Walter Moers in english?

few people whoose opinion I respect (taste for books and f genre) were amazed by this author.

Only problem is they speak german unlike me ...

I couldn't find any of his books in my language or english...

Umm... ok. Might need a bit more information, like where are you from if English is not your first language? A cursory search of Amazon US brings up a small list, as does Amazon UK, and both of the book depositories. I'm sure you could find some from the usual suspects as well, Alibris, Abe Books, and Ebay. Unless, of course, there is a different German author by the name of Walter Moers... then this is no help at all.

The City of Dreaming Books is outstanding. One of the better books I've read this year and one I'm sending to a friend of mine as a gift because of how much I think she'd enjoy it.

I've seen all his books available through Amazon.Com. This then segues into ..... it is recommended to be read the books of his series in order? I have a copy of "The Dreaming City of Books", but it's the third book of a series. I didn't know this upon purchase. Has anyone here read them and voice opinion about that?

I think have read two of his books so far. "Bluebear" and the "dreaming books" one, in that order. I enjoyed them immensely.

These books happen in the same universe. IIRC there are some cameo's that you'll notice when reading in order, but nothing necessary for understanding the story.

From what I recall, it's as much of a "series" as China Miéville's, in that the books can be read in any order, with only a shared setting. The City of Dreaming Books doesn't require any background knowledge for the story to be enjoyable.

Yeah, it doesn't matter at all what order you read the books in. I'd recommend Bluebear first because it goes through the world of Zamonia the most and then you get all of the subtle in jokes in the other books, but it's definitely not essential. If you do read them in order of publication, however, you can see how this mind-bogglingy creative writer has grown immensely in plot and character construction. The Zamonia books are four of my top twenty five favorite books of all time, and they are all available in English.
    Read them, read read them, buy sets for all your friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdside View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't matter at all what order you read the books in. I'd recommend Bluebear first because it goes through the world of Zamonia the most and then you get all of the subtle in jokes in the other books, but it's definitely not essential. If you do read them in order of publication, however, you can see how this mind-bogglingy creative writer has grown immensely in plot and character construction. The Zamonia books are four of my top twenty five favorite books of all time, and they are all available in English.
    Read them, read read them, buy sets for all your friends and family.
    on must read list!