Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Funny you mentioned that. I have an unfinished short story where anti-matter is contained in a tennis-ball sized vacuum. When someone wants to "unleash" it, they just bounce it off the ground - like a ball.

Was kinda stuck on the science-side of this myself, hence the unfinished story.

I read a scifi story once where this man builds an empire after discovering a stable form of antimatter he called antimatter2 (or am2 for short). To make AM2 safe for transport, it's coated with in imperilium, a magnetic alloy he spent a year working on.

For AM2 to be usable, you have to burn a hole in the imperilium with a laser.

What you want isn't so much antimatter but something exotic that reacts powerfully, like a supercharged plasma.

As to what would be enough to scare people about them, it's the first time someone showing off makes a mistake and takes out a building - or a city block.

Or proves they can read the mind of a politician.

But wouldn't a creature capable of dealing with am and such be in terrible danger when the thing explodes.

And Expendable why you are surely not expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    But wouldn't a creature capable of dealing with am and such be in terrible danger when the thing explodes.
    It should be, yes.

And Expendable why you are surely not expendable.
    I'm not me? I'm sure I am Expendable.

Hey Ex, I don't think I've seen you around for a while, nice to hear from you again.

Um ... is it possible to read the mind of a politician?

There will always be people intent on pushing the limits, even if it means dealing with substances which could possibly destroy poeple, houses, or even cities. Sometimes there are people involved who are smart enough to know how dangerous it is, and figure out a way to control those dangers.

And sometimes it's the undiscovered side effects that take you out.

I recall reading about an early A-bomb test, some of the most intelligent people on the planet sat on top of an air craft carrier to watch the test. They felt the heat "like an oven door being opened" from the radiation.

Just a thought.

B5

Hi Mr.BF1V3, I got caught up in another project for a while. It didn't go very far, unfortunately.

And yes, you can read the mind of a politician - it's just who would want to willingly? Plus you know the politician will over-react. Makes you wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by Expendable View Post
    I'm not me? I'm sure I am Expendable.
    Haha you got me there.
    And what's so special about reading the mind of a politician? What would that give you?

... what's so special about reading the mind of a politician? What would that give you?
    The issue isn't what it would give you, it's what they think it might have given you and how dangerous it is to them. It might even make you ... um ... expendable.

You do realize "Politics" and "Paranoid" have the same root.

(Okay maybe not, but the words can be interchangeable.)

B5

Are you suggesting that the mutants should be able to spontaneously generate politicians?

Why not play around with Wilhelm Reich's Orgone? Orgone accumulaters vs. natural control over it. Hehe... (It has always been science fiction, in my mind; or fictional science. So it should be fun to fake evidence; and you can't go much wrong, anyway.)

Hi, Ex. Isn't it sad when projects don't go very far? Glad to see you back, though.

So when someone thinks that you can read some paranoids mind then you are a danger to society. But is you a bigger threat doing that or when blowing up a whole city.

And dawnstorm, I wouldn't like to meet the mutants that "spontaneously generate politicians". One of my worst nightmares.

But on the reading mind bit. It can be so that I can't quite understand the dangers even now because politicians in Sweden doesn't really have any power. Bush can order missileattacks.

So when someone thinks that you can read some paranoids mind then you are a danger to society. But is you a bigger threat doing that or when blowing up a whole city.
    What if it wasn't the mutant who blew up the city but the politican who's been blaiming mutants for it? And you've read the truth in his mind. Now what do you do?

I don't know really. It's like the dilemma that the guy in (the Stephen Kingbook that has psychic powers after a caraccident) must handle. If you alone knows about the threat of the politician and can't tell anybody what will you do.
    And by the way these mutants would they be identical to other humans?
    If they do it would be easy to hide from the politician, right?

I don't know really. It's like the dilemma that the guy in (the Stephen Kingbook that has psychic powers after a caraccident) must handle. If you alone knows about the threat of the politician and can't tell anybody what will you do.
    Not if the politician knows who you are.

And why would you want to make things easy for your characters? It's more fun when things are difficult.

B5

Quote Originally Posted by Expendable View Post
    Not if the politician knows who you are.
    Ok, then it would be hard but not impossible.