Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to Start?

Neal, just read Adaptogenic on Inifinity Plus and loved it Very much whetted my appetite for your novels (damn the library for taking so long...)

Homosap ... and that's precisely why I've never understood the elements of competitiveness and jealousy in the writing world. No single writer can keep all the readers happy all the time. At best a writer might be able to grab a reader's attention for a few days, or a week, depending on the speed of reading, out of a year. If you fancy something else to read, here's a couple of (dated) top tens: http://books.guardian.co.uk/top10s/t...033620,00.html http://www.zone-sf.com/nealasher.html

Adaptogenic, chitman13 - one of those stories I very much enjoyed writing but now about 15 years old http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher/stories.htm It'll probably be included in a collection for Macmillan, updated and polished.

For those that haven't read "the Skinner," do so.

The characterization is great. Sniper is up there with Miles Teg (Dunes 5 and 6, Herbert) as one of my all time favourite characters. The ecology is also fascinating in and of itself. Great dialog. Love the hornets, and it's funny in a macabre sort of way.

Pay attention, though, because there are quite a few characters and it can be tricky to keep track of all of them sometimes.

The best part about reading Neal's books is the well defined sense of right and wrong and personal accountability to which all characters are held. I always say the second there's an AI capable of taking over the world, I'm inlisting.

Personality question - would you rather be a Golem or a Hooper? My brother says Golem. I say Gridlinked Hooper because you never have to think, "Am I alive?"

Finished The Skinner the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it - one of the best books I've read in a long time. I'm now onto The Voyage of the Sable Keech and very much ploughing through it and enjoying just as much as The Skinner, probabl because I find Spatterjay such a great place to set a story Still got Cowl to read and now awaiting Engineer ReConditioned through from amazon - the first purchase among many!

Keep the stories coming Neal!

Mmmm, Golem or hooper. Well, at least as a Golem there'll be no unpleasant transformations to worry about if you don't eat the right food ... come to think of it, that's rather the complaint most people suffer from nowadays.

Thanks Chitman, I'm working on it: about a third of the way through Line War now.

http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    My initial impressions, as posted in the Dec. reading thread:
    Before the month (and year) ends, I should report that I'm reading my first by Neal Asher, Gridlinked. Wow. And I'm only just past halfway.

I'm trying to visualize what Asher's dreams must be like at night. With an imagination like his, he must wake up in the morning tangled up in his covers, wild-eyed and exhausted from all his nocturnal adventures. Either that or he never sleeps, and writes for our enjoyment all his waking dreams and nightmares.

I would say that I sleep soundly, but that would be a lie. Not much in the way of dreams, but when they do appear they're usually in Technicolour with subtitles. In fact, a number of my short stories are based on dreams e.g. the first scenes in the story Spatterjay (published in The Engineer ReConditioned. A story which, along with another called Snairls, led to The Skinner) were from a dream.

It's all about that old dictum 'use it or lose it'. Not only does it apply to muscles, but to the brain as well and functions in that brain, like imagination. I've been reading weird **** and imagining and writing it for a quarter of a century, so I guess my imaginative muscle looks like its been on steroids.

http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

Neal, I've still got almost your entire back catalog to read before I have to wait impatiently for the next fix, but as long as you continue writing I'll be happy!

Speaking of your previous works Neal, do you still have copies that you sign and send out? I've had a quick look on your site but wondered what you still had left? If you need my email address to send any details just let me know!

Mark

I do still have various copies of my books that I have been signing and sending out, but you have to be warned that it can work out expensive. This is because packing a book in a padded envelope just won't do what with some of those working for the post using parcels to practise drop-goals. Right now, as I write this, I've got a claim I made against damage to books sitting on my desk, rejected for some daft reason -- books I had to send again so the cost to me was doubled, plus extra for the extra packing. Now I have to package them to survive such ill-treatment, which knocks up the cost of postage.

I understand what you mean - I've recieved some books in the past in less than great condition from both private sellers and what I thought were trusted companies. When I do start to look around about buying the books I may be in contact, I know Amazon do have a fairly decent packaging system but beyond them I don't know...

I had also ordered Alastair Reynolds' Zima Blue book from Night Shade Books last year and considering the book is only a few hundred pages it turned up in a box that should have contained about thirty copies - it gave me a bit of amusement, but I guess this is what alot of people have been made to do with such poor service by the mail these days

Then again, I see that you are located in North Wales, so that would make it a bit easier. All the parcels I've sent that arrived damaged (as far as I know) were to America and Canada. Contact me via the private message option here and my wife can let you know what's available and for how much.

'gridlinked' is where i started and i didn't see any faults - damn good stuff. i think cowl only divides opinion because it is so different and set in another universe - personally i thought it was great.....

just finished prador moon (too short but way cool) and 'the voyage of the sable keetch' which i held off for a while because a. i moved house, and b. i bought 'polity agent' first - and i love the cormac series the most.

I think Cowl demonstrates the dangers inherent in changing your 'product', but there are also dangers in not changing it at least a bit. Die-hard readers of the Polity books can be disappointed and react badly when I produce something different, however, with serialized books the window of entry into my stuff doesn't grow. On balance I would say that Cowl has probably lured in more readers than it's put off.

yes i agree with that completely. i think however anything else in that universe would be difficult - except in the near-future or far, far future timelines, otherwise the time-travel aspect and continuity would be a barrier!

cowl was also a complete mindbender - i liked the theory of time travel and the probability slopes in alternate futures/pasts but it was a challenging read at the time (which i like)!!

so will it be another universe then?

El-Prawno
    I have Gridlinked, Skinner and Cowl, and I'm about 1/2 through Gridlinked at the moment.
    Very good book so far.

I just have a question.
    Having read this thread, I've pieced that gridlinked, line of polity, brass man, polity agent and line war form a quintology.

from the bibliography, it leaves:
    Mindgames: Fool's Mate (1993)
    The Parasite (1996)
    Africa Zero (2001)
    The Skinner (2002)
    Cowl (2004)
    The Voyage of the Sable Keech (2006)
    The Engineer Reconditioned (2006)
    Prador Moon: A Novel of the Polity (2006)
    Hilldiggers (2007)

Are any of these connected?
    And which of these are short stories, and which are full length novels?