Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBF1V3 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what I should expect/watch out for on a virtual blog tour? Do these things really work?

B5

(One thing after another, i seem to be the needy author lately.)
    According to a number of authors they do. Blogs are widespread word of mouth. So good luck Mr.B!

More stuff, since I'm in the middle of it. Flashshots e-publishes genre stories of a hundred words or less, and they allow you to put two pictures and to advertise your book if you're accepted. Free advertisement!

The site is: http://www.gwthomas.org/flashshotindex.htm

I believe they're looking for submissions.

B5

Blog Entries

Media Kit

I thought I'd just put it out there to see if anyone has ever created their own media kit for a novel release. If so, what did you put in it? (Or if you were going to have one what would you do?)

Blog Entries
    What are you referring to as a "Media Kit?"

Are you intending to go to local trade shows in your area? Are you attempting to reach out and create a press release? Were you going to do only a digital press release of sorts?

Please define HOW you would like to reach out to others? Also keep in mind how modest your budget may or may not be, as this will redefine HOW you tell the world about your new baby being born

Obviously MLSawyer you've seen my media kit, and I don't think I'd change a thing. The most important things are a description of the book, a visual of the cover, and excerpt of the book and contact information. (If you want to see it virangelus, click on my username and go to my website, then click on the media kit--from that page you can download it.)

Primarily you want to send it to people who review books, who have blogs, or who can help with word of (electronic) mouth. You can send it to the local paper--the chances of then using it go up when the paper is smaller, go figure. It's basically a press release. The way publishing is changing, it's not enough to write an okay book; you must generate interest through sources people trust. You must draw attention that sets you apart from the other half a million people who just put their book on smashwords. A publishing company will help with that, but unless they're big and they think you have something very special-you'll be doing a lot of your own advertising.

B5

Blog Entries
    I was thinking something similar to yours MRBf1V3 something that can be downloaded from my website. I'm already building a list of reviewers who have read or will read book 1 (so far I haven't had anyone trash book one and they all seem pretty keen about receiving an arc of book 2)

virangelus - I was more thinking an electronic media kit / press release. I'm not planning on attending any conventions or anything like that until a few years / books later (I've got 7 in the pipe line with 1 to be released each Dec in time for Christmas). Budget isn't huge, but website, email outs, video, limited google and facebook advertising...

I'll have my media kit up and running I think once I finish my book teaser (I have one on my website for book 1... but book 2 book teaser is a much more creative affair. (book1 - just some slides and moving words... book 2... think... original hulk cartoon animation )

I just thought I'd throw the question out there to see what others are up to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MLSawyer View Post
    virangelus - I was more thinking an electronic media kit / press release. I'm not planning on attending any conventions or anything like that until a few years / books later (I've got 7 in the pipe line with 1 to be released each Dec in time for Christmas). Budget isn't huge, but website, email outs, video, limited google and facebook advertising...
    Thank goodness for the internet! Great, cost-effective method of making your voice heard.

MLSawyer, it sounds like you already have a cover and images?

Blog Entries
    Cover image, publisher has the page up about me, pre-orders and so on... but was going to get this up on my site as well on my 'media page' where I have things like a newspaper article, links to interviews and so on. Making a video takes for ever!

I haven't done a press release yet! Sounds like I better get started... Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Leuco; August 12th, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Home made book teasers...

From whether or not to do your own book cover to doing a book teaser. I've just finished my second book teaser...

This will take you to youtube...
    Tallen - Quest of the Demon Aftermath 1

This is compared to my first attempt...

Quest of the Demon (beware there is sound on this one but not at the start so don't turn it up too loud)

Anyway, let me know what you think.

I did have one question, do you feel that the book 1 is spoiled by the words spoken at the start of the second book teaser? (And yes, it is my voice and I'm sad to say I sound nothing like Grishams thoughts as I had intended, nor can I do a movie trailer voice... but what can you do)

I'm rather ignorant on the intricacies of book promotion, but is there really a value to doing a book teaser like this? The idea hadn't crossed my mind really, because it seems like it would be a lot of work for probably little, if any, return.

While I might be tempted to do my own book cover, I think I would probably stay away from trying my hand at a video teaser, despite my 15 hours (woo!) of film editing experience.

That said, I think I see what you're going for in your teaser, but it could use some polish. The intro to the second teaser does give something away from the first, maybe, but being that I'm not overly familiar with it, I didn't really pick up on it.

Have you tracked whether or not your teasers have drawn traffic to your site or directly helped in selling copies of your book? I'd be interested to know that.

Blog Entries
    Not a huge influence as of yet... but it increases my searchability. When I first had my book 1 published, I tried googling it even as one "Quest of the Demon" and I could only find stuff about a batman episode, some gamer thing and then, if I searched Australia only I'd finally find it!

Now, through twitter, website, facebook and all of that I show up a heck of a lot more. It can't be a bad think... (at least that's what I'm hoping).

The reason why I've done it myself is because it was fun and I wanted to see if I could. To do it for the sole purpose of sales ... perhaps I wouldn't recommend it

Giveaways - LibraryThing, Blogs, Goodreads, etc.

Some of you published authors must have done these giveaways. What has your experiences been with them?

Did you see a boost in sales?

Did you get a surge in reviews at those sites and/or Amazon, etc.?

General impressions?

Also, have you signed for a giveaway and then bought the the book after you didn't win?

Thank you!

I've done giveaways over the years, from print copies to ebooks. Nowadays ebooks are valued more than they used to be so they're better giveaway candidates.

If you give away a hundred copies you're bound to score a few reviews. I reckon maybe one in every fifty people leaves a review (unless you keep bugging them, but that's not a good idea.)

AuthorTHE BLACK ***'S WAR MosesSiregarIII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle Clark View Post
    Some of you published authors must have done these giveaways. What has your experiences been with them?

Did you see a boost in sales?

Did you get a surge in reviews at those sites and/or Amazon, etc.?

General impressions?

Also, have you signed for a giveaway and then bought the the book after you didn't win?

Thank you!
    My book just came out August 1st, but I'm doing some of these right now. Goodreads is a no-brainer. You can put 1 book up in a giveaway (I went with 5), and you'll get lots of people looking at your book for free. I've already had 500 people enter my giveaway and my book is on 200 shelves, largely thanks to the giveaway.

LibraryThing is a way to give away free ebooks and generate some reviews. However, LT readers tend to grade on a harder scale, so be prepared for reviews to be 1 star lower than they'd normally be at Amazon.

You could search around the Writer's Cafe at Kindleboards.com for threads on 'giveaways,' 'librarything,' and 'goodreads,' and you'll find some GREAT information.

Giving away books at blogs is another good idea, but probably with less bang for the buck.