Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    Hey folks,

I just wrapped up a contest on my website/blog where I gave away a free ARC of my new book. While I'm not going to be able to obtain any hard evidence on whether or not the contest will sell any additional copies, I can tell you that the response I received was much larger than I expected. So big that I now wish I had more ARCs to give away and a budget to really promote it.

This is definitely something I'll want to do better with my next book.

--Jon
    Hey Jon -- I, too, have found that giving away copies has been my best strategy for selling copies. Interestingly (depending upon the vendor), the free copy and the giveaway are sometimes listed side by side... and some people will actually pay, even when it's not required. Who says chivalry is dead? (Note: obviously, this strategy is easier with ebooks than with paper-'n-ink).

Good luck in all -- WB

Blog Entries
    And I missed it though I did see the original plug ... always back to the old thoughts on promoting. Sell without selling and people are more receptive. For here, get to know everyone, have fun with the FF's (if anything, not only does it showcase what you can do, but you learn things too and have fun at the same time!), have a crack at the short stories (I'll get a vote one day) and, if you're nice enough, people will check you out and what you've written in your own time...

Well done mods. Not a task I'd wish upon anyone. (do you get any sleep at all?)

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks ML.

You know, there are days when we wonder whether anyone actually understands what we do here. Your post, and the ones in the thread remind us that sometimes, sometimes, members do.

It also annoys us when there are those who do it right.... who have to put up with those who don't.

Sleep? I've heard about it.....

Apologies for the slight diversion, all.

Mark
    Mark

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Window Bar View Post
    Hey Jon -- I, too, have found that giving away copies has been my best strategy for selling copies. Interestingly (depending upon the vendor), the free copy and the giveaway are sometimes listed side by side... and some people will actually pay, even when it's not required. Who says chivalry is dead? (Note: obviously, this strategy is easier with ebooks than with paper-'n-ink).

Good luck in all -- WB
    That sounds choice. Sometimes I wish I had that flexibility and control. Other times I'm glad I'm just the hack in the back churning out pages.

Fresh as paint

Hey, I just joined. Trying to get started. Interesting blog. Hits close to home.

It's tough trying to get an agent to read your work. I've thought about self publishing, but was told if I did that, publishers will never consider you seriously. Lot's of self-publishers said I had a good book, but the cost of their services are high.

I got lots of good ideas reading what the others here have posted. Will keep checking in. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Why do people keep calling this a blog?

Tremendously confusing...

I liked the deleted posts. They were a lot of fun

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fung Koo View Post
    I liked the deleted posts. They were a lot of fun
    That's what I get for having a job - I missed them all!

This might be helpful;

Anyway, my publisher (I don't know if I'll get used to saying that) put together a "media kit" for my upcoming book. It includes:
    - A picture of the book cover, basic information and Synopsis; i.e. the blurb and the purchasing information.
    - Author Bio (which according to my daughter is boring)
    - Book Excerpt, basically the first chapter.
    - Important Links, like to the publisher, the book website (thanks again for the advice), where to get a reviewers copy.

It's the kind of thing that comes in handy. I have something all ready to send to the local paper to see if they want to review it, or the many, many indie books stores in the area to see if they want to advertise an e-book. (hey, you never know.)

If you want to see what mine looks like you can go to my username page. I have the address in a post right now (I'll add those to contact info soon, promise), the book site is at wordpress and the media kit is downloadable on one of the pages. No purchase necessary. The extra traffic might make me look good.

B5

Looks good Stephen, congratulations.

One thing I would recommend though, if you want your book to have its own site, is to purchase a domain name like www.tinkerstalebook.com (tinkerstale.com was taken), and then pay the yearly fee to have Wordpress map your blog to the new domain. It's under the Upgrades section of the dashboard, 'Add a Domain'.

Just my opinion, but I find blahblah.wordpress.com to be a little unprofessional.

EDIT - I noticed that the wordpress blog has more than just the book, but the idea is the same - get www.stephenjones.com or something like that...

Can anyone tell me what I should expect/watch out for on a virtual blog tour? Do these things really work?

B5

(One thing after another, i seem to be the needy author lately.)

Newbie :)

I just published my first book. It's through a very small publishing house with no marketing, at least imo no marketing. But I knew that getting into it. I couldn't get an agent to read my work without being published, couldn't get a publishing house to look at my work without an agent. This was better than self publishing. So.... that leaves marketing up to me. I figure the first place to start is to have it reviewed. Does anyone know reviewers willing to give it a read or which reviewers are best to go to?

Blog Entries
    Hey LadyCass... what type of book do you have? (congrats by the way)... as this will depend upon where you get it reviewed. I started off googling reviewers and had limited luck but then got a few lists from here through various threads and now I'm currently going through a masive YA review list... I've been emailing a few blog reviewers a day and I'm still up to B in the A to Z list... I review the occasional book on my own webiste (you can see my website if you look at my private details), but if you have a YA book, I can certainly hook you up with a few reviewer lists...

MrBF1V3 - I'd like that question answered too as I haven't really gone beyond the interview / blog review stage... I think the next step is blog tours... but will wait until next month when I'm not so flat out!

Quote Originally Posted by MLSawyer View Post

MrBF1V3 - I'd like that question answered too as I haven't really gone beyond the interview / blog review stage... I think the next step is blog tours... but will wait until next month when I'm not so flat out!
    Well, I'm in it ready or not. I'll let you know.

& LadyCass, start reading this thread from the beginning, it's an education.

B5

My book is a fantasy. Looks like I have some reading to do.... I'll check out the thread from the start.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm in it ready or not. I'll let you know.
    Good luck MrBF1V3! Blaze the trail!