Thread: Hard choice?

Guarded by the Moon Moderator Lani's Avatar

Hard choice?

Well, I always wanted to know how people choose new books to read. I could never just go to the bookstore and buy some book which cover I would find attractive.
    Usually I buy only books of authors I already read and know that they write pretty good or if any of my friends give me a good recomendation for the book, which discription sounds fine.
    So, what are you looking in a new book for?

[This message has been edited by Lani (edited October 06, 2000).]

Well, when I first started reading scifi/fantasy I found that the intros and descriptions on the back book covers were very helpful in making a decision as to which books to read. Back then a lot of the books had a summary type page in the front that told you a little bit about the characters and storyline. Now I always seem to be waiting on some book to be released in paperback. I've been reading this genre for a while and am familiar with most of the authors that are out there. However, I still browse at the bookstore for new authors that show potential for a really good read. I welcome other people's recommendations, but the choice I make is largely based on my own opinions.

Have you ever read Neil Gaiman? He writes science fiction/fantasy. I found his book through a book club, and I have been hooked on them ever since. I started with the book Neverwhere. It is a great book, in fact, I have read it at least 5 times, if not more. Also, he wrote the acclaimed Sandman comic series. He has written many graphic novels, and he has a couple short stories books out. If you are looking for a new author to start reading, then I suggest him. Start with Neverwhere and then continue on to some of his other books like Stardust, and Smoke and Mirrors.

Mmmmmm.....Gaiman. Can't go wrong with him. One suggestion to add: even if you are not a graphic novel/comic book person, go out of your way to get Stardust with illustrations. There are a number of versions of it: softcover graphic novels in a set of 4, those 4 hardbound into one book, and a "grown-up" version available in most bookstores with no pictures. Charles Vess did the illustration, and the pictures are wonderful. Definately worth a little hunting.

Anymore, I look for titles that people are excited about on Message Boards such as this one. I also rely pretty heavily on the book synopsis on the back of the book, such as with Lady Fox. I've even been known to buy a book on it's picture too! ) I tend to shop a lot at used book stores, so a lot of the books a buy are stuff that's been out for awhile, so you can usually find opinions of it on the net.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Hmm... i buy books usually on recommendations of people on the net or in real life.
    Also if i really enjoyed a book or a series i'll read more of that author... but i don't usually get a book by his cover...

Many of my favourite authors were initially recommended to me by friends who were also avid fantasy readers. My dad used to have an extensive collection of fantasy novels which I'd pilfer to read. Nowadays I buy most of my books from second-hand bookshops. I find it a cheaper alternative esp when I find books in good to very good condition (and usually 1st editions too!) ^_^
    As a result I guess I could afford to take a chance now and again with an unfamiliar author, but usually I tend to stick with the ones I KNOW I'm going to enjoy. I use the 'rule of priority', where I'd buy a book by a 'sure-to-be-a-good-read' author before taking a risk with an unknown (to me anyway). Still, since joining this discussion forum, new author names are tempting me to give them a try... ^_^

IMHO... ^_^

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Well, unfortunately, I have had the tendacy to buy books more or less on their cover. Yeah yeah yeah, DOnt judge a book by it's cover.. But, I do..=)

Though, these days, it primary just part intution, and part heavy review reading. Though, review reading, I think in general can be very harmful as it may give parts of the plot away, and sometimes have the tendacy to focus on the bad reviews, instead of good.

Of lates, I have been trying to judge grab whatever sounds good.. Take a chance, I mean, oddly, that is how I got into Fantasy..

I bought Magician:Apprentice SOLELY based on it's cover.. Wizard, little Dragon..etc..

I decide a few ways:
    1.) If I know one of my favorite authors will be publishing a book soon (i.e. RJ's WOT #9)
    2.) I surf the net, and message boards, and see what is new in stores (real stores too.)

Regardless, my "to read" pile is often about 5 books and I usually ask my wife to pick which one I should read next out of those 5.

I started off borrowing books from friends, but as my taste in fantsy developed and got individualized, I have started to look for other ways to find books. Unfortunately, there is not much of a selection of books available where I live, so most of the time I have to make do with what is available. On the other hand, my cousin likes a lot of what I like so we often pool together to get books that are highly recommended if someone is coming over from the US.

Of course, this is fantasy in 3rd world conditions...

There is one thing I sometimes do to introduce myself to new authors. It was alot more fun in the old days, because now I've read so many authors, and trying to keep up with them takes almost all my time.

Aside from getting reccomendations, reading reviews, etc. I use to goto the store, and if I wanted something new, but didn't know what, I would use the following method:

Place myself infront of the sff stands. Shut my eyes and randomly pick 3 books. If I had read one, it goes back. Then I'd read the first page of each of the three books and choose the one that hooked me the most.

Like I said, its kinda hard for me to do that today because I've read so many, but I do try to make room for a random new author now and then.

You get some crap, but you also can find a real gem sometimes.