Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Not sure if it violates my no review policy but I will say that I found the book to be very true to the first in the series and very much in typical Williams fashion. Not sure what that does for you as it still leaves any appliable context wide open. But there you are. It's hardly my favorite series and I think it has some serious flaws. But Williams is interesting in the imagination area.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    By that you mean Shadowplay, John?

I am looking forward to that one actually. I liked Shadowmarch more than a lot of people when it came out, I think.

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Titans of Chaos by John C. Wright
    This series has been a bit of a letdown overall. This didn't make it any worse. But not any better either. Wright is an odd writer who seems to have some of the best skills but falters on the story a bit. Even after three slight books it got to be "enough already" with the constant plot "setbacks". Characters can only make so many stupid or unthinking choices before you feel like you are forced to watch an episode of "Dr. Phill" While getting a root canal.
    I don't know that anything will ever make me want to watch Dr. Phil, but the first book I thought was aok, but agree the "setbacks" in the second book were really very annoying. It was almost like Wright was afraid to move the story beyond a certain point.

The 2007 books for me so far are:
    Fast Forward 1 On the whole, a very solid anthology, with only one or two that didn't agree with me.

Un Lun Dun - I liked this perhaps more than John. I enjoyed it more than PSS or Iron Council.

The Name of the Wind - for my money at this point in the year, the book that has set the bar.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I liked this one very much, as well. A great ghost story that connected with me on a lot of levels.

Speaking of 2007 releases, does anyone know where I can get updated info on J.V. Jone's book? I keep hearing different things, and somewhere I heard that it might get pushed into 2008... I have been holding on to book one and two forever waiting for book 3, and I finally started book 1... now I am wondering if I should have held off.

A good 2007 fantasy release that I do not see much mention of is the fourth book in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series.

Then, there are two young adult series that have a lot of following (I determine this by my non-fantasy reading friends have actually read them), Libba Bray's series and Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. Bray's concluding book is out at the end of the year, and book 3 in Meyer's series is out around the same time. (I understand that Bray marketed as a fantasy series is debatable...)

Those, as well as books already mentioned, are what I am looking forward to.

As far as Novik goes, Del Rey told me last week that the only thing they had for now was the title, Empire of Ivory, and even that was tentative. It should be released later this year...

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by pat5150 View Post
    As far as Novik goes, Del Rey told me last week that the only thing they had for now was the title, Empire of Ivory, and even that was tentative. It should be released later this year...

Patrick
    Really? I thought the same, but my friend reads her blog and was very adament that everything was going okay. I honestly could not find where it said that, but my friend was very convincing... I could not even find the title of the book on the blog, I ended up getting it from the publishers site. I should not let her talk me into things apparently.

El-Prawno
    John, how about a "How good compared to WOT" ala 2006 releases read thread.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Speaking of 2007 releases, does anyone know where I can get updated info on J.V. Jone's book?
    It's due on November 1st.

The fourth Temeraire book is scheduled for October 2007 I believe according to Locus.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    By that you mean Shadowplay, John?

I am looking forward to that one actually. I liked Shadowmarch more than a lot of people when it came out, I think.

Hobbit
    No, I believe the original inquiry to my liking was Liz Williams Bloodmind.

John, how about a "How good compared to WOT" ala 2006 releases read thread.
    Why? Do someone's panties needed wadded?

Speaking of 2007 releases, does anyone know where I can get updated info on J.V. Jone's book?
    I'm still awaiting details of her recent three book deal with Tor concerning the series. It seems to imply that there will be at least five books in the series if not six.

A good 2007 fantasy release that I do not see much mention of is the fourth book in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series.
    I was told that a copy (not sure if it is a proof or the author's early printing cache) would be available to read for our group the last week of August. That was in January. For a mass market paperback, even one I look forward to, there really isn't as much priority or advance promotion on either side of the fence.

Speaking of 2007 releases, does anyone know where I can get updated info on J.V. Jone's book? I keep hearing different things, and somewhere I heard that it might get pushed into 2008... I have been holding on to book one and two forever waiting for book 3, and I finally started book 1... now I am wondering if I should have held off.
    The head of Orbit has said that the book is now locked in place for the start of November 2007 for both Orbit and Tor.

There are definitely four books in the series (Jones is writing the fourth one) but there is confusion over the news she's signed a deal for two, possibly three more books in the series. It may be be a sequel series (as Sword is a sequel to The Book of Words) or it may be two unrelated books that got picked up by Tor along with the fourth Sword book (since I think the first deal was for three books). This may be more likely as per Jones' occasionally-stated desire to write more stand-alones like The Barbed Coil. I may see if I can get an answer from Orbit about this.
    Last edited by Werthead; March 2nd, 2007 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    The head of Orbit has said that the book is now locked in place for the start of November 2007 for both Orbit and Tor.

There are definitely four books in the series (Jones is writing the fourth one) but there is confusion over the news she's signed a deal for two, possibly three more books in the series. It may be be a sequel series (as Sword is a sequel to The Book of Words) or it may be two unrelated books that got picked up by Tor along with the fourth Sword book (since I think the first deal was for three books). This may be more likely as per Jones' occasionally-stated desire to write more stand-alones like The Barbed Coil. I may see if I can get an answer from Orbit about this.
    Ah, thanks for such a detailed answer! Hopefully book 4 will not take as long to come out as book 3 did.

Guarded by the Moon Moderator Lani's Avatar
    John,

THE SHARING KNIFE: LEGACY BY LOIS MCMASTER BUJOLD

take as needed
    Do you care to elaborate on it? How is it compared to the first book in the series?

Uh, Moderator
    So my first 2007 release this year is Naomi Novik's Temeraire: Black Powder War (Commonwealth TPB release). I found this to be a more entertaining read than the previous offering, with the pacing a lot better. The characterisation is still pretty slim, apart from the two leads it seems that you can only count on one or two characters even being half fleshed out in these novels.
    Also, the somewhat episodic nature of this series leaves a few too many dangling ends by the conclusion of the book for my liking, with the result that it reads more as half of a novel. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that this was originally sold as a trilogy, but after the success of the first book they extended it to an open ended series. I'm wondering if that had any bearing on the ending of this novel.
    With one of the selling points of these novels being the variations of dragons within the various geographies, I also worry that these books will turn into a travelogue to expose the authors creative depths in dragon building (as opposed to world building).

Whilst I have concerns about where series is heading, while these books are still producing enough light-hearted, fun romps to outweight my other concerns I'll keep reading them - they're great filler in between heavier reads.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Does anyone have any info on the TOR book that comes out in October by Wayne Barlowe? It's called "God's Demon", all looks very intriguing but there's not even a synopsis sofar.

Update on the JV Jones front. I asked the head of Orbit about the uncertainty surrounding the alleged Books 5 and 6, or 5, 6 and 7, or whatever, and got the reply: "No comment."

Oh well. Guess we'll find out the answer eventually.