Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    I'm currently watching Futurama (Season 7). It's as good as it ever was!

"Once again, we meet at last!"

My wife and I have been making our way through season 5 of Dexter - good stuff.

Tried Breaking Bad after hearing a lot of hype but the episode I tried was a season premiere with two mmysterious Mexican gentlemen and something going on in the gymnasium. I was so lost I gave up.

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikita42 View Post
    Torchwood. I`ve seen every episode since the series started. I like that it`s grittier and darker than Doctor Who.
    6 eps in, the latest series is running far too slowly and my interest has waned quite considerably. Seems very padded and a lot if its set pieces don't make sense eg
    Spoiler:
    ep 2 - Jack got poisoned. Quick rip off from Apollo 13 - everyone figure out how to make an antidote using only what you find on a plane. Que scene relying on technobabble and a gel battery pack for a laptop (what if they didn't have one of those eh?- it's not exactly standard issue.

There was also this cat 1, 2, 3 thing last week that they took 10 mins to mention. Just come out and say it. Then they spent the whole of a 45 min ep explain unconvincingly what should have been explained in less than a minute.

Too many convoluted scenes - I'm expecting the big reveal to come completely out of left field. Something out of Jack's past making the first 5 or 6 episodes redundant which is just frustrating. Granted there are a few good moments covering how the human race would react to no death but the series as a whole just meanders in random directions IMHO. They should have restricted it to 5 eps like Children of Earth and tightened up the story.

---

Currently watching through 'Sons of Anarchy' - not as good as The Wire or the Sopranos but is very in your face (reminds me of the Shield but with different subject matter). At the end of season 2 there are a few characters you love to hate.

I finished watching Sagan's Cosmos this week. It's a very interesting show, and one that's well made. It does suffer from being about 30-40 years out of date, even with the science updates, and as such the show doesn't stand up as well as it did, especially with Sagan's attitude to ideas he says are "wrong" and so forth. He could be a little condescending and hostile to some ideas that he feels are 'idiotic', but you're watching and thinking "Well, you're hardly completely right". I do think it's a good watch, though, especially for the messages that Sagan has for the viewer, along with the questions it poses.

I'm back to Wolverine & the X-Men now, and I'm coming up to a quarter of the way through it. Some of the characters, such as Wolverine, are excellently done. The changes in his personality work, especially with Steve Blum's brilliant voice acting. A couple of the other characters, such as Kitty Pryde and Beast are also excellent. I do have a problem with others, though. Emma Frost is, as expected, a pair of boobs on legs, and her voice actress isn't exactly great at the 'English accent' she's trying to do. Gambit's a bit irritating, too. Some of the other female characters (Such as Domino) were also rather boobilicious, which really gets on my nerves, but I suppose the guys are as equally buffed up.

The plot is... Wobbly, but that's what you'd expect with a kid's show. Same goes for the animation. There's a nice mixture of new costumes and classic ones (Such as Wolverine's costume), and a good mixture of new and classic characters, although some are retcon'd and others are changed in various ways. I think the plot is supposed to be that Magneto has created Genosha (which exists in the comics) and it's revealed through a deus ex machina scene early on that in the future, if the X-Men aren't reunited by Wolvie, that Magneto will take over the world with his sentinels. Aside from that, there's the usual massive number of side plots, such as this organisation (whose name I forgot) trying to capture all the mutants under the pretense of trying to protect the 'normal' citizens, and it's through them that a number of mutants are introduced into the show.

Each episode is only 20 mins, so it's good to pass the time, and as it's fairly simple watching you can pick it up as and when.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffy bunny View Post
    6 eps in, the latest series is running far too slowly and my interest has waned quite considerably. Seems very padded and a lot if its set pieces don't make sense eg
    Spoiler:
    ep 2 - Jack got poisoned. Quick rip off from Apollo 13 - everyone figure out how to make an antidote using only what you find on a plane. Que scene relying on technobabble and a gel battery pack for a laptop (what if they didn't have one of those eh?- it's not exactly standard issue.

There was also this cat 1, 2, 3 thing last week that they took 10 mins to mention. Just come out and say it. Then they spent the whole of a 45 min ep explain unconvincingly what should have been explained in less than a minute.

Too many convoluted scenes - I'm expecting the big reveal to come completely out of left field. Something out of Jack's past making the first 5 or 6 episodes redundant which is just frustrating. Granted there are a few good moments covering how the human race would react to no death but the series as a whole just meanders in random directions IMHO. They should have restricted it to 5 eps like Children of Earth and tightened up the story.

---

Currently watching through 'Sons of Anarchy' - not as good as The Wire or the Sopranos but is very in your face (reminds me of the Shield but with different subject matter). At the end of season 2 there are a few characters you love to hate.
    I definitely agree the pace has been far too slow. I like the themes they`ve been introducing, but they don`t seem to go into depth in any one of them. Each episode asks a different question about humanity then moves on rather than picking one and dealing with it in depth

So far I prefer Torchwood: Children of Earth over Miracle Day.

Coke Abuser
    At the moment, in no particular order.

TNA: Impact wrestling.
    WWE: Experience
    South Park
    Torchwood: Miracle Day
    Doctor Who
    Johnathan Creek.
    Spongebob
    Futurama

So yeah...

Apparently I'm still 15.

I finally broke down and gave Doctor Who a go! Wow - coolness. My mind is spun out after pretty much every episode. I was lucky and they had 8 epiisodes on in a row and I DVRed it. Just watched the Let's Go Kill Hitler episode - amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    Just watched the Let's Go Kill Hitler episode - amazing.
    My favourite moment from that episode:

The Doctor Cops an Eyeful by the_junk_monkey, on Flickr

I'm sure there was dialogue going on in this shot but I had no idea what it was.

Apparently I'm still 15 too.

JM - I think you'd be a helluva pile a fun to go get a beer with. Ah, River Song. I loved the actress on ER but this is sooo much more fun.

I am not sure most of us men get much past 15, in some ways.

Hey! I like to perv over Alex Kingston, too! She's amazing for her age.

Watch it, kiddo! She's younger than me - physically anyway.

I have the body of a 30 year old woman...

At least, I do under the floorboards.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    *cough* Moll Flanders *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I have the body of a 30 year old woman...

At least, I do under the floorboards.
    Which reminds me, does anyone else while reading Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart" find themselves recalling the old country-western song, "I'm Walkin' the Floor Over You"?

No?

I didn't really think so.

Randy M.

*cough* Croupier *cough* like organ stops *cough*