Blog Entries

The Unincorporated Man

http://www.theunincorporatedman.com/

I saw this book last night at BAM, and was wondering if anyone had read it or knew of it? It seems to be considered quite a book. That's the impression I got from the cover blurbs and the above website. I almost bought it, but thought I'd get feedback here, first.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea View Post
    http://www.theunincorporatedman.com/

I saw this book last night at BAM, and was wondering if anyone had read it or knew of it? It seems to be considered quite a book. That's the impression I got from the cover blurbs and the above website. I almost bought it, but thought I'd get feedback here, first.
    It's very good indeed, especially the first part which is as good a description of an intermediate future both familiar and alien as I've seen recently, but it's pure sf.

It's also a first book in a series at least based on the ending which brings the main thread of the novel to a closure but opens another thread - my quick thoughts about it are here:

http://sffworld.com/forums/showthrea...ted#post517506

Blog Entries
    Thanks, suciul......I am encouraged to add it to my collection.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea View Post
    Thanks, suciul......I am encouraged to add it to my collection.
    It's good to take a look inside - I have not heard of this one before, but I saw it in store at B&N and I liked it, so I got a copy.

As mentioned in the sf post linked above I read several more books on this theme and as world building this one was the best by far - the rest were "indies" and it showed in some aspects - on the other hand this one also suffers a bit from the "pop lit, need a hero with a cause and a nasty villain to oppose him/her" plot and that detracted a bit from the enjoyment in the second part.

It's also sort of political - very pro-capitalist/corporations and later pro-libertarian - stuff, so if you find Heinlein extreme, well Heinlein is tame compared to this one...

But I liked it quite a lot, so I will check out the presumed sequel.

Blog Entries
    I received my sfbc book club packet today, and this books has its own page! Guess I have no excuses now.