Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    I wish I could get more of the British t.v. -- you have better shows, even when dealing with lower budgets.
    You wouldn't really... I guess you only hear about the good stuff. There is a lot of rubbish on British TV. At the moment, the only drama show I watch is Being Human and there are no decent sitcoms at the moment. The sitcoms that are being produced at the moment are really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfa_Jones View Post
    You wouldn't really... I guess you only hear about the good stuff. There is a lot of rubbish on British TV. At the moment, the only drama show I watch is Being Human and there are no decent sitcoms at the moment. The sitcoms that are being produced at the moment are really bad.
    Being Human is decent?

To be honest, the only good stuff we have are game shows now. I love watching QI, Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You. Nothing else currently being made seems to interest me, it's all a bit dull.

I r curious cuttlefish BlueAngel's Avatar
    I don't watch anything too religiously but the shows I catch on a semi regular basis are as follows.

The Daily Show
    House
    Top Chef
    Kitchen Nightmares

I occasionally will catch an episode of

Bones
    Fringe
    CSI
    Law & Order
    and a couple others.

There are some shows on NatGeo that are pretty good, such as Taboo and Locked Up Abroad.
    A&E has a few that I tune into, like First 48.

The BBCA and HBO also ran a show called Little Britain that I could not get enough of. It was hilarious. The Catherine Tate Show was good too.

Just watched all of the old 24 seasons.

And started on nash bridges which is very good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
    Being Human is decent?

To be honest, the only good stuff we have are game shows now. I love watching QI, Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You. Nothing else currently being made seems to interest me, it's all a bit dull.
    I can't decide if the Being Human statement was sarcastic or not! I really like the show and even signed the petition that appeared after it looked like the BBC wasn't going to pick up the pilot. Much like Channel 4's Misfits, it has the right mix of drama, comedy and genre plotting to keep me interested.

I've started to lose interest with QI... used to be a big fan, but of late I find it hard to sit through an episode. Mock the Week and Have I Got News for you are favourites though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfa_Jones View Post
    I can't decide if the Being Human statement was sarcastic or not! I really like the show and even signed the petition that appeared after it looked like the BBC wasn't going to pick up the pilot. Much like Channel 4's Misfits, it has the right mix of drama, comedy and genre plotting to keep me interested.

I've started to lose interest with QI... used to be a big fan, but of late I find it hard to sit through an episode. Mock the Week and Have I Got News for you are favourites though.
    It was relatively sarcastic :P I seem to be the only person who doesn't like watching Skins, Being Human et al. I don't like the actors, I don't like the "plot" and all that. Being Human could be a really well written show, but I just don't like it

Brits may not hit it out of the park every time, but you're better on average at comedy and working it with drama. Maybe it's because your shows don't always try to run for a long time, or the theater influence, I don't know. They're remaking Being Human here and I'd prefer to see the original British version.

Depends what sort of comedy you mean, Kat. I would happily take Frasier over some of our sitcoms, but at the same time I prefer A Bit of Fry and Laurie to some US comedy.

I'd say both sides are equally good, but British comedy is generally more subtle and racier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
    It was relatively sarcastic :P I seem to be the only person who doesn't like watching Skins, Being Human et al. I don't like the actors, I don't like the "plot" and all that. Being Human could be a really well written show, but I just don't like it
    I've never got Skins, but I don't think I'm really the target age group. I think I'm about 10 years to old to really get it.

Then again I like The Inbetweeners, maybe because my teenage years are closer to that than whatever happens in Skins.

I think I fall firmly into the target group for Being Human. Still living in a house share and being around a the same age as the actors (can't say characters as one is dead and the other has been a vamp since WW1). Plus I'm a fan of supernatural fiction so all ties in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Brits may not hit it out of the park every time, but you're better on average at comedy and working it with drama. Maybe it's because your shows don't always try to run for a long time, or the theater influence, I don't know. They're remaking Being Human here and I'd prefer to see the original British version.
    I think it is a case of when we get it right, we get it very right and when we get it wrong we get it very wrong. With the US, there are so many stations outputing original programming that the hit rate is statistically likely to be higer while the quality is slightly lower.

Some TV is just British as can only be made within the British creative environment. Mostly US remakes of UK TV shows are from sitcoms and with humour being so different it doesn't away work. Still, I would be interested to see the US take on Being Human.

Supernatural
    Eastwick
    Futurama
    Family Guy
    Lost
    Heroes
    Survivors
    Caprica
    Eureka
    The Mentalist
    Bones
    Flash Forward
    Stargate Universe
    Legend of the Seeker

Any Footy going

Bloomberg

And somehow I manage to squeeze in a few books

Anyone excited about The Pacific on HBO - My DVR is set for this Sunday.

Just watched The Pacific. It was awesome. If you enjoyed Band of Brothers you have to check it out.

I just geeked out on Season 1 of Being Human on Space, from the BBC I think. Anyway it rocked. How can you beat a werewolf, vampire and ghost living together?

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
    The Colbert Report
    South Park

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now that the new series have started up, I find that I am watching:

House
    Chuck (episode by episode - not sure where they're going anymore)
    Sons of Anarchy
    The Ultimate Fighter 12
    Fringe
    Bones (as Chuck)
    Burn Notice (when it returns in Oct/Nov)
    Stargate Universe
    Smallville
    Lie to Me (when it returns in Nov)