Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Art

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    It's the makeup.

The 'brightness' of the eyes is always a problem, one which I have not been able to solve from within the 3D package, only via postwork in Photoshop. The eye portions of the human models are actually fairly complex, with separate components for the pupil, iris, cornea, and eye socket; but even so the results are often mixed.

The biggest effect, as KatG alluded to, is the overall lighting on the scene. Mastery of effective lighting is key to getting a good image, and I'm by no means an expert in that area yet. Aside from the obvious thing that it's easier to place an 'object' in the scene compared to seeing the effect of light rays, there are a lot of variables involved. One is the total number of lights, and here the software has a limitiation, as in the pre-render 'viewport' you can only 'see' eight lights at a time; any more than that, and you have to render the whole scene to see the integrated effect. As a complex scene might have 15 or 20 lights, you can see that it could be time consuming.

In addition are each light's settings, particularly the color, with subtle gradations in tone making pretty big differences in how the scene looks. Whether the light casts shadows or not is also important. And finally, all of the surfaces of the objects have to be considered, since everything has settings for glossiness, specularity, etc., all of which affect how the light interacts with the object.

So I will agree with Kat regarding the meadow picture - the lighting there is only fair, since it is not consistent all the way across the image with how it is interacting with everything in the scene. (Price one pays for doing quickies ). Here is the image that she liked, of the woman in the airlock. I spent more time here on the lighting, both on her and behind her in the airlock, that contribute to the effect of the overall scene.

Wow, very nice! OOoo I beat HE ... TWICE !!!

Well, you know, sometimes he's just not as quick as he used to be...

And thank you, by the way.

People with three hour time zone advantages have no basis for endzone celebrations.
    While the lighting is spiffy, why do you not express some compassion for the poor girl whose left leg is so badly deformed. Her foot is resting at 90 degrees to her leg which is stretched to such an extent the knee disappears and the rectus femoris muscle seems to be flexed for no apparent reason. Perhaps that explains her expression; it's pain.

And, as you see, he's back.

LOL and, as usual, he spotted something. (Leg cramp!) Probably took a shock-gun hit to that leg

And as usual, I have a come-back: in the future, via the wonders of evolution, people are much more flexible than we are today.

I finished my Boris picture but decided it just wasn't up to snuff, so I'm going to start over on that project (sorry, Dazz, you'll have to wait a bit longer...).

So now you get something else. This picture just cried out to be done at a larger size, so I hope you will forgive the bandwidth hit. If anyone finds this to be just too big to load easily, or to view comfortably (as you'll have to scroll), let me know and I'll keep 'em smaller. But the larger I can post 'em, the more detail you can see...

Inquiring minds want to know:
    (1) Since the very nice lady does not seem to be wearing a bra, why does one side hang differently than the other?
    (2) Those of us mechanically challenged look at the bike and wonder at the stress points on the rear wheel and just below the handle bars. We find ourselves hoping she doesn't find a typical country road to travel as the first good bounce might well over-stress those joints.
    (3) Is that a door behind the front tire? This modern architecture is so confusing, don't you think?
    (4) Is that a pack of what I think it is a pack of in her fanny pack? This lady travels prepared!
    I like the lady though she has too much foo-foo on her outfit for my taste and she has almost as much stuff about her neck as Mr. T. Face and hair are well done.

HE is first again

adding to HE's list: why are some of the reflections on the bike not backwards? and why is the brown building all dirty with gang sign on the door while the blue building is all clean? they are only a street apart! Also, the back inner wall of the blue building should be darker.

as for the bike stress-points: its a strict street bike

HE gets tired of my replies, but since Dazzle is new to 'em... I'll respond to a couple:

"why is the brown building all dirty with gang sign on the door while the blue building is all clean?"

Efficient security guards.

"why are some of the reflections on the bike not backwards?"

Good catch. The interesting thing about those reflections is that they are not real. They are actually "painted on" as part of the texture set. The chopper model comes with six different texture patterns, including things like flames. But I like this one the best, as it looks the most realistic with the "reflections." There is nothing actually in front of the bike at all, so even if the texture were a mirror surface there wouldn't be anything there to reflect. The texture artist, I presume, took a photograph of some buildings and signs and very artfully modified them in Photoshop, or the equivalent, to distort them to look like reflections in shapes to match the bike model's contours. Aside from them not being in reverse, as you noted, I think he did an amazingly good job.

The "foo-foo" noted by HE is what actually inspired me to make the picture, as I felt that stuff like the fringe and her arm band said "biker babe" to me; it seems very much like what I've seen biker ladies wearing.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Does Mrs Radthorne know you've been spying on biker ladies?

As HE says, it's a wonder that I manage to get her to pose for me with all those different crazy outfits...

Lise is always the editor of first resort, whether it be prose or pictures. So if something looks really stupid, she lets me know. And if I then post it anyway, the rest of you usually tell me the same thing.

Au contraire! Your replies are one of the delights of my universe. Watching you wiggle out of harm's way is one of the most awe inspiring sights available on the web.
    In the meantime, please extend my deepest sympathies to TLWSHLWY as I am certain TLWSHLWM knows her pain.