King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar

To Re-Read Jordan????

Of lates, I've been thinking of re-reading the entire Jordan series.. Not in row..=) But, when I look back, some of those books are like, 10 years old.. How can I possibly remember everything??

Though, I was never a huge fan of the series towards Lord of Chaos, etc.. The characters really drove me mad..

BUT, their is a part of me that wants to re-read it.. I mean, the world building is utterly amazing.. Plus, if the series goes to 13, or however many books he plans to, let's face it, only a few of us can actually keep all the details in our head.. =)

Whatya ya all think?

Keyoke

the one good thing about Jordan is that just the epic proportions of his story make you want to go back and read it. However, for me, I am going to wait until the whole series is done and then see whether or not i feel compelled to read it. Right now, just the thought of reading it again makes me sick.

Actually, I have done the re-read thing for this series at one time simply for the enjoyment of it. I am a big Wheel of Time fan, and the books are so detailed that I found that I missed some important stuff the first time through. I won't read the whole thing again, but I'll probably do some refresher work before the next book is released since it has been so long since Path of Daggers was first out. Winter's Heart, I can't wait!! :-)

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    I hardly never rereading anything...
    I get bored if i already know how the story continues, except for some really great books.
    Like Roger Zelazny's for example.

My advice is don't bother I read the first 8 books all in a row and most of the characters annoyed the heck out of me even on the first reading. I certainly won't be re-reading any of his books. Jordan's world may be well-developed and intricate in detail, but if the company you're forced to keep as you journey through his world is as annoying as that I'd recommend another destination.
    Cheers,
    G.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    I wouldn't go that far...
    The wheel of time has a good world and the plot is superb.
    The characters are indeed mighty annoying (except for Mat, he rocks), but that won't stop me from keep reading the series.

I plan on rereading it someday too, it is just so complex. Except for Nynave folding her arms...

I have reread the ORIGINAL Dragonlance Chronicles a few times.

To me re-reading books that you like is like visiting with old friends: Sure you know what they usually say and what kind of banter you get into, but its always a good time.

Others I will re-read
    Gene Wolfe's BOOK OF THE NEW SUN
    Tad Williams MEMORY SORROW AND THORN

Having recently joined the ranks of those who have read the wot series I read them for the first time all at once, taking about three months to do so, except the first one which took three months by itself. I actually started rereading them and I found it really intersting. There is a lot of stuff especially in the first book that you know what they are talking about where as the fitst time I hadn't a clue. I really liked the prolouge or whatever it was with the dragon guy( I can't remember his name at the moment) and one of the forsaken. It was cool when I reread it beacause I actually knew who they were. I only buy books I plan on reading more than once and since I own these I definatly plan on reading them more than once.

Hmmm... rereading the entire WoT series seems a very daunting task to me. IMHO, it's not a particularly 'rereading friendly' series, considering the size of the series and the fact that the only thing that kept me reading in the first place was out of sheer exasperation trying to see how some complicated plot-threads were resolved! Now that I know how events turned out, I'm not too keen to tackle all that frustration again. ^_^ Plus, I agree with some of the posters here that a few of the characters can be downright bone-grating (usually the females I find). No, no re-reading for me, but I may reconsider in a few decades time, when I've forgotten the hero's name. (um, Randy-something-or-other...)

IMHO... ^_^

Keyoke:

I've read WOT up thru book 7 I believe. Very good series. The first time I read it was 4 years ago. And a year ago I decided to re-read from the begining, so I "could" read book 7 and understand what was going on.

The characters tend to bug me, half the time I'm shaking my head in horror/confusion/dumfounded frustration, but the story is so grand and there is so much detail that I see something new each time.

A friend of mine is also rereading the series for the second or third time as well. He really enjoys it. (then again.. he's read every d&d 2nd edition book out, and when bored goes thru the appendixes memorizing spells and creatures.. hmm... )

Personally, when I re-read it, I found myself skimming and then latching onto something I didn't quite remember. So whatever works for you.

dramoth (short for darkramoth) http://darkramoth.tripod.com

i have a friend who says the same thing. She has re-read the series several times, but she skips parts she doesn't like, or that she feels drag on, and on... I think that might be an effective way to re-read them, especially the parts where you 100 pages or so and felt like nothing important had happened.

i have a friend who says the same thing. She has re-read the series several times, but she skips parts she doesn't like, or that she feels drag on, and on... I think that might be an effective way to re-read them, especially the parts where you read 100 pages or so and feel like nothing important has happened.

I think if I did re-read WoT, I would go insane from some of the charaters' ramblings. Sadly, with the time between each new volume, I forget so much of what is going on, it makes each new volume a little more difficult to read.

Even though I've bashed Jordan a bit for his last few efforts, I'd have to admit a huge part of my problem has been I can't keep it all straight--especially when you read alot of books like I do.