Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Nice to have you posting her Bridie.

Age can affect how you read much more than what you read in many cases. But it should never stop you from picking up a book.

I think that there are countless books that can be appreciated on so many different levels, that as long as you're a reader and you are willing to struggle a little bit with the vocabulary, then you can certainly enjoy them. In all things, we have to stretch ourselves to make meaningful strides. If all we ever read were books that told us things we already knew, then what would be the point? Books should challenge us. Isn't that what art is about? If it doesn't challenge us to think and to rethink, then we gain very little from it.

How many books have you finished and forgotten just as quickly? They may have entertained you, but they aren't memorable and they haven't changed you in any way.

I remember reading Crime and Punishment when I was 14. Each time I reread it later on in life, I learned something new and different, but the experience at 14 was a life-changing one for me. It inspired me to push myself and read Joyce, Kafka, Mann, Lawrence, Elliot and so many more.

Tolkien, Heinlein and Vonnegut did the same things for me at a young age.

Then I discovered Nietzsche and my life was never the same.
    Last edited by Gary Wassner; December 13th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.

I think my age did affect what I read when I was a teen, but not so much now. I have yet to read the HP books, but plan to as my brother has recommended them highly as he has been reading them with his step daughter. He did tell me she started to have trouble with some of the newer books. I guess it being in part because they are a little more heavy reading than the early ones. I should also mention that she doesn't seem to enjoy reading very much, but her parents are hoping that changes as she finds books she enjoys.

Now that I am a 30 something adult that is usually stuck at home the majority of the time, I find that having a mix of types of books is best. I still mainly read traditional fantasy stuff, meaning stuff not at all tied to or resembling the "real" world, but have finally been branching away from that trap I set for myself.

Now the only thing that really affects what I read next is my mood. If I read something from Erickson or Marco, I usually want to read something a bit lighter, so a lot of times young adult or childrens books may be the way to go. I thought that as I got older I would no longer want to read books with a child as the main character, but that hasn't been the case. Of course now there my mood may make me feel like not wanting to read one when it is time for a new book. The same sometimes goes with female characters. When I was a teen I couldn't identify with a female lead being a guy, but that changed as I matured I guess because it doesn't matter overly much now, but if I have read several books in a row with a female lead, then I may feel the urge to make the next book have a more male lead focused plotline. That has really only happened a few times though. My wife generally prefers female lead plotlines, but doesn't have a problem whith male focused ones. I think fantasy has a good mix of both and some very good newer authors with primairly female leads. Many of them coming from Australia it seems.

While I no longer feel like my age plays a role, I can certainly understand how it can for others. My wife says I am a big kid anyway, so that may be a big reason why it doesn't factor in for me. I wonder how much is tied in with whether someone read much as a child or teen and if they did, what they were reading at that time. Someone that didn't read as a child or teen may have no desire or not being able to get into a young adult book.

Hi there Bruin. I agree for some people, like my wife, moods can determine what they read. Personally I don't find that as I normally just pick up the next book. I do agree with you though as far as reading heavier books, I also find that after reading an Erikson or Bakker, I need to read something lighter and some of the YA stuff is great for that. Too much Erikson in a row tends to make my head spin.