Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irish fantasy

bibliovore
    Evangeline Walton's retelling of the Mabinogion -- *The Island of the Mighty", *The Children of Llyr*, *Prince of Annwyn* and *The Song of Rhiannon* -- is a must-read for anyone who loves Celtic fantasy. OOP, but widely available secondland.

Some fantasy series using Celtic background:

Lloyd Alexander -- *The Book of Three*, *The Black Cauldron*, *The Castle of Llyr*, *Taran Wanderer* & *The High King* -- YA, but very enjoyable

Patricia McKillip -- *The Riddle-Master of Hed*, *Harpist in the Wind*, & *Heir of Sea and Fire*

Teresa Edgerton -- *Castle of the Silver Wheel*, *The Grail and the Ring*, & *The Moon and the Thorn*

R.A. MacAvoy -- *The Book of Kells*

As for direct Arthurian fantasy, my favourite series used to be Gillian Bradshaw's *Hawk of May*, *Kingdom of Summer* & *In Winter's Shadow*. But I now put Alice Borchardt's new series ahead of that -- so far *The Dragon Queen*, *The Raven Warrior*, eagerly awaiting the next! Rich characterization, detailed historical setting and wonderful Celtic otherworlds the characters journey into!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Paradise War trilogy by Stephen Lawhead. Great stuff.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Evangeline Walton's retelling of the Mabinogion -- *The Island of the Mighty", *The Children of Llyr*, *Prince of Annwyn* and *The Song of Rhiannon* -- is a must-read for anyone who loves Celtic fantasy.
    Good recommendation for this sort of thing, but do note that the books are actually in print. In the UK, you can get this Fantasy Masterworks edition:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...e=UTF8&s=books

In the US:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...e=UTF8&s=books

I'm not sure about the Mabinogion being included, really. It draws more heavily on medievil Welsh romances and Arthurian legend than anything else. If it connects to Iron age mythic cycles then it is through these.

The Fantasy Masterworks edition is certainly worth reading, however!

You could add this very recent UK release, it's from a small publiher and the book is called The Boss Throne, abou the last of the Druids.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...lance&n=266239

You could also get "Druids" by Llywelyn. And then there is Marillier's new series which I sadly didn't care for at all since it was so soft, starting with the Dark Mirror.

I live in Neverland. Atleast, that is where I want to live.

/agree

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B
    Dart-Thornton's work has evoked rather mixed responses here. However, Marillier's Daughter of the Forest was a very good read. It was, in fact, the October 2004 book club selection in our Fantasy Book Club.
    I loved this trilogy as well. I think I've read "Daughter of the Forest" a total of seven times. I couldn't help it!

The only book concerning Irish mythology I remember reading is a YA book called The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O'Shea.

Amazon UK link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...books&v=glance

Bumping this thread for anyone who has interest in Celtic Fantasy. I got my hands ofn the phenomenal Jim Fitzpatrick graphic novels, in which he displays his phenomenal art to adapt the Book of Invasions ( it's text plus full page art).

Funnily enough....

I was just researching Irish/Celtic legend yesterday for my book....Wikipedia had a long list of books relating to Druids, the 4 cycles of Irish Mythology (I recommend Ulster), Celtic legends....

I just bought The Boss Throne for my fiencee for christmas....

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Juliet Marillier is my favorite at the moment with Sevenwaters, but i would also mention Guy Gavriel Kay with "Fionnavar Tapestry" , "Tigana" and "Last Light of The Sun". Kay mixes more than celtic themes in his novels, but these three books i think are closer to the Arhurian style request in the initial post.

I haven't read anything by him, but he seems to keep popping up at the used book places I've been to recently: Kenneth C Flint. He has a number of series and standalones from the '80's dealing with Celtic legend/Irish mythology including the Gods of Eire series and the Finn MacCumhal series

In hindsight, some of the most authentic takes on Irish mythological cycles have been in 2000AD's 'Slaine' series.

I'm not sure how aware non-UK readers are of this excellent character, but pretty much all of it is available in trade paperback and hardback editions now.

Very good stuff, and capturing the frankness of the original stories when it comes to blood and guts, nudity and whatnot.

The thing about the Slaine series is that I could never get into the art. It was too extreme, too weird and too horror-like for me most of the time. I just didn't like how Bisley or those before him drew the characters.

On the other hand I loved the scripts, very interesting if you're into Celtic Mythology.

However there is now a brand new Slaine series out, still written by the same man, but with a new artist, Clint Langley. His art is amazing and can match the best artists in the US pound for pound. There are two hardcovers out sofar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slaine-Books...e=UTF8&s=books

Slaine

There is also a series of adaptations of the old comics in novel form, but rules preclude me from mentioing it... oh and shockingly bad reviews too heh.

Stephen Lawhead is really good The Song of Albion series had a lot of Celtic mythology in it. I liked it and I would recommend it.