Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to Start?

Homosap, the daft thing is that though a publisher will be reluctant about publishing a series until a writer is proven, in my case it is the Cormac series that is selling the best.

Yup, returning to Line War today after doing some editing on Hilldiggers. As I warned on my blog, prepare for RSI since I think this one is going to be rather large. After The Line of Polity I swore to myself that I wouldn't write anything bigger, but I don't think I'll be sticking to that.

Just been onto my local library to get a few books ordered for my time off over xmas. They're now ordering me The Skinner from another library in the county and I'll hopefully be picking up Cowl tonight. Just waiting for The Voyage of the Sable Keech to come back in and I'll be sorted

I'll probably try and get the Cormac series in the new year, but it'll take loads of time for them to get the books transerred from two or three other libraries.

Looking forward ot reading them and I'll have to post my thoughts here!!

EDIT: Quick question for Neal: Are all your books available in hardback? Just a query really, if I was to buy the books I'd prefer them in that format.
    Last edited by chitman13; December 15th, 2006 at 05:49 AM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Are all your books available in hardback? Just a query really, if I was to buy the books I'd prefer them in that format.
    I can help out there, I think, Chitman.

In the UK the only ones available in HB are Cowl, Sable Keech, Brass Man, Polity Agent and Engineer Reconditioned.

There is a US hardback version of The Skinner and Gridlinked from Tor, I believe.

And for those who haven't seen it yet, Here's the Hilldiggers cover (at least at the moment!)

Hobbit
    Mark

Mmmm, I note Amazon lists The Engineer ReConditioned as a hardcover, but I have to say I've yet to see one. Judging by the price I guess it must be. There's also an American edition of Brass Man due next January (excellent cover).

I'm not really sure why they missed out The Line of Polity ... maybe because I slag into a theocracy and mention Richard Dawkins...

Here's the back cover of Hilldiggers: http://theskinner.blogspot.com/2006/...ack-cover.html

Thanks for the info, it's something I'll belooking into in the new year, just need to read the books first, I'm sure they won't dissapoint!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Happy to help.

Neal, my copy of Engineer Reconditioned is a hardback and bought through Amazon, if I remember right.

Just so you've seen one:

Bigger version of picture here:

Hobbit
    Mark

Huh, miserable sods at Cosmos Books. They only sent me a few paperback copies of Engineer. Ah well. On another note, Macmillan will probably be doing a hardcover of Prador Moon sometime soon, and I'm also sorting out some stories for a collection.

http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

Ok Neal, consider this an internet version of a cracking whip, I've finished Polity Agent an hour ago and my impatience is already starting to show. Don't make me have to become your own personal internet stalker!

One question, coz I'm too lazy to search, I assume someone, somewhere, has broached the idea of what would ensue if the Spatterjay virus came into contact with a Jain node or Jain tech?

Homosap, no one has broached that idea. It's not even one I've thought of and maybe it's one I'll have a look at sometime. I see it as more likely to have happened before since Jain tech has been knocking around for millions of years. Maybe the Spatterjay virus is a result of Jain tech...

Quote Originally Posted by nealasher View Post
    Homosap, no one has broached that idea. It's not even one I've thought of and maybe it's one I'll have a look at sometime. I see it as more likely to have happened before since Jain tech has been knocking around for millions of years. Maybe the Spatterjay virus is a result of Jain tech...
    That was the idea that had popped into my head. I couldn't imagine anything like Jain tech managing to avoid evolving over that length of time. Due to the ultimately destructive nature it seemed obvious that a strain would emerge that broke the cycle of assist, takeover, destroy and seed. Both Jain and Spatterjay absorb information from the host and incorporate it into themselves. So I was imagining a Jain node that had taken over a host that had an incredible will to live and, once this was absorbed, this will caused the Jain tech to become Spatterjay. However Spatterjay continued to exist and evolve during the incredibly long periods of Jain hibernation.

Kind of along the lines of the best parasites being the ones that keep the host alive. You could even explore the idea of multiple versions of the evolved Jain tech, like the Spatterjay virus, existing on many previously undiscovered planets. The potentials from this would seem endless, fully integrated organic AI level creatures, others able to alter themselves at will to suit their evironment and so on.

Now reading Cowl by the way so you have a little breathing space before you need to finish Line War.......Al

Ookay, homosap ... I'm working. Can I stop for Christmas day at least? Pulease?

Hey, come-on! I'm birthing a novel every nine months, plus a few short stories and the odd novella. Consider yourself lucky - I'm not one of these artistes who struggles to produce something every four years and then has to rest because they're so exhausted. Poor darlings.

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    You crack me up, Neal. I'm glad you're prolific on this forum as well as squeezing out those novels. Each of your posts is like a little voice reminding me: read me next. That's important, given the hundreds of unread books on my shelves, all clamoring to be next.

My first by you, Gridlinked, will be my next read.

---------------------
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
    your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
    - George Carlin

Then my work here is done ... or ongoing. I hope you enjoy Gridlinked (of course) for then you'll have seven years and about a million words to catch up on. Then again, if you don't like it, try The Skinner...

Quote Originally Posted by nealasher View Post
    Ookay, homosap ... I'm working. Can I stop for Christmas day at least? Pulease?

Hey, come-on! I'm birthing a novel every nine months, plus a few short stories and the odd novella. Consider yourself lucky - I'm not one of these artistes who struggles to produce something every four years and then has to rest because they're so exhausted. Poor darlings.

Ok Neal, Xmas Day off but that is all!!!

Accepted you are pretty prolific but us fans are fast readers