Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

questions

I have found this site to be both informative and entertaining, a credit to both those who run this site and those who visit it. I mostly "lurk", due in great part to my own day job as well as my free time spent on being the editor for Honor Studios (comic book publisher), my own writing, as well as critiquing other writer's work (my current project a read through of Eldon Thompson's 3rd book in the Sword of Asahiel trilogy - yeah, I'm excited about that). I'm currently writing chapter 12 of a 16 chapter book (probably around 150k words, possibly more). The book's working title is - The Message.

The other night, I was speaking to an editor friend from DB Pro (they do comic adaptations of mostly fantasy novels - though some horror and sci-fi as well). He said that I should begin designing a website in order to begin to build a fan-base.

Given that I still have 4 chapters to go, easily 6 months worth of work just to finish the 1st draft (or at least the first one I'm comfortable enough with to call an actual draft), What's your thoughts?

What sort of things would you include?

Some of his ideas was:
    artwork
    blog
    'side' stories (so that I don't potentially run into a challenge of having any of my book previously published).

ANOTHER QUESTION - If I put the prologue on the site, would that cause a challenge to finding publication?

Some ideas I've come up with for the "possible" site would be:
    map
    fiction based on the world that is written by others. (I know that seems odd given the book isn't out, but I do have a small group that has helped in fleshing out the world and are fairly accomplished writer's in their own right).
    Comic book short stories

I guess I would be interested in other's responses to these ideas. To have a website is nice, but if I do it, I want the time well spent. Your thoughts would be greatly helpful!

warren

Quote Originally Posted by warfitz45 View Post
    er night, I was speaking to an editor friend from DB Pro (they do comic adaptations of mostly fantasy novels - though some horror and sci-fi as well). He said that I should begin designing a website in order to begin to build a fan-base.

Given that I still have 4 chapters to go, easily 6 months worth of work just to finish the 1st draft (or at least the first one I'm comfortable enough with to call an actual draft), What's your thoughts?
    Get your website online as fast as possible and fill it with interesting tidbits about you, samples of your writing and not just writing that's about to hit print, photos, images from the story, a link to a blog (I suggest using blogit or livejournal)

And get over to myspace and lock in your name before someone else gets over there and takes it. Even if you don't do anything with the space for your name, claim it so someone else doesn't. That's happened to a lot of authors and other famous people lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Williams View Post
    Brian, what percentage of traditionally-published novels get that kind of treatment?
    Don't know, probably it's a relatively small percentage of books from the major imprints, but not sure that it matters. What matters is that some books get that kind of support, which means that to attract some of the attendant buzz takes a great deal of effort whether you're mislist or with a small press or self-published. I think it illustrates that you're got to be creative to promote yourself, because you ain't gonna get a spot on the table at the front of the store, or aisle displays, or any of that even if you manage to get a few inches of shelf space.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Got my copy of Locus yesterday and there was an interesting approach to promotion in there... I'm not a regular Locus reader so I'm sure it has been done before, but I liked it nonetheless.

As per most magazines, there are three staples along the spine holding the pages together. In the centre pages, held firm by the top two staples, sat a little booklet, containing a sample chapter of Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. It was high quality and full colour (the book cover at least). Very nice.

Blog Entries
    That sounds a good move.

One thing I noticed was the tonnes of flyers, bookmarks and post cards at Eastercon. The tables were littered with them. Most, sadly, being used as beer mats

On the same theme I came across this link on Miss Snark, keep clicking it is a website for a new author. Even if the book is not your cup of tea the website catches your interest.

http://noonebelongsheremorethanyou.com/

Was it the same sample chapter that was posted at the author's website? You know, the one that goes on forever and where nothing happens?

self promotion

i've just sent posters and promo material and had some good responses. i'm going to do t shirts with direct marketing information

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    Got my copy of Locus yesterday and there was an interesting approach to promotion in there... I'm not a regular Locus reader so I'm sure it has been done before, but I liked it nonetheless.

As per most magazines, there are three staples along the spine holding the pages together. In the centre pages, held firm by the top two staples, sat a little booklet, containing a sample chapter of Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. It was high quality and full colour (the book cover at least). Very nice.
    I would be very surprised if the author was doing that as a self-promotion. It would have to be quite expensive to do that; sounds more like a publisher-funded sort of thing.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Oh sure, it is most definitely a publishing house, big budget move!

Just liked the premise.

It's something they've done before, but not a lot because it's pretty expensive. Heard of another good one, again a publisher idea but perhaps more replicable -- a mystery novel whose ARC copies from St. Martin were sent out in evidence bags with a DVD of the book's locales in Portland, Oregon where the book is set. There's a lot of swag bag and gimmick stuff that writers or publishers have tried from time to time, but not frequently because there's not enough money for it and people are happy to take swag, gizmos, chocolates and then ignore the book.

Re: Pat Rothfuss' novel, DAW is really getting behind this one. Pat and I share a publisher, so I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an advance review copy. The cover describes it as the best first fantasty novel the editor has seen in 30 years.

Even the big publishers don't do this kind of push for everyone. I would love to steal Pat's publicity budget for my next book

Fortunately, Pat's a nice guy, and what I've read of the book so far has been quite good, so it keeps me from getting too jealous.

author:chroniclesofsoone James Somers's Avatar

Wink Shameless self promotion alert!

JIm Hines--big shout out--Goblin quest was cool!~

whoops....amended
    Blessings,
    James Somers
    Last edited by James Somers; July 27th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Hmmm...I guess somebody didn't quite read the thread and realize members don't want posts that primarily advertise their own work.

Self-Promotion

Has anybody here had any actual success self-promoting their work? If so, can you share it with us?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I would say Gary Wassner, for one. Have a look at his section in the Forums.

Hobbit
    Mark