing from you all...

I never read it, but your description could fit what I imagine Bio of a Space Tyrant would be like.

Agree - it does sound a bit like the Bio Of A Space Tyrant series by Piers Anthony.

I just discovered that there's actually a sixth volume, Iron Maiden, that I didn't know existed.