Teenage Nietzscheist GreyMantle's Avatar

Wondering About Wassner

Hello, new to this forum, but after seeing Mr. Wassner comment on so many of Scott's forum's threads, I decided to take a trip over.
    I have a deep, profound, question.
    What is Gemquest like?
    Sadly, my public library does not carry Mr. Wassner's books, so I would have to actually BUY them in order to experience them, and as funds are moderately short at this time, I would like to learn more about my prospective purchase.
    It seems to be "traditional" epic fantasy for the most part, but does it have anything to distiguish it from the Jordan-esque rabble?
    And how would you say it compares to, say, Prince of Nothing or A Song of Ice and Fire?

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Good question. I can direct you to some reviews if you wish. But it's probably better if I tell you myself.

The surface is traditional Epic Fantasy. And even the surface is very fragile in that respect. Some of the tropes are similar.

It's nothing like Jordan though.

As far as Bakker's books are concerned, all that they have in common with mine, aside from us being friends and sharing countless ideas, are the philosophical undertones, musings, concerns and perspectives.

I write hoping to learn something in the process. My books are about choice, our relationship to the world we live in, our responsibilities to the earth and to each other. But they are also adventures centered around a quest. Again, the surface of that description is particularly unstable.

The series itself is a process, and it evolves. It's simple at first, or so it seems. But it's no longer simple. I confront my own demons on each page. Some I overcome. Some continue to torment me.

Teenage Nietzscheist GreyMantle's Avatar
    Very poetic.
    Gemquest shall be put on my to read list.

What is Gemquest like? Well, it's kind of hard to explain. It's not like most stuff you're going to find in the wild west frontier of secondary world fantasy.

It is first of all, in style, very formal, traditional bardic, medieval even, keeping to the heroic, romantic chivalry of old epic sagas. And then it has this, um, rotten core of dark mystery, I suppose would be one way to put it. I at one point likened it to Gary liking to occasionally stick his readers in the back with a stiletto. Things seem all nicely divided into good and evil, but then it ends up not being quite that way. Unless it is. They are very hopeful stories, but also very mucky. Heroic fantasy that's twisty would be the closest I can come to describing it accurately.

Gemquest doesn't have much in common with Martin's series, I'd say. It does share themes and philosophies with Bakker's series, but Scott's is more like a ravening wolverine on attack mode, while Gary's is more like a hawk that looks pretty and then kills a rabbit. I would say he has a bit more in common with Pullman, if you've read that author's Dark Materials series, maybe.

So enough with the analogies, give it a try.