Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylent View Post
    Considering how many threads are left hanging at the end of the First Law I think it is a little bit unreasonable to call it a finished series and not give PoN the same consideration.
    Really?

Like what?

Spoiler:
    Logen, Jezal and Glokta's storylines begun in The Blade Itself had concluded by the end of the trilogy. The threat of the Feared and the evil forces of the North have been defeated. The Northmen and the Union have an accord, if not outright peace. The Gurkhish Empire has been thrown onto the back foot and its ambitious crushed.

In contrast, Kellhus and Achamian's journeys that he begun in The Darkness That Comes Before had not concluded by the end of Book 3 and we see clearly the story threads continuing in The Judging Eye.

If you mean the larger geopolitical situation in the world, then fair enough, although:

Spoiler:
    I think this is more because people were expecting the Gurkhish Empire to be overthrown and destroyed as in a traditional fantasy series. A return to the status quo instead seems to have thrown some people for a loop. I suspect there is more to come, although those expecting direct continuations of those threads in Best Served Cold are going to be disappointed (although those threads and elements are mentioned and we get a sense of stuff going on in the North, the Union and the Empire).

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    That's odd. PoN's ending was incredibly predictable from what, maybe halfway through Book 1? Whilst lots of the details were interesting, the story as a whole did not move in unexpected directions or take me by surprise at all.

First Law, OTOH, was surprising and unpredictable, but never in an "Author making crap out of thin air to write himself out of a hole," manner (i.e. Erikson) and the ending was excellent. And then Best Served Cold was better, damnit.
    If you were able to predict the end of PoN by the middle of book 1, more power to you. I actually needed to read all three books to figure it out. As for Abercrombie, I loved his end, but nothing was resolved. Sure, there were changes and deaths, but the north and the south were left in just about the same condition as they began. My roommate is far more critical and concluded that nothing really happened in the entire series. I argue that a ton of character development happened, but he wasn't convinced. You say it best with status quo, which he would likely agree with and say, "yeah, nothing happened."

I myself loved the trilogy and will shell out the cash for any of his future works.

I've recently finished this series. I liked it quite a bit, though the last book was a disappointment. It felt like Keyes was just trying to get the book finished, and some parts seemed much too rushed. There were some interesting developments in the final book, especially concerning Stephen, but overall it just seemed like Keyes was trying to fit too much into the book. I personally wouldn't have had anything against the book being twice the size, if it would have meant that more time would have been devoted to some of the parts that were so briefly described.

And the endings for several of the characters were just plain awful. The worst was Robert, and then Fend. I don't know what Keyes was thinking, but his conclusions really weren't satisfying. They were far too rushed, and I'm disappointed that he couldn't at least have written some better fight scenes for the big finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayne View Post
    I've recently finished this series. I liked it quite a bit, though the last book was a disappointment. It felt like Keyes was just trying to get the book finished, and some parts seemed much too rushed. There were some interesting developments in the final book, especially concerning Stephen, but overall it just seemed like Keyes was trying to fit too much into the book. I personally wouldn't have had anything against the book being twice the size, if it would have meant that more time would have been devoted to some of the parts that were so briefly described.

And the endings for several of the characters were just plain awful. The worst was Robert, and then Fend. I don't know what Keyes was thinking, but his conclusions really weren't satisfying. They were far too rushed, and I'm disappointed that he couldn't at least have written some better fight scenes for the big finale.
    Hrm, interesting. It didn't really feel rushed to me. I think many fantasy authors are very good at setting up intrigue without having to explain much to start, but have a difficult time wrapping it up in the end. Keyes was dubbed by many Martin-lite when he started but when all the cards were out on the table some of that magic died. When the mystery is gone it leaves folks judging instead of speculating, which rarely results in the passion enjoyed by fans when the series begins.

As Wert has said in this thread, maintaining the quality of the work to a satisfying conclusion is rare in long series, especially of late. I think if I was writing a long series I'd have an idea for a hook at the very end before I started weaving 5,000 of story together. Easier said than done, of course. I wonder if Martin planned out the end before he started ASOIAF.

I just finished the last book in The Born Queen. Overal, it was a difficult, sometimes tedious book to get through, and I didn't enjoy it very much. The ending felt very rushed to me, and I felt quite cheated. I feel that this book would have been far better if the events in this book had been divided (and lengthened) to cover two books - or maybe even more, if need be.

I've only read the first 3 and I have enjoyed them so far, although they would'nt be in my top 10 or whatever list. There's some interesting ideas running throughout the series and although slow in places, some of the set piece scenes or wow moments are really exciting.