Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations

Recommendations

This is an area where people can ask for or recommend books.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Well, that was a long post. =)

I recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons!! Amazing, loved it..Scifi, but, who cares..

Anything by Tad Williams..

Anything by Neil Gaiman...

And, Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, and, while I am just starting Ship of Magic (RE-reading it), I am sure that this trilogy will also be a recommend reading..

I strongly recommend David Gemmel!!!!
    Ge has written much Sci-fi but I've only read his fantasy books.

Why is it that no one has mentioned him???
    Can't understand it... He writes some if the best fantasy I've ever read and I read alot....

Guarded by the Moon Moderator Lani's Avatar
    To peple who tired of "hero on the quest" books, I recommend Roger Zelazny. Especially Amber series. It is really good.

I have been looking to get into some new series. So far my favorites are David Eddings and Robert Jordan. I've also read and enjoyed Terry Goodkind, George Martin and Tad Williams. Does anyone have any other recommendations for me?

I have recommended these in other posts. The following are complete and published, some unfinished series are at the bottom
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever (2 trilogies) by Stephen R. Donaldson

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. AKA the Assassin books Also by Hobb, Keyoke suggested her Liveship Traders Trilogy

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay

Tales of the King's Blades by Dave Duncan
    The Gilded Chain
    Lord of the Fire Lands
    Sky of Swords

Series that aren't finished:
    Tyrants and Kings by John Marco three books:
    The Jackal of Nar, The Grand Design and the third and final book Saints of the Swords comes out early 2001

The best for last:
    The Dark Tower by Stephen King

The Farseer Trilogy tells the story of FitzChivalry royal bastard. The story is told in the first person by Fitz, and begins in his youth, how is trained to become an assassin. He narrates his life in the court; his relationship to his father the king, and his two step-brothers. At times it is pretty grim, as a bastard, he has very limited rights in the life of the royal court. Robin Hobb pretty much puts Fitz through hell. Interesting magic. If you like Perrin in Wheel of Time, you will probably like this series.

I know I am doing the series no justice with the description here, it has been a while since I finshed the series.

I _strongly recommend J V Jones Sword of Shadows series. It's a million miles away from her childish Book of Words trilogy, which I didn't enjoy at all.

The first book if SOS is called A Cavern of Black Ice (wrap up warm when you read it!) and the 2nd book, A Fortress of Grey Ice is due out in April 2000.

Yeah Cavern of Black Ice was great by J.V. Jones, in hardcover it was over 700 wonderful pages. Grey Ice comes out April 2001.

I think Grey Ice originally was set to be published earlier than April, though. She has a website at http://jvj.com and it hasn't been updated since May, I was wondering if she is Ok, or just busy with the writing. Has anybody heard?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read the Thomas Covenant books, and I liked them, although I did sometime get sick of the whole anti-hero whinning going on.

I have seen a lot of posts about "The Farseer Trilogy" so I will probably have to check that one out. Can anyone tell me a little about what type of series it is?

A friend of mine who's read the 'Farseer Trilogy' and 'The Lifeship Traders' series suggested that I read the Lifeship books first, because if I read the Farseer series first then read the Lifeship one, I'd keep thinking that 'Lifeship Traders' WAS the Farseer trilogy. Apparently, that's because 'Farseer' was a much more vivid read for him.

I haven't read either series (yet!), so what are your thoughts on the above?

IMHO... ^_^

I can only speak from my experience of reading Farseer first. I don't think you really need to read one or the other first to enjoy them. The stories are not dependent on each other. There were some hints in LIVESHIPS to events of the FARSEER trilogy, that just made the experience pretty neat. However, these hints are not really integral to enjoying the story of the LIVESHIPS. That said, I would recommend FARSEER first mainly because it was written first.

Both series do stand very strongly on their own, though. If you haven't go out and buy them now, you will not regret it.

i know that some of these may seem childish, but i like non-complex books while at school so that i'm not too distracted from my work. (well at least that's the theory!)

i liked the song of the lioness quartet by tamora pierce! young target audience but a nice read!

anything by isobelle carmody but esp. the obernewtyn series

i also liked garth nix's sabriel but none of his other books so far!

traci harding's ancient future is alright, but is not really that great!

thanks for listening/reading my ramblings! i must get around to reading the farseer trilogy!

I agree with all of the authors mentioned.

I would also add that I LOVE Feist, Williams, Martin and Eddings.

The newest editions to my library are the following:

John Marco's "Tyrants and Kings" triology

This guy is amazing. Not only does his webpage kickass but he is such a nice guy. I was lucky enough to win an autographed copy of his first book (his website holds contests each month) and he also emailed me his "thanks" for entering the contest! I emailed him back giving praise and AGAIN, he emails me back. DAMN!

The other would be Anne Bishop's "Daughter of the Blood" trilogy

She is amazing as well and for those who want something new I would definately recommend her trilogy. Each book is about 300 pages or so which means you don't have to devote years of your life to her series AND they are great reads. If you are looking for something VERY different, get into Bishop today.

Thats my two cents...

Gareth Finally somebody has read Tyrants and Kings The series is really amazing and I have been recommending it on this bulletin board for some time in various recommendation threads. www.tyrantsandkings.com

Williams and Martin are superb, and I suspect I will eventually give Feist a try.

Also considering giving Katherine Kerr a try. Anybody have any thoughts on her writing/books?