Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charles De Lint

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    For more info, we already have 4 other threads devoted to Charles de Lint, the last one of which can be found here:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...highlight=lint

Talking Any Charles De Lint fans?

I have been reading CDL for over 15 years now since I first picked up moonheart on a summer holiday in wales.

I have since got almost everything he has published (even his horror stories written under a different name) and I crave for his next release.

(I once even received an email from him after I mailed him a cd I thought he would like)

(that makes me sound like a right stalking nutter doesnt it? I swear I'm not!!)

Anyway, I think he is the king of urban fantasy, is there any other fans here?

Checking in.

THUNDERCATS HO!

There are a number of other de Lint threads with loads of information and other fans (more than a rew around here).

Several Charles de Lint threads merged including the recent "Any Charles De Lint fans?"

I recently finished Medicine Road - which was previously only available in limited edition and is now re-released. It was excellent - can't recommend it highly enough.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I got an arc of Eyes like Leaves, his new novel due from Subpress. I like it a lot sofar, very much high Fantasy, lots of nature elements, magic. Early De lint, not urban Fantasy.

I got one too - I plan to read in the next month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    Leiali:

You could try Robert Holdstock or Patricia McKillip, they certainly come first to mind.
    I've only read Yarrow and Greenmantle but would agree that Robert Holdstock covers very similar themes, although in my opinion Holdstock does it better than de Lint. Probably because it's much less dreamy than de Lint's stuff.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbjorn View Post
    I've only read Yarrow and Greenmantle but would agree that Robert Holdstock covers very similar themes, although in my opinion Holdstock does it better than de Lint. Probably because it's much less dreamy than de Lint's stuff.
    Holdstock is less dreamy? Holdstock kept putting me to sleep when I read Mythago Wood, lo, these many decades ago. Hate to think what De Lint would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Radone View Post
    Holdstock is less dreamy? Holdstock kept putting me to sleep when I read Mythago Wood, lo, these many decades ago. Hate to think what De Lint would do.
    Ha ha, best avoid him then, unless you've had a few coffees before hand!

I've not read many of this authors books, but what I have read I've had mixed reactions to

Greenmantle - I really enjoyed this book, loved the characters and the strange creatures that blended quite well with every day life

The Onion Girl and Memory and Dream - these I found only a fair read, parts of the storylines I enjoyed, but they can be bleak. Too much focus on relationship and personal problems for me

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    My favorite is still Moonheart. I even made an avatar from its cover.

My favorite remains Moonheart too, the first of his I read. His style isn't really dreamy IMO, except for perhaps one or two books. It is very visual, and his characters are often involved in arts and music. He likes to change his style depending on what sort of story he's doing, so some of his novels and stories are very comedic, some are very dark and horror based, some are more suspense and some are big high fantasy epics. My big problem is trying to remember all the recurring characters, because they are often popping up in stories. I wish he had an index of them somewhere. But you don't really have to be familiar with them to read most of the books. It's not one big story. Basically at this point you can pretty much browse among his prodigious output and just find a story that sounds good to you.

I've been meaning to read De Lint for years: I've had a copy of Moonheart on my shelf since 2003.

I also picked up Into the Green--anyone have an opinion on the later since Moonheart seems pretty well loved?