GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar

The Big Time! What a blast!

The gossip mills! I was shocked to learn (by an anonymous email) that I am a victim of rampant gossip! If it had to do with my books, then I would be as happy as a pig in ****. You know what they say about publicity? As it is, I'm just flattered.

The New York Post, one of the city's popular newspapers, runs a very well known gossip collumn titled Page Six authored by Chris Wilson. On July 4 he wrote an aritcle. The web blog, A Socialite's Life, discussed the aritcle, and some of the participants in the discussion were trying to guess the actors involved in the first part of Wilson's comment. Then one person proposed me as the 'real' name behind the second part! It's an outrageous claim for sure, and since I haven't been to Las Vegas in five years, and the last time I was there I was with my youngest son and my wife, I find it rather comical. I also find it amazing! I feel sorry for the actors and actresses who have things like this written about them daily. Poor Brittany! Poor Lindsay! And poor, poor Paris!

The really important question is, how does one deal with this type of garbage? Deny it? Ignore it? Laugh about it? For me, it doesn't really matter. I don't particularly care what's said about me as long as it's not something negative about my books. That would hurt. But it's still incredible to me that someone would even say something as stupid as this. I'm glad I don't have to deal with this crap on a daily basis.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07042006...g_pagesix_.htm

http://socialitelife.com/2006/07/05/...is_trailer.php
    Last edited by Gary Wassner; August 17th, 2006 at 07:51 AM.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I must say that I am VERY disappointed in you, Gary.

I'm not being ungrateful, the meal at Mass, a wonderful restuarant in the Village, was really nice and very generous of you... BUT COME ON... if I'd known you were into hookers and strippers we could have had a REALLY good week in NYC!

Do you want me to leave Miss E at home when I come back... or, ahem, should I bring her along even more so, now!?!

Come on Juzz! Do you think I'm foolish? Too many people know me in NYC. I can't ever do what I like here.

Wow, nice one Gary!
    So you're media gossip material now?

Who were the rest of those names being kicked around in that article....

Tom Cruise, Brandon Routh, Matthew McConaughey, Penelope Cruz, Kevin Spacey and... Gary Wassner.

Not too shabby

Just remember there's no such thing as bad publicity (apparently)

Oh right... so we're not good enough friends for you to invite me to Vegas?

Come on, dude! I'm a rockstar and totally down with the Cocaine and hookers!

I should conduct a special interest group at WFC in Austin in November. Teach all those literati a thing or two! I can bring my posse.

Think of the Buzz, Gary... if you turned up with an entourage of beatches, wearing some BLING... get your teeth gold-capped and buy some pants that are too big for ya.

You would win over about three million fans if you 'popped a cap in the ass' of Jordan!

I've never tried to segue my notoriety in my other life into my role as an author! Is this the opportunity? Need I call upon my friends in NYC to spark interest in my books? It's a natural segue, isn't it? Ethically inspired quest novels inspired by sex starved hookers and fashion moguls.

(Has anyone read Mieville or Pinto recently?)

You're not in the bigtime yet, dude, till the Post itself actually tries to nail you. So far, all you have is someone (who probably knows and dislikes you,) putting up a comment on a blog that is encapsulating recent media gossip. Not that it makes it less upsetting, but you don't really have to worry about spin yet, as they were much more into discussing Kevin Spacey's love life.

If you ever do have to worry about spin, avoid the example of clueless actors -- don't deny or confirm what is speculated. Don't discuss it. Release no press announcements or statements about it. If anyone mentions it to you, raise your eyebrows in polite incredulousness as if they just told you they collect Dukes of Hazard memorabilia or have been visited by alien life forms, and you can't understand why they are bringing such a subject up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wassner
    I've never tried to segue my notoriety in my other life into my role as an author! Is this the opportunity? Need I call upon my friends in NYC to spark interest in my books? It's a natural segue, isn't it? Ethically inspired quest novels inspired by sex starved hookers and fashion moguls.

(Has anyone read Mieville or Pinto recently?)
    Why haven't you? Are you saying you haven't been having every fashion society friend you know throw you a book party, and if not, why not? I read Mieville's "Iron Council" fairly recently, why?

Rag-trade Titan

Is there something your'e not letting us know (hee hee). I wouldn't worry too much. But be careful, if things escalate we might have to start a similar thread to the Paris hilton one