Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I've recently gotten a DVR, which has really changed my TV viewing habits, I love pausing live TV and fast forwarding the commercials.

I am big sports nut, right now its the Mets, but I love the NFL and college football as well.

L O S T is the best show on TV, bar none. Some uneven episodes this year for sure, but they have really been coming on with some great episodes lately. This year we are buiding up to another great cliffhanger. Despite some episodes that did not seem to have a whole lot happening, the quality of this show is in the exquiste details, lovely editing, wonderful camerawork, and puzzle pieces galore.

I know we had a thread going on L O S T at some point in the past, seems like there are plenty of fans here, God knows L O S T is certainly SF, why don't we get another thread going on L O S T?

Other shows I like:

The Amazing Race: I don't really have any favorites in this "All-Star" version, but this show is still the best reality show. The stars of the shows are the destinations themselves, just a lot of fun with a travelogue. ( I do like the beauty queens, Dustin is pretty smoking... ..."Hey Now"...

Deadliest Catch: Not quite sure why I like this show so much, I guess it is kind of like, "Man my job is boring, but at least I should make it home every day"....

24- yeah I know Jack has the same MO every friggin day, still this show is so well done, ya gotta love it.

The Shield- Nothing like dirty cops to get the blood boiling, very unpredictable and high quality episode after episode.

Man vs.Wild- What a great concept! And it could save your life sometime. I love the fact that Wolf does all his own camera work, Man he is a Man's Man!

Formula 1- the pinnacle of racing, the unbelievable cars, the cutting edge of technology, the wonderful courses, great history, intriquing stories this year now that the awesome Michael Schumacher has retired, Lewis Hamilton is some impressive rookie, no one has ever had a better start in the world's best race cars...every race is DVR'd and devoured by this American fan! I think I might give up a pinky for a few laps in the Ferrari or the McLaren.

The Sopranos- OK it ain't the same, but the acting and writing remain superb, time for Tony to meet his destiny, should be fun trying to guess if he gets wacked, sent up the river or...?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post

The Amazing Race: I don't really have any favorites in this "All-Star" version, but this show is still the best reality show. The stars of the shows are the destinations themselves, just a lot of fun with a travelogue. ( I do like the beauty queens, Dustin is pretty smoking... ..."Hey Now"...
    Oh yeah, The Amazing Race is a great show. My favourite series was number 9. I feel into a phase of loving Bj and Tyler! I even had their contacts in Myspace They haven't aired number 10 in Australia, but I am looking forward to it. With the All Stars one, I think my favourite team would be MoJo, only because they were my second favourite team in series 9. The rest of the teams, I don't know who they are

I watch The Deadliest Catch, and have enjoyed it, but this year it seems to be lacking in something. I don't think its just because the Rollo is missing. Maybe because a lot of the guys are new, and because we have seen almost everything already (in terms of fishing). Not sure but it seems flat so far.

Rome was my fave but HBO have cancelled it.

I think a lot of people have lost interest in Lost. It started well but got a bit wayward in the middle.
    Some episodes just don't seem to go anywhere and the overall effect is that its a huge collaboration of writers who randomly take turns doing episodes that add little to the overall story.
    Lost started out looking quite clever, but now it's intelligence has become somewhat pseudo.

Quote Originally Posted by kahnovitch View Post
    Rome was my fave but HBO have cancelled it.
    Gutted! I was looking forward to the second season and didn't get why it was taking so long..

Quote Originally Posted by Leiali View Post
    Gutted! I was looking forward to the second season and didn't get why it was taking so long..
    Good news and bad news...

They did a second season but there's no third or plans for one thus far.

Why would they cancel it ? All I ever heard was how good it was, and how people loved it. They then could have put out DVDs and run it on non-paying cable channels for those of us who don't have HBO. It would seem to be a cash cow for years yet.

Apparently it was very expensive to make, and the viewer ratings weren't that high.

A lot of fans of the show have said that the show was very poorly advertised/marketed and HBO didn't try nearly hard enough to sell it.

Which is certainly true over here in the UK as I caught a very short teaser for it maybe twice before it was shown.

It's ridiculous to spend all that time and effort on a great show and then fail to market it.

After seeing the history of shows on regular networks like Nowhere Man, or Millenium or Farscape for instance, I think there's a pattern that repeats frequently. And it might be the case here as well:

Somebody in charge of development puts together a bunch of deals for shows to be produced. That person moves on, or network strategy changes and now this produced project, regardless of whether it has favorable critical reception or even respectable numbers, is disliked or even hated by people in positions who have the power to make yes or no decisions. And "it costs too much money" is always an effective argument to pull the plug.

And the show is cancelled as a result of network politics, with complete disregard for viewership, because viewership, ultimately, is not an important factor.
    They are going to make money off of the DVDs of Rome, anyway.

This is one of the reasons why I'm less interested in TV these days. I get the feeling that as a viewer, I'm not an important part of the equation.They are looking for Sopranos numbers, and are not interested in anything shy of that.
    Good luck to them, I don't even have HBO anymore, so I could give a rat's.

If they had their way, they'd all have nothing but reality shows. They're cheap as hell to produce, and get good to great numbers.
    That day might still be coming.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; April 29th, 2007 at 12:38 PM.

For the moment I just watch Heroes, 24 and sometimes Stargate Atlantis if I can be bothered. Used to watch The West Wing religiously until sadly, it finished last weekend. ;_; I usually watch news related material such as Foreign Correspondent, Four Corners, Catalyst, New Inventors, Lateline, anything really that is giving me information about what's happening in the world. I couldn't be bothered with Amazing Race, I always found the contestants rather rude to the locals of wherever they were situated. =/
    Last edited by Nightblade; April 29th, 2007 at 07:58 PM.

Book Depository Junkie suupaabaka's Avatar
    Andromeda - Gene Roddenberry's posthumous science fiction series, starring Kevin Sorbo as the captain of a warship that was suspended in stasis for 300 years. Very entertaining, the character interaction is amusing and the plotlines are all feelgood and intriguing.

Stargate SG-1 - 'nuff said.

The Shield - Drama series about a police department in a fictional district of Los Angeles. Numerous plotlines in each episode and fleshed out characters and interaction makes each episode seem longer than 40 minutes. The series is so morally ambiguous that it leaves me feeling slightly dirty, but a lot of fun to be had.

Seinfeld - Watching it to pass the time, as the episodes are short. I'm only on Season 2 and I'm not enjoying it as much as I remember.

Will & Grace - My girlfriend loves it, but Season 5 is getting kind of stale. I don't know if I'll keep watching.

Kingdom Hospital - Stephen King production about a haunted hospital. I'm half way through the first episode. It really makes me think about death, and for me that isn't a good thing; I enjoyed being desensitized. I'm taking it slow, watching mostly because I'm a King fan.

I watched the NFL draft last weekend. Switched between ESPN and NFLN. But mostly on NFLN, I like their people better. Rather slow and boring, but I was reading so it was more of a background thing.

The second day was best because of the surprise trade the Pats did for Randy Moss. What an off-season we have had. Can't wait for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by kahnovitch View Post
    I think a lot of people have lost interest in Lost. It started well but got a bit wayward in the middle.
    Some episodes just don't seem to go anywhere and the overall effect is that its a huge collaboration of writers who randomly take turns doing episodes that add little to the overall story.
    Lost started out looking quite clever, but now it's intelligence has become somewhat pseudo.
    And those who've stopped watching are really missing out!

Last night's episode might have been some of the best TV I've ever witnessed, just awesome writing and acting, and no lack of intelligence whatsoever, if anything, L O S T challenges one's intellect like no other show ever produced.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I'll agree that LOST is one of the best shows, maybe the best, on TV. I only got into it recently, watched the first 2 seasons on DVD in about two weeks, and caught up with season 3. I honestly think that it's way better to watch LOST on DVD. The only reason that some viewers lose interest, in my opinion, is the wait between episodes (and commercials, etc.). On DVD, it's amazing, and so addictive. I'll agree that the second half of season 3 has been excellent.

I also just watched both seasons of Rome. Loved it!!! Can't believe I didn't see it sooner. I think season 1 was a little better, although season 2 was great too.

Neon Knight - Man vs Wild is a rip-off of the much better (though there are only a few episodes) of Survivor man.
    And Bear (Wolf?) uses a crew ,it is Les of Survivor man who films his own stuff.

LOST is still good, and with the news that it will end after 2 more seasons it should get better.

Heroes of course. (NBC's only decent show)

The Shield is good, Rescue Me is better and returns in June.

I have also found myself watching "Deadliest Catch" and don't really know why. It just sucks you in.