Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When it comes to Jordan, I have this to say;

How many times can you possibly write the same book?

The series has been an endless rehashing of the same events and same situations over and over. It's ridiculous. And how long can you read about angst from characters? There are thousands and thousands of pages of what consists of a lot of bitching and a lot of whining "woe is me" type stuff. If Jordan had cut down on that aspect, and made the series a trilogy, it would be excellent stuff.

Now it's just a pain in the ass.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Funny, most people seem to like Goodkind, dont like Jordan, and people who like Jordan dont like Goodkind.

I'm lucky, I dont like either one much..

I read the first 7 Books of the Wheel Of time, and the First 2 books of Goodkind, so, I have given both these authors a chance.

A few reason why I dont like Jordan. The Characters.. To Angst-Ridden. Them drive me up the wall with their temper tantrums. I'd love to see a Chapter where they all sat down and worked together once without bossing each other about. The Plot, while I love it cause it's HUGE, I also hate it cause I can never remember what exactly is going on.

And, also, it does even look like Jordan has plans to finish this series.. I mean, c'mon...Enough is Enough.

Goodknd. To many sexual overtones in his series. I mean, he exploits it as much as possible, espically the darker side of it. Multiple Rapes and murder in the second book? Why is multiple rapes worse than just one? S&M all over the place. It turns me off from a book. And those are just a few of the scenes from the first two books..Plus, Richark and Kahlan.. They jsut continually moon over each other..'Oh, I live Richard. I love Kahlan..etc" Tiring for me. I also dont like Kahlan character, it seems they make up her powers as the story goes along...
    I did enjoy the crisp pace the series moved at, and some other aspects..but, not a fan, and I doubt I will ever go beyond what I have read.

Keyoke

Whats wrong with multiple rapes and murder? He's just not buttering up anything. In real life when a imperial army takes over the rape the women and kill off everyone. Why are you so disgusted to see it in a book? If it's too real for you then i guess u should read something more "watered" down but I for one am happy he didnt hold anything back... heh keeps me interested. But i do agree with you on Kahlan and Richard.. they are a lil too lubby dubby.. but then they get back to the killing and stuff so i'm happy

Just because they throw in a huge amount of rape and murders doesnt excuse it for being realistic. I've read books with darker overtones, and they've never had to be blantant. I honestly think GOodkind is just taking advantage of perverse and disgusting things to keep the reader..

People are drawn towards stuff like, the more perverse, the more attention it grabs. No, if I have to read a series that you considered watered down, so be it..

Well keyoke we are just at a disagreement then.. In the real world when an army pillages and invades a territory.. they dont bake cookies for the occupants. I dont believe Goodkind was doin what he did for perversive reasons or anything like that but to show that the world is a really sick world and there are people in it that are monsters. Granted i havent read a lot of fantasy books like the rest of you have but I'm the type of guy that hates when stuff is watered down for the "squemish". I liked Saving Private Ryan.. I liked Braveheart and not it wasnt just because of blood and gore.. but to show the realism of the real world. A lot of people thought Saving Pvt Ryan and Braveheart were too "disgusting".. well news flash War isn't pretty.. dirty stuff happens... Goodkind is just keepin it real..

Dont get me wrong, Saur..I agree with you alot, I mean, I've read the entire Black Company series by Glen Cook, and it's extremely dark and realistic.

But, as I said orginally.. It's just not that one scene. (SPOILER AHEAD)..

Wheir that girl gets raped by that giant beast with the Dark Sisters? Or those women in red who use torture as a will over men (Obvious S&M undertones).. Those are what I am saying. Myself, I dont like strong sexual over tones in my books. Realism, I'm with you completely.. And, to me, it seems, IMO, that he just wanted to shock you with Multiple Rapes as oppose to just one.

Plus, I dont like Goodkind's writing style..=) No worries though, difference of opinions which, I think we've both expressed.
    Reading Broterhood of THe Wolf, very good...Not far, a little lost cause it's been awhile since I read the first. Any idea when Wizardborn is coming out?

Keyoke

Can't say for sure, but I believe that Dave Farland posted on his website that Wizardborn was scheduled for a September release in the UK, and perhaps a similar release date for US.

For me it would have to be:

Lord of The Rings (surprise surprise)
    1st and 2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
    The Gap Series
    The Thrawn Trilogy

I have a lot of series that I have enjoyed, but I guess my favorites would be, in no particular order:
    The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    Fionavar Tapestry - Guy G. Kay
    Belgariad and Mallorean chronicles - Eddings
    Lord of the Rings
    Thomas Covenant 1 and 2
    Krondor series - Feist

Shanarra - Terry Brooks
    LotR - Tolkein
    Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
    Thomas Covenant - Stephen R. Donaldson
    Belgariad - David Eddings
    The Book of Swords - Fred Saberhagen (?)
    Riftwar Saga - Raymond E. Feist

Memory, Sorrow,and Thorn by Tad Williams
    Thomas Covenant 1&2 by Donaldson
    Dark Tower by Stephen King
    Fionavar by G.G. Kay
    Liveships and Farseer by Robin Hobb
    Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
    Dragonlance ONLY the books by Weis and Hickman
    Tyrants and Kings by John Marco
    A Song of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin
    New Sun by Gene Wolfe

my favorite series in order would have to be:
    1-Riftwar, Serpentwar, Krondor, and the Empire books. I still haven't read everything but this series is the one I love the most. It blows everything else out of the water. It helped me overcome the Jordan effect (more on that below)*
    2-The fionavar tapestry. I couldn't put down these books.
    3-the drenai series by David Gemmell. If you are a hopeless romantic, this series is very good although they don't label all the books.
    4-The Belgariad, Mallorean, Tamuli and Elenium. These books got me started on the road to fantasy. The newer books by Eddings have been a dissapointment though. How many different ways are there for telling the same story.

*the jordan effect.
    -i started reading this series and it was enjoyable if you got past the questions and their one page responses.
    ex. One character would ask a question and the other character would respond on the next page. in the middle of the question and answer, the second character pondered the question and thought about issues so irrelevant that when it came to the answer, i would have to flip back and see what the original question was.
    Needless to say, after about seven books of this, i got fed up and quit on the series. Went to my local bookstore and sold all seven book for fifty bucks. i swore that i would never look at another huge series again and well, i was very pleased to discover Raymond Feist.

Nothing prouder than seeing your own post with the most threads.. =)

Keyoke

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    My favorite series are:

The Dragonlance chronicles and legends by Weis&Hickman - The best group of heroes of all time, and nostalgic reasons.
    The Riftwar/Serpentwar/Empire books by Raymond E. Feist - Great saga, love, hate, war, quests, magic, everything you need in a series.
    The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan - Huge story, many plot twists and mysteries.
    A song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin - Almost as big as the wheel of time, more realistic, better writing style and much better characters, probably the best series out there.
    The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny - Zelazny's writing style... i love it.

I have lots of favourite series.. I have to agree with some people here. Goodkind is not all that good. His first book was interesting his second was mildly interseting and from there it just went downhill.....
    Favourite series:
    Tolkien Lotr
    David Gemmel Drenai Saga
    David Eddinds
    Tad williams Memory....
    Terry Brooks shannare series
    David Farland Runelords
    george RR Martin Song of ice and fire
    Salvatore Darkelf series
    Jordan wot

These are the writers I can think of right now. I'm sure that I missed a few.