Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar

Favorite Series..

Well, since we had the "Favorite Author" category, I figured, I'd start a Favorite Series.. Because, for me, the two lists differ slightly.. So, my list of fav series, in no particular order..

Riftwar Saga - Feist
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - Tad Williams
    The Black Company - Glen Cook
    Tears of Time (3 book series) - Nancy Asire
    Dragonlance Chroniclies - Weis & Hickman

Well here's my list. I'm just now getting into David Farlands Runelords and it seems pretty good so far. Still on book 1. The ones I've enjoyed so far are:

J.R.R Tolkien Hobbit & Lord Of The Rings
    David Eddings: The Belgariad/The Mallorean/The Elenium/ The Tamuli
    Piers Anthony The Magic Of Xanth
    Terry Goodkind: Sword Of Truth
    Robert Jordan: Wheel Of Time
    Raymond Feist: The Riftwar Saga and The Serpentwar Saga

I guess that I'll post my fovorite series. In no real order:
    -Memory, Sorrow, Thorn by Tad Wiliams
    -Every series by David Eddings
    -Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony
    -The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
    -Book of Words by J.V. Jones

Well, that's all that I can think of right now, but doubtless there are more that I am forgetting some.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    I'm kinda curious as to why ya picked J.V. Jones Book of Words as a fav? Dont get me wrong, I am curious in the series, and since you loved it, I like to know why. =) I just bought the Barded Coil, so, I am curous to this series as well.

Thanks.

Keyoke
    Honor to the House Acoma!

I've never read J. V. Jones' Book of Words so I can't comment on that but The Barbed Coil... ugh. Actually, it wasn't that bad - the concept of scribing being equivalent to magic was fairly cool but some of the stuff in the novel rates highly on my hoke-o-meter (the presence of the cute dog being foremost among them). It's a decent read but very predictable.

That said, here are my favourite series' in no particular order except for the one in which they were subconsciously arranged by my brain:

Book of the New Sun/Book of the Long Sun/Book of the Short Sun - Gene Wolfe
    The Eternal Champion - Michael Moorcock
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - Tad Williams
    The Belgariad/The Mallorean - David Eddings
    The Farseer - Robin Hobb

Now, all I need is to to actually read the first Book of the Short Sun.

Pax

Okay, the reason why I picked J.V. Jone's Book of Words series is that is had a good plot, believable characters, and kept me entertained throughout it. Also, many of the fantasy books that I read seem to just re-do the same plots and themes that others have aleady done. Now, with Book of Words, there was some of this, but there was also things that I haven't seen in other fantasy stories. If you want to read my full thoughts on this subject, then E-mail me, using the handy button above, and I will get back to you. Also about the Barbed Coil, the book was interesting, with the pattern stuff and all, but near the end it really got slow and consequently I haven't finished it yet.
    Oh yes, and I have another series to add to my list. It is the Chronicles Of Amber by Roger Zelanzy, and the usage of magic in it is very original. Should read it!!!

A note on the Book of Words trilogy by J.V. Jones. I definitely thinks this is a good series that is well worth the read, but I wouldn't go as far as saying this is one of the best.

In my opinion it starts out quite slow with the first book, it seems that this has been a learning experience for the author. It's first in the second and third book the reading gets really good (if you see what I mean).

Well here are my favorite series that i have read until the books are practically falling apart.

Terrygoodking -sword of truth
    Lynn Flewelling Luck in the shadows
    Mickey Riechert Zucker -The Renchai chronicles
    Robert E Feist- serpent war saga
    David Eddings -The Belgariad

Just bought J V Jones Book of Words, all three and Barbed Coil yesterday and was looking forward to them. Will still read them of course, it's interesting because I've heard good things of her, we shall see. My favourite series of all I've read so far has to be Katherine Kerrs book on Deverry, though the latest "Black Raven" seems to have lost a little steam, they are best read, all ten one afetr the other as the plot time jumps quite a lot and can get a little cofusing if you've read a lot between volumes.

What's this? Only one Moorcock fan? Well I suppose that I make two now.

Let's see, what series do I like?

The Sunset Warrior - Eric Lustbader
    Elric - Michael Moorcock
    The Eternal Champion - Michael Moorcock
    The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
    The Dark Tower - Stephen King
    The Black Company - Glen Cook
    Morgaine - C.J. Cherryh
    Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson

Here is mine favorite series:

L.E. Modsitt,Jr. - The Saga of Recluce
    - The Spellsong Chronicles
    Robert Jordan - The Wheel Of Time (THE BEST)
    J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of The Rings
    Tad Williams - Memory Sorrow And Thorn
    Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy
    George R.R. Martin -A Song Of Ice And Fire
    Terry Goodkind - Sword Of Truth
    David Farland - The Runelords
    J.V. Jones - Book of Words
    - Sword of Shadows
    C.J. Cherryh - The Fortress series
    Stephen King - The Dark Tower (Horror)

Lars Olav

Thanks for the inspiration, I'll surely reread this thread once I am ready for a new series.

My very favorite:
    Discworld Novels, Terry Pratchett

Tong-in-cheek stuff, I admit, but, IMHO, there is nobody more witty, funny and intelligent with such sharp observational and analytical powers as mr Pratchett.
    His latest, Carpe Jugulum, is another masterpiece that causes me to laugh out half-loud in a full commutertrain daily.

Dura, I agree with you, Discworld is a great series. I am so envious of you, we get the books much later here in the States. I remember laughing out loud on a plane reading Equal Rites. But my absolute favorite series hands down is the Belgariad.

No real order here:

Dragonlance chronicles - Weis & Hickman (although you can substitute any of their series here on the list).
    Riftwar & Serpentwar - Ray Feist
    Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever - Stephen Donaldson (ok, this is probably #1)
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - Williams
    Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind (puts Jordan to shame)
    The Liveship Traders -Robin Hobb (I haven't read her first series the Farseer, but its on my list after reading her newest, can't wait for the conclusion to the series)
    Spellsinger Alan Dean Foster (granted, the later books just weren't as good, but the first few captured my imagination and made me a reader of fantasy)

No one's posted to this topic in awhile so I guess I'll add my two cents. In no particular order my favorite series (that I can remember off the top of my head) are as follows:
    C.S. Lewis - The Narnia Series (the first fantasy books I ever read)
    J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings
    Jennifer Roberson - The Cheysuli series
    J.V. Jones - Book of Words
    Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time
    Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth

lastly I don't know if this counts as a series since there's only 2 books but Victoria Strauss' Stone books (The Arm of the Stone and Garden of the Stone)

[This message has been edited by devorah (edited February 25, 2000).]