Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Defender of Cononicals Physics Knight's Avatar
    I love RH's work because she is a very accomplished writer. I love reading books where I don't have to nitpick at the clumsy prose, and the characters feel so damn reeal. Maybe she doesn't have the most dazzling of worlds, but they feel real enough, are consistant, and take a back seat to characterization. What is so wrong with that? For me a great book has great writing and great characters, and to heck with the rest. Well, okay I don't like Hemmingway even though he has amazing prose and realisitc people. But Robin Hobb clicks with me, and even if she is not your cup of tea, there is no denying her talent.

In Fool's Errand when
    Spoiler:
    Nighteyes died
    I was balling my eyes out for half an hour. I don't think any fictional events have ever affected me so much. Now that's the sign of a good writer!

And what is this about her being a "female" author? Since when is there a need to catagorize authors according to women and men. As Virginia Woolf wrote in "A Room of One's Own" a good authour is a female male or a male female. i.e. she/he tracends his/her sex and is simply the storyteller. That is what I get from a good author: when I don't feel the author's prescence at all in her/his work.
    Last edited by Physics Knight; August 14th, 2006 at 01:09 PM.

Fitzy Fitz

One hell of a character. And the big reason why the books he is in are so damn readable. Her appeal is for me she has six books with this marvellous character in.

After reading Feist, Jordan and Martin, I tried Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (only because someone gave me the first book as a gift). I usually don't read First Person books so I was surprised I enjoyed it.

Stock standard fantasy in general but I like the dual magic (Wit and Skill) idea and the fact that the characters were figuring out how to use them as they went along.

Fitz is an incredible character, and the supporting cast is strongly written, too.

The first book hooked me, the second one dragged a little until Cub became Night Eyes and Fitz stopped moping around Buck. And damn what an ending. Book three started off strongly with Wolf-Fitz and while the quest to find Verity was drawn out a little, I was entranced by the journey along the Skill road to the Elderling quarry.

I hope I enjoy the other trilogies just as much.
    Last edited by milamber_reborn; August 5th, 2010 at 02:23 AM.

You know what the problem is with Robin Hobb? She's sentimental. Like, everything is super emotional. Like, nothing can happen without, like, fifty pages of angst. W-whatever'shisname in Liveship is sold into slavery, oh no, let's just talk about that for like a hundred pages without anything ****in' happening! Oh, that, uh, A-bit, what was her name (I thought I remembered more of this - guess I expunged it) doesn't get what she wants? Oh no, let's have her moan and complain while all the while being supposedly "active" and "free spirited" what hosh posh. she's about as active as the big toe on a dead dog. Basically, all ofher books are like twenty pages of action and 999 about angsting about it.

So, in short, she's crap. My dog's arse writes more concise books.

Blog Entries
    That's actually what a lot of us like about Robin Hobb... that she can makes character that do a lot and have real feelings.

Robin Hobb's style is a bit unique, and while for some it might miss, when it works.. Well, she her ederling series is still by far my favorite fantasy series.

I admit though that if people prefer 'tough' characters that are afraid to fell, well... she might not be the one.

it's fine if they have real feelings, but why do they have to keep talking about them? it's like nothing ever happens that doesn't get analyze.d i don't get why she doesn't just pop out a couch and start the psychoanalysis, know what i mean?

I really wanted to like Liveship Traders, but got no further than the first book. It would have been all right if it was a third as long, perhaps. Far, far too slowly paced for my tastes.

I have never understood why Hobb has any fans at all much less a huge loyal following. This is probably one of the world's greatest mysteries. Assassins Apprentice is easily one of the worst fantasy books I've ever read. Her one dimensional characters are dull and lifeless to say the least and her world building virtually none existent. The entire first book practically takes place in the stables of a small keep. And her storytelling was just atrocious all around. To say Hobb is overrated would be a stupendous understatement.

The Trickster
    it's fine if they have real feelings, but why do they have to keep talking about them?
    Because Hobb's books are extremely character driven. They aren't about the action. This doesn't seem to be your cup of tea but it doesn't make Hobb automatically a bad writer. Plenty of great novels are relatively light on plot and heavy on character development.

W-whatever'shisname in Liveship is sold into slavery, oh no, let's just talk about that for like a hundred pages without anything ****in' happening!
    So you'd rather the characters take everything in stride?

Basically, all ofher books are like twenty pages of action and 999 about angsting about it.
    Not that this would be automatically a bad thing but that's not the case at all in Liveship Traders. Plenty of things happen, IMO.

Shadow's Lure (June 2011)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Are the other series better? Did I miss something that makes this series great?
    What you missed is that everyone has different likes and dislikes. Just because you don't "get" a particular author doesn't mean they're rubbish. In fact, to say as much indicates a serious lack of imagination.

And yet it's common enough that most everybody does it. Everyone mistakes "I like/I don't like" with "is good/is bad" which is just not true.

As for Robin Hobb, I tried the first Fitz book a few generations ago, but I never got around the second book. Maybe I should try again...

the Rake
    IMO Hobb's characterizations are the best in the business. The slow plot doesn't really bother me because that element is relatively low on my list of priorities but I do find her to be a bit overrated by the fantasy community (of course, this is speaking from the tastes and opinions that inform my perspective). I think I find her writing style to be a bit workmanlike for my tastes - not evocative like McKillip, LeGuin, etc. or razor sharp like Harrison or even Martin.

I would guess she made such a strong impression on me, even though her books are not technically 'the best', because she's the only author, (or director, etc), ever to make me get a little teary-eyed over fiction.

Personally I find Hobb's work hard work, but extremely rewarding. I also find that I enjoy reading Hobb more in certain moods.

For me, Hobbs Farseer Trilogy just really hit me on an emotional level. I will just sit back and think of young Fitz in book 1, and all the horrible things that happen to him by the end of book 3. It is one of the few series to make me cry a little bit...my fiancee loves them all too.