Thread: Computer Art

Hybrid View

Computer Art

Greetings! Did we all make it over from the other thread?

Welcome to the Computer Art thread. This is the successor to the Cover Art and Computer Graphics thread, which was getting rather long to wade through. For those of you new here, this is where I toss up some of my computer art creations for general viewing and feedback. It can also be a place to discuss any aspect of digital art creation that you like, in particular it's use for book covers or other things related to SF and fantasy.

The old Cover Art thread can make interesting historical reading if you'd like to peruse my progress with the graphics tools from total neophyte to only half neophyte. By the time the thread concluded, I'd posted a lot of pictures in there...

So, now we'll just carry on over here! And to celebrate a new opening, let's have a picture, shall we? This one is larger than normal, so be patient if it's a slow load. But I figured we needed something nice to open up the new place.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    No point in being nicer in this thread than I was in the old thread, is there?

I am impresessed with the color and texture of the castle. I like the sense of its hugeness compared to the fop's diminutive nature. I wonder about that circular effect around the center tower. Something magical about to happen?

I really like the way the dude just happens to glance at the camera. You'd think, in those days - whenever they were - that he'd not be so vain but if you look at all the other clues, you'd know that, yes, he is that vain.
    Look at the way he dresses his horse with all those thousand ringlets on the legs. Must have taken the pages an hour to get them on straight. And the bare midriff! He's riding a mare and the stallions find her belly sexy or he's riding a stallion who's playing peek-a-boo with his essentials. Betcha that horse is sedated to be so calmly accepting all the folderol.
    Look the disrepair of the circular tower crennels. This guy can't waste any time or money on the castle walls; he needs it for his shiny new mail.
    Look at how new the boards on the drawbridge are. He isn't taking any chances with places he might travel.
    If you can keep him looking at the camera, maybe he'll bang his head on the portcullis on his way back in.

Life's little mystery for today so far: Consider the chains for the draw bridge. Those are heavy bastards! When the serfs start rolling the collectors and the chains start feeding through the wall, why doesn't the stone get eroded into nothingness?

Nice to see this thread works just like the old one.

This is a very nice pic. Figures HE would be the first to comment, too. HE's on a roll! The knight is going to the local tourney and needs to be all fancy to get a rich Lady to declare him her champion. (His last hope to keep his castle standing).

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlinkat
    This is a very nice pic. Figures HE would be the first to comment, too. HE's on a roll! The knight is going to the local tourney and needs to be all fancy to get a rich Lady to declare him her champion. (His last hope to keep his castle standing).
    I think I like that explanation much better. Thanx, Dazz!

Your welcome, Rad!

Although, you could start a new line of sex appeal horse apparel. Dang it! HE's ideas are seeping into my mind now ... help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlinkat
    Although, you could start a new line of sex appeal horse apparel. Dang it! HE's ideas are seeping into my mind now ... help!
    I'm sorry, it may be too late. It appears the infection has spread beyond any hope of recovery...

The dude is a king -- hence the crown on his head and the fancy duds. I agree that the horse blanket with the missing middle part and the straps around the horse's legs are a bit weird. The big circular thing behind the tower is one of Kevin's giant moons, and he's gone for the purple sky again, but it's a lovely color effect here.

I've seen the castle used before, but this picture really shows it off to effect and with striking detail. The heavy chains have not worn away the stone of the wall because the drawbridge has not been raised in years and years (hence the rustiness of the chains you'll notice.) The castle is a ruin and the king is taking a little tour of it. He's looking not at a camera but at the rest of his entourage, who are hoping the king will get tired of the ruin before they completely lose enough light to make their way back. And he's a smart enough king to duck his head when going under the portcullis, though he does so in a kingly manner.

Glad to see KatG found her way here. She'd managed to get lost over in the old thread...

Can't tell you why the horse's caparison is split in the middle like that. It may have something to do with the fact that it was originally a model of chain mail for the horse, and adapted to look like a fabric caparison. Perhaps mail doesn't work well in between the rider's leg and the horse's flank? Dunno...

Anyway, must be time for another picture. This one is Anime-inspired, and features HE's favorite self-impaling throne room furniture. And no, none of it makes any logical sense.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Yeah! The IT have returned. Nicely positioned hilt, there.
    This particular chair is probably not a throne. I believe it is a convertible rocking chair with the rockers lifted off the floor when not is use. This means the back to the chair is also convertible as a rocker without a back would be hard on the back.
    The hair style intrigues me. It can't be blowin' in the wind as the flames on either side are not affected. There may be a zephyr enhralled to her whose job it is to sit on the back of her neck and blow the hair outwards.
    Or maybe she knows a wizard who invented hair spray just for her.
    The Parisian designers got the word, I see, having now invented low riders.

But the colors complement each other and her outfit stands out but not glaringly so.

Nice slip of her bikini top, no wonder it sent HE's mind afire !!

Methinks, Rad, you just want to see how wildly you can make HE's inner chaos swirl