Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    A very special tree...... lovely_elm's Avatar

Martin - should I embark?

I have just been reading the 'favorite authers' thread in the fatasy board and Martin came top. I have yet to embark on any of Martin's books but am now understandably intrigued!!!

As a GGK and Hobb fan would 'A song of Ice and Fire' be something new which I would enjoy? Persuade me....................

Ser Blueberry Muffin Blackadder's Avatar
    You got to bring some specials to the battlefield if you conclude that you DON'T like the masterpiece of Martin's A song of Ice and Fire series.

So.. Yes.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Oh, to be reading the series for the first time. I envy you. Therefore I am saying you must read this series. If you like great characters, scheming, political intrigue, love, hate, vengeance and retribution, well then you just have to read this series. So I guess in other words I am saying YES!!!!!

Hello lovely_elm, I've said to others asking the same question that these books are quite brilliant, easily the best fantasy you will read - but be prepared to be shocked by things you are not expecting, and to be so irritated by the long gaps between publication of new volumes that you start to feel it like a constant, gnawing ache...maybe that's just me. But, yes, ASoIaF is first rate stuff, if you can bear to wait for the next installment.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar

What are you waiting for???

LOL, yes, of course you should read Martin! Most people on this board will probably be extremely jealous of you, for being able to read the books for the first time! I've read the series twice, and it remains my favorite fantasy work after The Lord of the Rings.

Also, seeing that you like Hobb and Kay is a good sign, since those authors, along with Martin, Erikson, and Bakker, are some of the highest quality fantasy out there right now.

Go out, and buy yourself these books:

1. A Game of Thrones
    2. A Clash of Kings
    3. A Storm of Swords
    4. A Feast for Crows (you're lucky, we all waited 5 years for this one!)
    (three more books on the way)

Happy Readings

I'm reading it for the first time right now and am almost done with the second book. I found it very difficult to get in to. It reads a lot like a soap opera instead of a fantasy for a while, in my opinion, and I almost put it down several times. I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. It's proving to be very interesting, if unlike anything I'm used to. I recommend it.

YES!!!! you MUST read!!!!

for a fantasy fan martin is a amust read

OOooh - I'm quite excited about this now!! I may even put the Liveships books on hold and read 'A Song of Ice and Fire' straight away............!

Why believe us when you can read these messages from GRRM's peers?

"This is one of those rare and effortless reads." - Robin Hobb

"A Game of Thrones grabs hold and won't let go. It's brilliant." - Robert Jordan

"I read my eyes out. I couldn't stop until I'd finished and it was dawn." - Anne McCaffrey

"A Game of Thrones offers the rich tapestry that the very best fantasy demands. Few created worlds are as imaginative and diverse." - Janny Wurts

"George Martin is assuredly a new master craftsman in the guild of heroic fantasy." - Katherine Kerr

"A dazzling fantasy adventure. Martin populates his world with a great cast of characters that wave a tapestry of court intrigue, skullduggery and vicious betrayal." - Julian May

"It's ambition: to create the Twelve Caesars of fantasy fiction, with characters so venemous they could eat the Borgias." Times Literary Review

"George R.R. Martin is one of our very best writers and this is one of his very best books." - Raymond E. Feist

OOooh - I'm quite excited about this now!! I may even put the Liveships books on hold and read 'A Song of Ice and Fire' straight away............!
    Just be careful... you may get sucked into the world, and never manage to return to Liveships!

Decisions decisions! I had just finished The Farseer books and read The Lions of Al Rassan to give myself a Fitz break before Liveships. Now I'm all intrigued about Martin..........................

Well, if you haven't started Livships yet, you might as well give Martin a whirl. By the way, Fitz is not in the Liveship series, which takes place far, far to the south of the Six Duchies. Fitz's world returns only in the Tawny Man books.

Quote Originally Posted by lovely_elm

You absolutely have to read Martin, but please don't forget about Liveship. I absolutely loved the Liveship trilogy. Pirates, romance, action, sea serpents; definitely a fantastic read! However, you have to HAVE TO read Martin. Martin and Hobb are my favorite fantasy authors of today.

Ah, I'm so jealous. You've got some of the best reading ahead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by lovely_elm
    I have just been reading the 'favorite authers' thread in the fatasy board and Martin came top. I have yet to embark on any of Martin's books but am now understandably intrigued!!!

As a GGK and Hobb fan would 'A song of Ice and Fire' be something new which I would enjoy? Persuade me....................
    Simply put...

OH GOD YES! READ ASoIaF!

Hands down one of the best Fantasy series ever written imho!

Of course, having also read Liveships, if you've just finished Farseer then go ahead and read Liveships. ASoIaF is well worth the wait!

xx