Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Certainly that time of year again. I've just been copying and pasting this list across six or seven forums now...

The books coming out in 2007 that I plan to read in the same year are:

1. A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin
    Book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire
    ETA: Late 2007 (touch wood)

Unfortunately delayed from this year, the fifth volume in the fantasy epic brings back all the characters missing from the fourth book, introduces some new ones (for the last time) and, generally, unleashes hell on the Seven Kingdoms.

2. Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch
    Book 2 of The Gentleman Bastard
    ETA: 21 June 2007

The Lies of Locke Lamora was the big fantasy debut of 2006 and the already-finished sequel is sparking a lot of pre-publicity hype eight months before publication.

3. The Aspect-Emperor: Book One by R. Scott Bakker
    Book 1 of The Aspect-Emperor (duh)
    ETA: Very Late 2007 (US/Canada), May 2008 (UK)

The second of the three series that together tell the story of The Second Apocalypse starts in late 2007. Apparently this is to the earlier Prince of Nothing Trilogy what Lord of the Rings is to The Hobbit.

4. Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson
    Book 7 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    ETA: 2 April 2007 (UK/Canada), June 2008 (USA)

The sixth book in this series, The Bonehunters, was somewhat of a disappointment, but Book 7 will hopefully put the series back on track.

5. Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay
    ETA: 5 March 2007

Kay's first urban fantasy has already attracted some fantastic reviews. The film adaption of his novel The Lions of Al-Rassan (by the guy who did The Last Samurai and Glory) may also surface, but probably not until the end of 2008.

6. The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton
    Book 1 of The Void Trilogy
    ETA: September 2007

The sequel trilogy to PFH's Commonwealth Saga, picking up 1,200 years after the events of Judas Unchained.

7. The Children of Hurin by JRR Tolkien
    ETA: 16 April 2007

Several different drafts of this story - told in brief form in The Silmarillion - have been combined to give us a huge new Middle-earth tale. One of the highest-profile releases of 2007.

8. The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds
    ETA: 19 April 2007

A new stand-alone SF novel in the same universe as his earlier Revelation Space Trilogy.

9. Storm of the Dead by Paul Kearney
    Book 3 of The Sea-Beggars
    ETA: Late 2007

Kearney's excellent nautical epic fantasy continues to its penultimate volume. Hopefully Kearney's earlier, superb Monarchies of God series may be reprinted as well, but probably not until 2008.

10. A Sword from Red Ice by JV Jones
    Book 3 of Sword of Shadows
    ETA: December 2007

The much-delayed penultimate volume of Jones' Sword of Shadows Quartet (itself a sequel series to her earlier Book of Words Trilogy) was finished some months ago, but publishing problems will keep it off the shelves until late next year.

Night of Knives by Ian Cameron Esslemont, Making Money by Terry Pratchett and The Sworn Sword by George RR Martin all just fail to make the grade, NoK and TSS because they have been already published in different forms and MM because, well, I'm a bit behind on Pratchett and probably won't catch up before it comes out.

The Born Queen by Greg Keyes, the conclusion to his Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone sequence, looks promising for a late 2007 release. I'm looking forward to this coming out as I can then go and read Book 1!

Ink by Hal Duncan is also out in 2007. Again, I'm waiting for this so I can go back and read Vellum.

Shadowplay by Tad Williams, the sequel to Shadowmarch is out in February 2007, but I'm waiting for the third book to come out before going back and starting on the series from the start.

Early hopes for 2008 are Neuropath by R. Scott Bakker, A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan (the long-awaited end to WoT, although this could slide to 2009), Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson, Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian Cameron Esslemont and The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.

Of course, there are many more books released pre-2007 that I'm planning to read in 2007:

The Confusion and The System of the World by Neal Stephenson
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling
    Gridlinked by Neal Asher
    Woken Furies by Richard Morgan
    The Affirmation and The Glamour by Christopher Priest
    In the Ruins and Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott
    Stardust, Coraline and Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman
    Last edited by Werthead; December 3rd, 2006 at 02:38 PM.

Nice list Wert, hard to disagree with much of them. Of course I'm really looking forward to the next Martin book. As for the remainder of your list, since I know Lynch's second book comes out next year that will probably be at the top of the list, right alongside The Children of Hurin.

As a big fan of Tad Williams, I'm really lloking forward to Shadowplay. I'm also looking forward to Sean Williams's third Book of the Cataclysm, The Hanging Mountains.

The debut novel that looks really interesting is Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box, Neil Gaiman had some very high praise for it.

Speaking of Neil, he's got a couple coming out:
    Interworld
    M is for Magic

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    What about the final volume in Robin Hobb's Soldier Son Trilogy, Renegade's Magic? Unless I missed it, I didn't see it on the list. This is one of my highest anticipated books for 2007.

I'm also very excited about Martin's A Dance with Dragons, Tolkien's Children of Hurin, Erikson's Reaper's Gale, Bakker's Aspect-Emperor, and Kay's Ysabel. Looks like it's going to be a good year! (I don't think I've ever looked forward to so many new books in the same year before).

(off topic, there are also some good movies slated for 2007!).

Most of the ones I'm interested in have already been mentioned, so i'll just throw in:
    The Modern World, Steph Swainston
    Un Lun Dun, China Mieville

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Speaking of Neil, he's got a couple coming out:
    Interworld
    M is for Magic
    Is that more of his young adult/children's stuff?

My list, mixing SF and Fantasy:

1. Dance with Dragons- late 2007

How long would Martin have to finish it if he wants it released by say October/November? April at the latest?

2. Aspect Emperor-Bakker- Fall 2007

It seems that Scott has decided that he is not returning to any communication on the internet until he has actually finished writing the book. He seems to be a lot like Iain Banks in that he goes into these really long and intense writing stretches, and then takes a break. Hasn't done anything online since February this year, but there was one interview with him on Inchoatus which was from May, in which he said AE was shaping up to be very cool. Last official word from him was that he was slated for a Summer 2007 release, but I expect it will be a bit later.

3. Children of Hurin-JRR Tolkien/Christopher Tolkien - April 2007

From the recent news I gather that there will not be much material in this book and that it's main benefit will be to have a big, coherent tale without distortions. I still wonder if they will at least include The Wanderings of Hurin from HoME 11, but somehow I doubt it. Still, awesome tale and I will be having the Alan Lee illustrated edition.

4. Ysabel-Guy Gavriel Kay - January 2007 Canadian Edition

Really looking forward to it, vry good advance buzz and a great premise. I buy it when it comes out January 9th in Canada.

5. The Broken Kings- Robert Holdstock- January 2007 ( Uk)

Obscure to way too many people, I really like his new Merlin Codex, of which this is the concluding volume which has a superb premise.

6. The Godless World part 2- Brian Ruckley- October 2007

Book 1 was very interesting and leaves off with a cliffhanger concering the best character which has me hunkering for more. Very good new series.

7. Sword from Red Ice- JV Jones-December 2007

Despite Jones claiming it would be November, Orbit at least has decided on December. Still no word from TOR US about a release date though. Anyway, a book I'm really looking forward to, even if it hard to believe we still have to wait a full year for it.

8. Axis- Robert Charles Wilson-June 2007

This looks like it could be even better than The Spin, and become one of the premier SF novels of our time. Focusing on the Arch, the Hypotheticals and a universe " billions of years older and more complex than ours".

9. Red Seas Under Red Skies- August 2007 ( US)

I prefer to wait a month longer for the US edition. I suppose this book could go on in a very interesting direction since they're leaving Camorr. I hope Lynch maintains having interesting minor and secondary characters and that he keeps the Bondsmagi in.

10. Reaper's Gale-Steven Erikson - April 2007

I've still got loads of catching up to with when it comes to Erikson and I've found him rather hit-and-miss sofar, but I have to say that this book has all the hallmarks of looking like it will be the best one yet.

11. Before they are hanged- Joe Abercrombie - March 2007

Looks like the second volume broadens the story somewhat and maintains the interesting central characters.

12. Bright of the Sky- Kay Kenyon- April 2007

Very good looking new Scifi-Fantasy combination from Kenyon, published by Pyr.

13. Spindrift - Allen Steele- April 2007

Interesting new SF novel about first contact with an apocalyptic alien force.

14. The New Space Opera- edited by Jonathan Strahan- June 2007

Looks like a fantastic collection of Space opera short stories by the masters of the current SF field.

15. Black Man- Richard Morgan- May 2007 ( published as "Thirteen" in the US).

This one took him a long time to hammer out. The premise sounds better to me than any of his other novels though since I am not that much into cyperpunk and noir detectives.

16) Fall of Kings- David Gemmell- September 2007

Others:

Lord of the Silent Kingdom- Glen Cook. I haven't read the first one yet but this one looks very good. Something Erikson fans might like I think. Glen Cook tackling a bigger story than his Black Company books.

Hilldiggers-Asher- But first I have so many other Asher books to read, and this is a standalone when I was hoping the follow up to Polity Agent ( Line War) would be out soon.

The Prefect-Reynolds- Looks good but I haven't even read his Revelation Space novels.
    Last edited by Mithfânion; December 21st, 2006 at 06:20 AM.

I'm going for the 3rd Eragon book as I thought the 1st two were good.
    Empire

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Fatal Revenant by Stephen Donaldson (hopefully it comes out in 2007).

Are we forgetting our very own Gary Wassner who will be releasing book four of the Gemquest series in April 2007, called Revenge of the Elves I think.
    Last edited by zorobnice; December 4th, 2006 at 07:13 AM.

Fatal Revenant is due out in November 2007.

As for Hobb: I lost interest in her after struggling through Ship of Destiny. She can create good characters and has some nice prose, but she is unable to pace her stories in a reasonable way. The stories of both Farseer and Liveships could have been told in half their page-counts. The last volumes of each series were unnecessarily, sometimes tediously padded out. I may get back to her one day, but not in the near future.

Axis is a book I do plan to read. I found Spin rather ordinary and not really deserving of its Hugo win, but the story was interesting enough that I'll pick up the sequel. However, I do wonder if part of Spin's success was the sheer inexplicable nature of events. Sitting down and spelling out what happened may not be a great idea (as when Clarke tried to come up with a reasonable explanation for Rendezvous with Rama and we got the disappointing sequel trilogy).

Abercrombie is an author I haven't read yet, but The Blade Itself is the next book I'll pick up when the Christmas money starts rolling in. Talking to him here and on Westeros it's clear that he's a cool guy and the reviews for the book have been very positive.

Morgan is an interesting writer. Altered Carbon is the book I'm currently reading and it's reasonable. If I enjoy the rest of the book, certainly I'll take a look at his other work.

Oh yeah, I need to catch up on Mieville. I enjoyed Perdido Street Station, so I need to get around to King Rat, The Scar, Iron Council, Looking for Jake and Un Lun Dun. Don't know if I'll fit them all into 2007 though.

1. Dance with Dragons- late 2007

How long would Martin have to finish it if he wants it released by say October/November? April at the latest?
    Oh no, they've probably got the cover and the end bits all worked out already, and they can produce pretty fast, so as long as he finishes by early August, and gets his last edits done in a few weeks, we're good.

Nope. The books go through a full editorial cycle once they are completed, followed by mass producing the enormous number of copies required (apparently AFFC sold roughly twice as many copes in hardback as they were expecting, leading to being reprinted several times and stores running out: they'll want more copies ready to go this time). The full process by Voyager takes about five months, and by Bantam about six months, so that's how long it'll take.

Apparently they were thinking of rushing it through sooner, but Tor did that for Books 7-10 of Robert Jordan's WoT series, and the number of spelling and grammar mistakes that slipped through was pretty big, so they're now going for the longer editorial process.

They haven't got the cover ready yet either, but we're expecting that in the next few months some time. It'll be the same style as AFFC.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Here is our tentative reading group list for 2007. Many probably will never see the light of day this coming year, but there are some diehard optimists in the group. The list also is rather incomplete as the third and fourth quarter for U.S. releases still hasn't been confirmed. So for evey book that never makes it this coming year, no doubt there is at least one to take its place.

Note that not all the books are genre. Some are reprints or new collected omnibus versions. Some are first time U.S. releases. "***" indicates a book I will most likely read assuming it does get releases in 2007 (I'm not indicating those I've already read); a lack does not mean I won't end up reading the book.

Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie
    Winter Cities by Daniel Abraham ***
    Special Assignments by Boris Akunin ***
    Gift of the Unmage by Alma Alexander
    Pirates of the Relentless Desert by Jay Amory***
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
    Wyrdwood I by Mark Anthony
    Tracing the Shadow by Sarah Ash
    The Aspect-Emperor by R. Scott Bakker***
    Neuropath by R. Scott Bakker***
    A Shout for the Dead by James Barclay***
    Absolute Midnight by Clive Barker***
    Conqueror by Stephen Baxter***
    Whiskey and Water by Elizabeth Bear***
    Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg***
    The Bard's Oath by Joane Bertin***
    The Wanderer's Tale by David Bilsborough***
    Belladonna by Anne Bishop
    The Tower of Shadows by Drew Bowling
    Sea Change by Patricia Bray
    The River of the World by Chaz Brenchley***
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs***
    Rider III by Kristen Britain***
    Daughter of Independence by Simon Brown***
    The Serpent and the Rose by Kathleen Bryan
    Ragamuffin by Tobias S. Buckell***
    The Sharing Knife: Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold
    Captain's Fury by Jim Butcher***
    Queen Ferris by Sam Butler***
    In Thin Air by Rachel Caine***
    The Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine
    Deepgate Codex II by Alan Campbell***
    Trickster's Game III by Barbara Campbell***
    Voice of the Gods by Trudi Canavan
    Kushiel's Justice by Jacqueline Carey***
    Dead Man's Boots by Mike Carey***
    Mistress of Winter by Giles Carwyn & Todd Fahnestock
    The Meq III by Steve Cash***
    Spellwright I by Blake Charlton
    Deliverer by C.J. Cherryh***
    Cyteen II by C.J. Cherryh***
    Godslayer III by James Clemens***
    Weavers of War by David B. Coe***
    Lords of the Silent Kingdom by Glen Cook
    The Swordbearer by Glen Cook***
    A Fortress in Shadow by Glen Cook***
    The Lords of the North by Benard Cornwell
    Winds of Vengeance by A.C. Crispin
    The Singing by Alison Croggon***
    Forged by Fire by Janine Cross***
    Last edited by JohnH; December 4th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.

list con'd:

Fallowblade by Cecilia Dart-Thorton
    Hunter's Moon by David Devereux***
    The Lightstep by John Dickinson***
    Fatal Revenant by Stephen R. Donaldson***
    The Serpent Bride by Sara Douglass
    The Crown of the Isles II by David Drake
    Mother of Lies by Dave Duncan***
    The Alchemist's Apprentice by Dave Duncan***
    Ink by Hal Duncan
    Shadow Gate by Kate Elliott***
    Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson***
    Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian Cameron Esslemont***
    The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon***
    Nessantico Cycle I by S.L. Farrell***
    From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust
    Into a Dark Realm by Raymond E. Feist
    The Word of Making by David Forbes
    At Twilight's Fall by Elizabeth Forrest***
    Borderlands II by Lorna Freeman***
    Feast of Souls by C.S. Friedman
    Shadowbridge by Gregory Frost
    The Devil in Amber by Mark Gatiss***
    Thief with No Shadow by Emily Gee***
    Shield of Thunder by David Gemmell***
    Ilario by Mary Gentle***
    Sovereign Silk by ElizaBeth Gilligan
    The Borderkind by Christopher Golden
    Maze of the Minotaur by Julia Golding
    Blood Echo by Ian Graham***
    The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon Green***
    9Tail Fox by Jon Courtenay Grimwood***
    Key to Conflict by Talia Gryphon***
    Verdegris Deep by Frances Hardinge***
    The Assassin King by Elizabeth Haydon
    Heaven's Net is Wide by Lian Hearn***
    The Dwarves by Marcus Heitz
    The Poisoned Crown by Amanda Hemingway***
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
    Renegade's Magic by Robin Hobb***
    The Falconer's Knot by Mary Hoffman
    Fall of Light by Nina Kiriki Hoffman***
    The Rune of Unmaking II by Madeline Howard***
    Queen's Mark by Morgan Howell
    Queen's Shadow by Morgan Howell
    The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt***
    Seraphs by Faith Hunter ***
    The Curse of the Chosen by Ian Irvine***
    Heian III by Kij Johnson***
    Kylen I by Kij Johnson***
    Faeire Path by Frewin Jones
    A Sword from Red Ice by J.V. Jones***
    Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay
    Storm of the Dead by Paul Kearney***
    In a Time of Treason by David Keck***
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon***
    The Spirit Stone by Katharine Kerr***
    The Born Queen by Greg Keyes***
    Path of Revenge by Russell Kirkpatrick
    The City in the Crags by Rosemary Kirstein***
    Sorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
    Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox***
    Childe Morgan III by Katherine Kurtz***
    To Wind the Mainspring of the World by Jay Lake***
    Madness of Flowers by Jay Lake***
    Riders of the Steppes by Harold Lamb***
    Swords of the Steppes by Harold Lamb***
    The Hidden Worlds by Kristin Landon
    Shadows of Tyr by Glenda Larke***
    Dawn by Tim Lebbon
    No Flame But Mine by Tanith Lee***
    Wolf's Blood by Jane Lindskold
    Thirteen Orphans by Jane Lindskold
    Twilight's Herald by Tom Lloyd
    Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko***
    Twilight / Dusk Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko***
    Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch***
    Last edited by JohnH; December 4th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.

List con't:

The Sleeping God by Violette Malan
    The Princes of the Golden Cage by Nathalie Mallet***
    The Black Mirror I by John Marco***
    The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier***
    Water Logic by Laurie J. Marks***
    The Summoner by Gail Martin***
    A Dance of Dragons by George R. R. Martin
    Mad Kestrel by Misty Massey
    Bitterwood by James Maxey
    Rome Burning by Sophia McDougall***
    Once Upon a Dreadful Time by Dennis L. McKiernan
    Odalisque by Fiona McIntosh
    Timefarer by Sean McMullen***
    Wildfire by Sarah Micklem***
    Swarmthief's Treason by Deborah Miller***
    Empress of Mijak by Karen Miller***
    The Mirador by Sarah Monette***
    Black Man by Richard Morgan***
    You Suck by Christopher Moore
    The Queen's Bastard by C.E. Murphy
    Tremeraire IV by Naomi Novik***
    Time's Child by Rebecca Ore***
    The Vacant Throne by Joshua Palmatier***
    The White Tyger by Paul Park
    Engineer II by K.J. Parker***
    The Silver Tower by Fiona Patton***
    Sun Over Breda by Arturo Perez-Reverte***
    Stone Dance of the Chameleon by Ricardo Pinto***
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds III by Cherie Priest***
    Fathom by Cherie Priest***
    The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman***
    Last edited by JohnH; December 4th, 2006 at 03:25 PM.

Teenage Nietzscheist GreyMantle's Avatar
    I had thought that Neuropath was coming out before Aspect-Emperor. From what I've gathered, it seemed like Scott was all but done with Neuropath but just had ideas for AE. I'm probably wrong though.