Quote Originally Posted by AZimmer23 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but is everyone here familiar with Ralan's Webstravaganza? It's essentially a site that lists many outlets (web and print mags, publishers, etc.) for selling stories, poems and art and includes pay rates, contacts and where to submit.

My question is this. Is it bad form to submit a story to more than one outlet? I guess it could be embarrassing or even downright bad for a burgeoning career if two people want to publish a story. One gets it and one is irritated and may blacklist you.

On the other hand, some publishers have such a long turn around and limited submission times, so only submitting to one at a time seems like making the mistake of throwing all of one's eggs into a single basket.

I'm in a quandary here. Any advice?
I've never written for the short fiction market - so don't know etiquette, but in general I suspect each publiation will want an exclusive for some period of time (1 year, 2 years). With the rate of rejections, it may be that you need to submit to several simultaneously...but if someone picks it up you should write to the others withdrawing it from submission so they don't waste their time. At least that is a the approach I would take if I were doing it - for what it's worth.