Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations

Katherine Kerr...well, the first book or two were ok but thereafter it seems like an endless repetition of the same story and 'souls', just in different bodies. The thing I found most irritating, though, was the preaching tone of most of her books. Got to be too much for this cowboy, though I'll admit some of the ideas are interesting.

With Katherine Kerr, people say Jordan's WOT is long, but I just took a look to see how many books in her series--OOFAH!

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Heh, nobody said Jordan is the longest, i lost count on how many Midkemia-Kelewan books were written so far.

About Deverry, i liked it, it seems that she repeats the stories but she is taking us somewhere (becomes more clear towards books 7-8) the problem is that when you start reading a Deverry book you have no idea who is the character you are reading about or who it was in another life.... especially if you read the last book like a year before...

I wouldn't exactly say that Feist's Midkemia-Kelewan books are 'long' as Jordan's WoT series is 'long'. One major diffirence: Feist's books are split up into managable chunks ie The Riftwar Saga, The Serpentwar Saga, the companion books, and the Krondor series. This keeps each series in a nicely contained package with a beginning, middle, and a satisfactory resolution. WoT on the other hand, is exactly what many people find it to be; ONE loooooong story... with not a whisker of a satisfactory resolution in sight.

IMHO... ^_^

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    True, but then you could say Kerr divides her series to manageable chunks too.

I would suggest anything by gaiman, also if you haven't read Belgariad, that is a good series. I am reading it right now, and it is great.

I am currently reading Mercedes Lackey books wich I really enjoy. I just can't get enough of her books and I can read them over and over. I would recomend the Heralds Of Valdemar triligoy; Arrows of The Queen, Arrows Flight, Arrows Fall; Theses were the first books I ever read of hers and I was hooked from the start. If you have any recomendations for me pleaase feel free to e-mail me at Amandamaynard18@hotmail.com

Niel Gaimans Neverwhere,anything by Julian May,
    Liveship Traders,and all the old classics,
    like Riverworld.

Niel Gaimans Neverwhere,anything by Julian May,
    Liveship Traders,and all the old classics,
    like Riverworld.

i've only seen Zelazny mentioned once so i think i'll have to do it again.
    the amber series is one of my all time favourites and i strongly recommened it.
    also, eventhough it is sci-fi i suggest to anyone who appriciates a good read to try Orson Scot Card's Ender series, the first book being "ender's game", i found it absolutly amazing!!

Stephen Donaldson,David Gemmel,Raymond Feist,Janny Wurts and Especially Peter Morwoods Horse Lord series