Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchaser3000 View Post
    But what about the people like me that have already sent previous requests to get my book reviewed for free but has yet to receive an OK from any of them that they will give it a fair chance? How can that be my fault that I am forced to go the paid review route?

In hindsight I am now aware that paid reviews are frowned upon with the status quo readership. But I still contend that I thought the review fee was just simply a guarantee that it will be reviewed within a reasonable time frame and to have the review permanently posted on their website. Even if I can get a book blogger to review my book for free, I am sure they will only reiterate the positives and negatives that my paid reviews did.
    More and more bloggers and other people are getting inundated with requests to read/review my book. The best way is to send out a large email (stating this is a mass email) looking for those interested in reading and possible reviewing your book. Don't just send the book unless asked. Make sure you have something written up about the book, about you, etc. Standard press package. Those interested will get back to you. This is also something you'd like to do, preferable, 4-6 months prior to the book coming out. People are more likely to read/review something that not available to the public yet.

Include in that same email you can ask for people interested in interviewing you for their blog (a blog tour). This is another way to get exposure without people having to read your book. Just make sure you're targeting correctly. Don't be sending your Sword and Sorcery book to a Paranormal Romance site.

Quote Originally Posted by AARoque View Post
    In regards to promoting and self marketing, one thing I tried out recently was to attend a conference that was in the same domain as the story line I'm working on. I recently attended a Star Wars conference in Orlando (Star Wars Celebration) and I printed out some promotional business cards with the website and a sketch of one of my characters.

So I took 2 different approaches , quantity versus quality.

For Quantity, I stood by the entrance and gave out the cards as people were coming in an mentioned a quick one liner "indie sci-fi story, check it out". Most people took the promo, some people asked what it was about, and a small number of people completely ignored me (boy, that was humbling).

For Quality, I approached some people who were either reading some books already or were interested in comics or novels. That was great because I got to engage in some conversations regarding the plot and receive some feedback.

Then, when I was done, I got to enjoy the conference myself which was outstanding.

Has anyone tried something similar? If so, what was your experience?
    Business cards and flyers are a great way to get people interested. So are pins, buttons, any little freebies that people can just grab and go. The return will usually be small, but you're getting your name out there.

Me, I have a bumper sticker on my truck for jrmurdock.com I've had a lot of traffic (not sure if it's because of that) but I have been stopped by people that have been to the site to check it out and they just wanted to say hello.

There are lots of little ways to get your name out there and they all pay in the long run. The biggest thing is to just stick with it and keep trying different thins on top of what you're already doing.

AND WRITE ANOTHER BOOK!

Nothing brings in more readers than having more than one book available. People are usually reluctant to try out an author with 'a' book and would rather see someone with a proven track record for keeping at it.

With that said, keep at it!

Fingers crossed I won't have to change a letter. I'm just trying to be prepared for anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JRMurdock View Post
    More and more bloggers and other people are getting inundated with requests to read/review my book. The best way is to send out a large email (stating this is a mass email) looking for those interested in reading and possible reviewing your book. Don't just send the book unless asked. Make sure you have something written up about the book, about you, etc. Standard press package. Those interested will get back to you. This is also something you'd like to do, preferable, 4-6 months prior to the book coming out. People are more likely to read/review something that not available to the public yet.

Include in that same email you can ask for people interested in interviewing you for their blog (a blog tour). This is another way to get exposure without people having to read your book. Just make sure you're targeting correctly. Don't be sending your Sword and Sorcery book to a Paranormal Romance site.
    Right, I think the mistake I did was that I did not request reviews until the day my book was available on Amazon. But yeah I only sent my paperback or PDF E-book file to people that said they MIGHT review it but with no guarantee since it is a free service anyway. After months with no response I succumbed to getting paid reviews under the pretense that it only meant that they would find a reviewer to review my book within a reasonable time frame of a month or two.

Maybe I should have been more patient about it, but its already September and still no word. But I have been told by some people that maybe there is no response from these people since my work is a spoof of fiction/fantasy. So maybe the fantasy/fiction bloggers I sent my manuscript to do not consider my work serious enough for them to waste their time to do a review. If this is the case, what do I do then? As you said, I can't send it to fiction bloggers that specialize in reviewing paranormal romances that's for sure.

Starchaser: Best thing to do now is write the next book in the series or write another book. Try to do it right the second time around to help it find an audience.

You could also record the audio version of the book and put it up on a site like podiobooks.com for free (yes, give it away) and that might draw people in to purchase a print copy or an e-edition.

Either way, your options now consist of putting past mistakes behind you and moving forward.

www.unityparadigm.com
    Love the bumper sticker idea. I would even wonder if you were to place some major advertising decal on your car, it would be even better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JRMurdock View Post
    Either way, your options now consist of putting past mistakes behind you and moving forward.
    Amen to that brutha. My personal goal is to write the fiction/fantasy series that I have never heard or read before, without any concern if it is commercially acceptable. So far so good in that department. My only regret is that I did not realize that getting a paid review would be met with such negativity and somehow me being blacklisted as a sinister slimeball in some of these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by AARoque View Post

So I took 2 different approaches , quantity versus quality.

Has anyone tried something similar? If so, what was your experience?
    I've seen authors literally shove promo items into folks hands. I would then find those same promo items in various trash cans around the con. Doesn't work.

Me? I sit behind the table for the most part and let my display (a professional display is SO important) do the selling. Offer a bowl of chocolates. Biz cards. Book markers. Postcards. Have a video running on the I-pad and of course show a spread of books. Oh, and a banner. Vistaprint can get you both a banner and stand for just under a hundred bucks. Just make sure your banner looks very good (get a graphics artist).

Kerry

Blog Entries
    Vistaprint is great. That being said, not every template is a right fit for your work. Also, I've seen two artists show up with the same banner (awkward!) , which for some reason inclines prospects to take you less seriously.

Fortunately, Vista Print also allows you to submit a custom job, but make sure you hire a professional designer if you go that route. Hey, you've spent this long on a book, so why not give it a professional intro as well?

There is one professional reviewer that reviews Indie books, however, you must follow the guidelines and the book must look professional or they won't review it. And no, you don't have to be from the Midwest.

http://www.midwestbookreview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kmtolan View Post
    Me? I sit behind the table for the most part and let my display (a professional display is SO important) do the selling. Offer a bowl of chocolates. Biz cards. Book markers. Postcards. Have a video running on the I-pad and of course show a spread of books. Oh, and a banner. Vistaprint can get you both a banner and stand for just under a hundred bucks. Just make sure your banner looks very good (get a graphics artist).
    Good post, Kerry. It reminds me why I kept my hair nicely trimmed during all of my years in the financial trade. You have one chance to make that first impression. Why work against yourself?

--WB

Quote Originally Posted by Window Bar View Post
    Good post, Kerry. It reminds me why I kept my hair nicely trimmed during all of my years in the financial trade. You have one chance to make that first impression. Why work against yourself?

--WB
    And here's the best testimony yet for a good display - an Amazon review (I highlighted):

Uniquely satisfying, wish I had talked to the author at ConDFW, but his booth led me to buy the ebooks. I'll happily read them many more times in the future.

Everything is in the first impression as you said, WB.

Kerry

Don't over do it. I think.
    Let it come naturally. Don't force a taco down my throat. Nagging me about a book. Reference it then if I'm interested then I'll check it out.

its good effort i appreciate it. its very interesting and we get knowledge from its.

Hmmm this is something that I'm interested in. If I have a relevant comment to a forum that is insightful and thought. And then slip in the end that if anybody is interested they can check out my latest short story here is that good communication or shameless self promotion?
    Last edited by Hobbit; October 23rd, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Irrelevant link removed.