Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Favorite Fantasy Creature

It seems like ever since I was little I've been interested in monsters particularly those found in yugioh and pokemon, but as Iíve grown up and started reading fantasy novels I've been introduced to all kinds.

My favorite creatures from novels I've recently read would be the Stilken and the other Free Magic Creatures from Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy and the Wychkin from Chris Wooding's Haunting Of Alaizabel Cray.

What are yours?

I know I really don't like the Sword of Truth series, but there are two creatures from it that come immediately to mind.

The Slyph (is that how you spell it?) always seemed a very interesting creature to me. Somehow, the idea of it really captivated my immagination. I also feel sorry for it.

And I just loved Gratch (was that his name?) the .... um... Gar, wasn't it? I thought Gratch was cute.

I'm also a huge fan of dragons. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a book with them in that I enjoy. I think I prefer dragons in artwork more than in books.

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    Cookie Monster, and Cthulhu. I think they may be related.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    welcome vlad,
    i think i already answered this last year in a thread with an identical title [do a search for older threads]
    Bartimaeus - the djinn from Jonathan Stroud series is still a top pick.
    from my recent reads, i guess i could add the spider companion from goblin Quest by Jim c Hines.

Invidia Est Solus Semeta Aelden's Avatar
    I thought the "Driders" from Salvatore's work were really cool: half Drow, half spider.

But, my all time favorites have got to be the Kender from D&D. Especially the Dragonlance novels. They were so incredibly funny... if I could be any creature, it would have to be a Kender.

Welcome to our forum vladtalto! May your stay here be long and enjoyable.

You've hit upon a topic that has come up again and again in the past (with one instance of the topic bearing the same title). While some threads haven't been active in a few months, here they are:

Favorite Fantasy Creature?
    Favourite creature

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar View Post
    And I just loved Gratch (was that his name?) the .... um... Gar, wasn't it? I thought Gratch was cute.
    I love old Gratch myself - I enjoyed his relationship with Richard more then whats her names?

Gotta go with Orcs myself. I like the dark side fantasy creatures.

I've always been a fan of Shelob. She's just classic, huge, evil, mean, nasty, etc.

Brightstar - Are you not a fan of Erikson's MbotF? I love the idea of Dragons as Soletaken.

Shelob was pretty wicked evil.

As for Dragons I am reading Jacqueline Carey's Bane Wreaker right now and the Dragons in there are really cool. I always like when they talk.

If it counts as a creature, then I'll take Twoflower/Rincewind's Luggage from Discworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    As for Dragons I am reading Jacqueline Carey's Bane Wreaker right now and the Dragons in there are really cool. I always like when they talk.
    Other than that I am a huge sucker for the scaled ones. Though I tend to prefer dragons when they have a personality _and_ some serious screentime, that is they aren't just winged horses ferrying people around or the archetypical cave dwelling princess|hoard collecting evildoer that torches a tiny unimportant village to show his evilness and waits for the inevitable hero for the final showdown (and neither really has motivation nor personality in all of this).

I've lately read lots of books where this is the case, from Stephen Deas' The Adamantine Palace (starts with them as horses but not for too long before turning really interesting, dragonwise) over Naomi Novik's Temeraire series (Cute 20 ton 100 person transporting dragons. And yes, it works out, seriously!), E.E.Knights Age of Fire series (PoV is dragons all the time. Go away filthy humans) to currently James Barclay's Chronicles of the Raven (not that much dragons around but what a fun "first contact" of The Raven's barbarian with one of them and some serious asskicking later on with them)

Allthough even when dragons are only minor / side characters, it can be amazingly fun like the duo Zifnab & "his" Dragon in the Deathgate Cycle from Weis & Hickman who whenever they appear, are garanteed for some very fun scenes.

<----- considering that I sculpt these for fun, it may be obvious what is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    Brightstar - Are you not a fan of Erikson's MbotF? I love the idea of Dragons as Soletaken.
    Unfortunately I never did get on with the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    For as lukewarm as I was about the series, on the whole, I really liked the griffin Kate Elliott had in Crown of Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar View Post
    Unfortunately I never did get on with the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Sad, they're some of my favorites. But I also understand, it's definitely a series you have to push through at first.

Even though they are a mythological/religious figure, I like the Valkyries of Norse myth.