R.A. Salvatore and the Forgotten Realms

I'd like to start this series. Which book should I start with and can anybody provide a timeline. I like reading books chronologically.

Thank you.

Although Salvatore wrote the Icewind Dale trilogy first, chronologically, the Dark Elf series came first. I think it is Homeland or something like that.

I loved Salavatore and the Forgotten Realms books, then again I was in the 7th grade. As mentioned above, Icewind Dale was written first, then the Dark Elf trilogy as a prequel to one of the characters. Three books of the Dark Elf trilogy being Homeland, Exile and Sojourn. I would probably start with Icewind Dale.

Are they worth a read or is it just bad writing?

Data Error
    It's light pick up and put down high adventure type fantasy. If you are looking for deep political machinations and in-depth character development you probably will not enjoy this (the dark elf trilogy probably has the most personal development). For what it is worth I enjoyed them quite a bit when I was in highschool and immediately afterwords, but I have not tried a re-read in a long time so, YMMV.
    Last edited by Industrious1; September 15th, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Forgot the "s" in highschool

I read these like crazy in high school. Don't expect them to be the best-written books you've ever read. But, they're good quality, fun, and fast-paced, if not "deep literature." Industrious is right--you won't find incredibly in-depth character development...but I think you'll come to really enjoy the character of Drizzt and his companions.

I would suggest starting with Homeland, especially if you like to read chronologically. That's what I did. I think if I had started with Icewind Dale it would have made the prequel trilogy less exciting.

Out of curiosity, what is YMMV?

Data Error
    Your Mileage May Vary. Sorry I get sloppy from how much typing I do at work

If it matters, the way they are publishing these now as "sets", Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn always come first, even though he wrote The Crystal Shard first.

As everyone has already said, start with Homeland. I really enjoy reading the books, they are a great way to unwind. But be careful, there are A LOT of them, so if you do find that you really enjoy them, you will have a lot of reading to do.

I agree that these are light pickups-
    I tend to read Forgotten Realms in between other series as kind of a breather-
    Fun high adventure with archetypal fantasy characters- everything's on the surface

I started with Dark Elf Trilogy and have worked my way up through Icewindale

JpG

Quote Originally Posted by dot_jpg View Post
    I agree that these are light pickups-
    I tend to read Forgotten Realms in between other series as kind of a breather-
    Fun high adventure with archetypal fantasy characters- everything's on the surface

JpG
    Agreed. I devoured these books in high school and they left me many good memories. Today they act as an occasional breather between the heavy stuff. They are fun and very fast to read through.

Definently give Drizzt a try. He rocks most of the time.

Books don't always have to be something groundbreaking...

I'd start with The Crystal Shard, as the Icewind Dale Trilogy is really where it all starts.

The Dark Elf Trilogy is exciting and chronologically starts it off, but it just doesn't have the bang that the Icewind Dale Trilogy has.

I liked Homeland, but I gave up on the books somewhere around Starless Night.

Nearly typed that as "Starkless Night"... must have ASoIaF on my mind.