Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

How-To Discussion of Promoting and Marketing Novels and Written Works

The following thread started out as a discussion in the 'Post your progress' thread, and covers the controversial topic of authors self-promoting at discussion forums. On the one hand, publishers and agents urge new authors to get their presence and their name (and the name of their books) out there on the World Wide Web...

To spam or not to spam, that is the question...

Some forums, such as this one, have rules against spam however, more importantly, what are the members' views on authors turning up simply to pimp their work?
    Last edited by juzzza; August 25th, 2006 at 03:22 AM.

Learn from My Mistakes

I recommend that you govern enthusiasm. I got and still have too much, especially since I'm trying to contribute to a worthy cause. Consequently, I've made lots of mistakes with self-promotion, but, on the other hand, lots of positive results also. Again, good luck!

I don't think people should govern ethusiasm... just their behaviour.

I'm all for self-promotion, it's when it becomes shameless self-promotion, where every interaction becomes a 'sell' when things get tiresome. I just completed a thesis on publishing, which touched on this very subject and included a fascinating focus group with consumers and published authors and their thoughts on authors self-promoting... it's the very reason I met my publisher in the first place and they are VERY aware of my thoughts on the subject and what I expect...

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    What do you expect?

A relationship, good communication, hard work and to sell nowhere near the amount of books that you have sold!

Actually, it isn't about what I expect at all, that was a poor choice of words... it's what my thesis proved to be true (depending upon your interpretation of the results)... and it gives publishers a good insight into the postmodern genre consumer and how they like to be treated and what doesn't work.

Is that the answer you were looking for, or did you want a 'no brown M&Ms' rockstar rant?

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    A relationship, good communication...
    That's a bit ambitious!

Hmmm this is something that I'm interested in. If I have a relevant comment to a forum that is insightful and thought. And then slip in the end that if anybody is interested they can check out my latest short story here is that good communication or shameless self promotion?
    Last edited by Hobbit; October 23rd, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Irrelevant link removed.

Well said.

I'm a novice and still learning. My master's is in social work and I never had to promote any of my prior works. I just turned in close drafts and others took care of the rest.

Promotion Thesis -- Any snippets expected?

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    I don't think people should govern ethusiasm... just their behaviour.

I'm all for self-promotion, it's when it becomes shameless self-promotion, where every interaction becomes a 'sell' when things get tiresome. I just completed a thesis on publishing, which touched on this very subject and included a fascinating focus group with consumers and published authors and their thoughts on authors self-promoting... it's the very reason I met my publisher in the first place and they are VERY aware of my thoughts on the subject and what I expect...

Hello Juzza:

Will you be sharing any snippets from your thesis? It sounds interesting?

Update: Just found post regarding thesis. I realize this is an old post. Sorry.
    Last edited by RiaStone; January 7th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.

I thought publishers thought we were just the annoying extras that clutter up the christmas party... well that's what they told me after a few drinks. Have you found some that still like authors? Are they brand new?

I went looking for roberteggleton's "my satirical essay" presuming it would be linked from his profile, but it's not. As a writer who teaches satire and doesn't sell much writing, satire about selling writing seems appealing, and I've seen really annoying writers do really well and their only talent seems to be the ability to make people give in.

Where can I find this mysterious document of which you speak, roberteggleton?

I assume this is the one.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquin
    I assume this is the one.

J
    Hmm, not sure that I can detect the satire there. But look, the bottom line--practically speaking--is that there are ways to self-promote one's work without pissing other people off. It's a pretty sure bet that if your first post on a site is nothing more than a banner ad linking back to your own website, especially where said website exists by selling ad space, then you're going get deleted. It's another safe bet that if you go to an author's site--which exists to promote her own work--and start going on about your stuff, that the website owner is going to ask you not to come back.

The issue of the first amendment is a strawman. It has no application to a forum posting on a private website, Lacy Dawn's opinion notwithstanding.
    Last edited by BrianC; August 17th, 2006 at 11:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Very good comments, is it possible for the mods to split the thread, removing the sections on the latest topic and placing them in a new thread???

Thank you Jacquin

for posting the link. I was afraid to do so. Would a link to the publishing house be okay as part of my profile?

Sure thing, you can link to wherever you want in your profile.

J