Hybrid View

The Stupid Question Thread-GRRM [Spoilers]

I have a question to ask, and I suspect it's a pretty dumb one - so I thought I'd mitigate the pain of this by offering you, my esteemed colleagues, a thread in which you could do the same. I can't be the only one who seems to have missed something, with material this rich and convoluted. Here's my dopey question:

Who is Lord Lannister now? Tywin's dead, Jaime is still a sworn Kingsguard and therefore can't inherit, Tyrion damn sure can't inherit (given the circumstances of his father's passing), Lancel's gone a bit strange; is Kevan now holding Casterly Rock? And if so, what does this mean for succession - aren't the Lannisters actually in a terribly vulnerable position here? Even if Kevan has taken the helm, he isn't up to much, and his sons are either potty or young; a few well placed stilettos, and House Lannister could be over and done with...
    Last edited by kged; September 7th, 2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: It used to say "POTENTIAL" spoilers - misleading.

According to Martin, there is no Lord Lannister at the moment. Catelyn is Lady Lannister.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Catelyn is Lady Lannister.
    You mean Cersei.

Now that would be a plot twist - I doubt even GRRM could pull that one off!

How can there be no Lord Lannister, though? Who runs the show in that part of the Kingdom? Who collects taxes, administers justice, defends the coastline, etc? Seems odd...

The bureaucracy attends to the day-to-day running of Casterly Rock, the castellan etc. Cersei is Lady of the Rock. Kevan is outside the line of inheritance until Cersei and all her issue die. I believe the title will pass to Tommen, although if the king can't be lord of another site at the same time, it will pass to Myrcella, I believe.

Defender of Cononicals Physics Knight's Avatar
    I have a stupid question. There has been a few years gap between when I read Storm and when I read Feast, so my memory of everything was foggy. They mention in Feast the Rains of Castamere (sp?) song again, and near the end there is a bard and Jamie asks his name, and it is somehow significant, or something... That just went right over my head. I cannot remember for the life of me what the Rains of Castamere was about, why it galled Lord Tywin, and what was the big deal about this bard. Maybe someone with a memory, or who has read the books over many times can help (I'm just waiting for the entire series to be completed before I do my re-read.)