Page 7 of 117 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Art

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    but her gun is pointing in the other direction
    Elementary weapon safety class, Future Forces, 22nd century: Always point your weapon away from friendlies.

C'mon; you folk are getting much too soft. You want the Radical Thorn to think he has mastered the art and has nothing more to learn? Get with it, people! Certainly, the lighting and coloring are good; certainly the young lady could be considered attractive - what I have decided to describe as comfortable; certainly the composition works. It's them damned details, again. Ask him why the tabs on her shoulders stick up? Substandard velcro? And isn't that helmet the cutest, most non-functional thing you've ever seen? This humongous chin strap to hold in place this teensie little skull cap that flexes around the ears presumably to allow her to hear the sweet nothings/arguments the Dazzler supposes.
    Then there is that really cool mesh - suspect it is an ebon version of mithral - covering over her body armor; probably designed to protect against spear-tossing trolls or mosquito bites on the space station but it does allow the 'breast bowls"* to stand out from the rest of the under armour.
    And finally, there are the war gloves designed to protect the index finger if nothing else. This is probably a cultural thing where women's index fingers are bound into positions where they cannot be pointed in accustation at any defenseless male who might pass by.

* No way breast plates could ever do the job.

Ok, those shoulder clips were probably undone by the rifle dude (which started their argument)

Agree with HE on the helmet. As for the gloves .... its for index finger reinforcement, since women there have to do so much finger pointing at males.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlinkat
    As for the gloves .... its for index finger reinforcement, since women there have to do so much finger pointing at males.
    LOL!

The woman's helmet actually came with a visor so that her whole head is enclosed, but it's not hinged to open up. And I figured that staring at a black robot-like head was not particularly interesting, so I removed it...

Talk about your MCPs! Man doesn't even deign to acknowledge I exist. Just answers the ladies. Harrumph!!!!
    Wait till I get to the convention and start spreading my rumors about him. Then, boy, then....

I say, old bean, miss your coffee ration this morning? You seem a mite off...

The helmet issue was raised by you, you silly goose; and thus I was replying to you! And Dazzle already addressed (quite adequately, I think) the issue of the straps and the gloves (just as you very handily disposed of KatG with your Weapons 101 discourse).

As for the mesh - she doesn't need full armor, for like any self-respecting squad leader she's going to send that big hunking male next to her in the full armor applique to go in first and take all the heat. Then she can follow behind and give him directions as to where he's supposed to go and tell him what he's supposed to be doing, and asking why she always has to be the one to notice that the garbage needs taking out...

Notice the mollified person sitting at the keyboard? He's feeling much better now, thank you.

Now that HE is reasonably quiescent...

A fantasy picture to round out the evening, called "Midnight Rider"...

Who scared him with that bright light in his eyes?

Wow, I beat HE again

As I know HE will say something about the light... the idea is that there are lanterns on the walls of the buildings, such as the one in the distance, that are providing the illumination as the rider goes past. Presumably he is near one such lantern on a nearby building that is out of frame at the moment...

Yep, you did Dazzler but, surprisingly, because when I looked at the picture bright and early this morning, nothing jumped to my eye demanding notice. The lighting on the eye - perhaps, the same one lighting the left hand but maybe not - didn't bother me as much as that danged sword portruding into the atmosphere. Imagine the poor SOB attempting to draw that blade left handed in a manner to employ it immediately. Bet he'd have to grasp it under the hilt as grasping the hilt would exceed his arm's reach before the blade cleared the sheath. But, that wasn't enough to get the juices flowing this a.m. Took your inspiration to make that happen.
    There is also lighting reflecting off the snaps and buckles of his armor and his saddle which, of course, a night rider would keep gleaming so as to pass inspection. His platoon sergeant is a nit over such things despite the fact they defeat the efforts of the dark armor to reduce his nightly signature. It ain't easy getting by in the ninja corps(e).

HE did not handily dispose of my gun query -- he ignored it. I did not ask why isn't her gun pointed at the guy. Obviously it would not be. I asked why isn't her gaze and the direction in which the gun is pointed in the same ballpark. She's looking at someone or something across the hall or hanger, and her gun is pointed down the hall, perpendicular to where she's looking. If she's not going to use the gun, it should be holstered, or its tip should be elevated upwards to reduce risk of accidental discharge of the weapon. If she's getting ready to burst in somewhere, she should be looking in the same direction that the gun is pointed.

The shoulder straps are for fastening equipment or weaponery, but she doesn't have any of that at the moment, so they are empty. The helmet is bulbous on the right ear because it has a radio transmitter there. The chin part is thick to protect from blows to the jaw and richochet ammo. The face is not exposed but actually protected behind an incredibly transparent visor. However, I don't know why the neck is exposed and not even covered by the padding of the uniform, and the finger thing is indeed silly.

On the midnight ninja -- why is his skin glowing?

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    If she's getting ready to burst in somewhere, she should be looking in the same direction that the gun is pointed.
    She's going to burst through the door that her left hand is resting on, and she's looking at the viewer (and not pointing the gun at him/her) in the moment before they all dash in. Whether she's asking for permission to go, or about to tell the viewer that perhaps drawing his/her own weapon might be a good idea at this juncture, or that his fly is unzipped and would make an unseemly spectacle in a gunbattle/raid, is up to the purveyor of the image to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    On the midnight ninja -- why is his skin glowing?
    Coppertone tan? (Looks a bit European in the architecture for this guy to be a ninja...)

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    It's so confusing! On one corner is the Inn of the Two Keys and on the other corner is a dangling firkin! Which establishment will we go to for an ale! I suspect the Dangling Firkin holds more promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    It's so confusing! On one corner is the Inn of the Two Keys and on the other corner is a dangling firkin! Which establishment will we go to for an ale! I suspect the Dangling Firkin holds more promise.
    That's my Sheepie! Befuddled by where best to quaff down the next round...

She's going to burst through the door that her left hand is resting on, and she's looking at the viewer (and not pointing the gun at him/her) in the moment before they all dash in. Whether she's asking for permission to go, or about to tell the viewer that perhaps drawing his/her own weapon might be a good idea at this juncture, or that his fly is unzipped and would make an unseemly spectacle in a gunbattle/raid, is up to the purveyor of the image to decide.
    It would be a better picture if she were looking toward the door in the direction of her gun.

I agree -- the firkin looks less upscale and I'm not properly dressed.