Uh, Moderator
    Can you elaborate Fitz????
    Offer a literary criticism other than "boring"???

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Well, it was a while a ago and i don't tend to remember very well books i didn't like but i'll try.
    From what i remember the story centers
    around Sioned and Rohan and their love story while they are fighting against the High Prince (don't remember his name) who was a typical one-sided villain and not a very interesting character, in later books the story pretty much repeats itself only the heroes are Rohan's younger family members.
    The series doesn't have much action, mostly court intrigues between nobles, royalty and magic users and the intrigues are pretty slow and sometimes don't make much sense. Not like in Wurts&Feist's Empire trilogy or Song of Ice and Fire.
    Also there were endless boring descriptions and dozens of minor characters with weird names that i didn't really understand why i'm being told about when they have no real connection to the story, don't get me wrong i like the wheel of time and a song of ice and fire, i don't have anything against a big cast, but in Dragon Prince it seemed irrelevant and unnecessary, and all those minor characters had to find someone to marry of course... so if you like soaps i guess you could like that.
    The world of Dragon Prince is not very interesting too, you got basically one race (humans) and one political system that consists of many princes, one high prince and Sunrunners, magic users, that have some political role as well, kinda similiar to the Aes Sedai role in Randland.
    Basically, it seems that in this book the big love story of Rohan and Sioned and all the minor love stories are more important than the war against evil plotline, if you like that sort of stories you could enjoy it, but i didn't.

Uh, Moderator

Melanie Rawn question

Just wondering if anyone can provide me with the names of the books in Melanie Rawn's two trilogies (Dragon Prince and Dragon Star??????). I decided to read her a while back on recommendations, but when it comes around to buying them I don't want to fork out for the second series before buying the first (and seeing if I enjoy it)

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Dragon Prince is the only series i read from Melanie Rawn and it was extremely boring...
    Just a warning.

The first series is Dragon Prince, The Star Scroll and Sunrunner's Fire; the 2nd is Stronghold, The Dragon Token and Skybowl. I always enjoyed these books, though never really got into the Exiles series.

Uh, Moderator
    Ewww - that wasn't the impression I was given previously. I might pass to start with.
    OK - Next question. Can anyone tell me what the books in each of Robin Hobb's trilogies are?

The Assassin series:

1) Assassin's Apprentice
    2) Royal Assassin
    3) Assassin's Quest

Liveship Traders:

1) Ship of Magic
    2) Mad Ship
    3) Ship of Destiny

I can't recommend Hobb's books enough, they are simply fantastic!!