Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Song Of The Day

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Xavier Rudd - Fortune Teller

Amazing tune and shows off the didge and stompbox skills I mentioned.

Magic Flute also Mozart

Chris Cornell - When you miss somebody.

I've always loved Cornell's voice, but never thought Soundgarden lived-up to the genius shown in Temple of the Dog.

Audioslave are awesome and I think, better than Soundgarden. My local HMV had Chris' solo album for under £5 last week, so I thought I would give it a shot and there is some nice stuff on there. I remember Chris recording a few solo tunes for the 'Singles' movie soundtrack and really liked them.

If you really want to hear Chris' voice at its best, check out 'Hunger strike' and 'Say hello to heaven' from Temple of The Dog.

Temple of the Dog was a tribute album for Andrew Wood, lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Mother Love Bone... Andrew sadly died after overdosing on the dreaded Heroin. Chris Cornell was a good friend of Andrew's and Chris and the boys from MLB recorded Temple of the Dog as a goodbye. The band were auditioning a new singer and he can be heard singing backing vocals on a few of the Temple tunes, including Hunger Strike. That singer was called Eddie Vedder, and they went on to form Pearl Jam.

If you want to hear some Mother Love Bone, check out This is Shangrilla and the amazing, Crown of thorns.

Mother Love Bone were one of the first groups to break out of Seattle, before Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and sadly, Chris is the only surviving vocalist from that era, with the passing of Kurt, Layne Stayley and Andrew Wood... what a 'kin waste of talent.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    So much to listen to. So little time. Thank Justin.

Need a change of pace. Gnarls Barkley from St. Elsewhere, the song is The Boogie Monster.

A return to my youth from me today.

Holiday in Cambodia - The Dead Kennedys

"Back on My Feat" Wet Wet Wet,

See what you can learn from a good thread? I never heard of him until Justin chose one of his songs a while ago and now I'm hooked. Music heals! You can change the path of your life by logging on to my forum!! (Am I being too bold?)

Today: Paolo Nutini, No, No, No from Last Request.

Thanks Justin.

Ooh, Dead Kennedys, need to add them to my ipod.

For me, today, "Train in Vain" by The Clash. Feeling combative.

Josh Rouse, Dressed up Like Nebraska from the cd of the same name.

Del Amitri - Nothing ever happens.

Seems to fit today. Had an interview this morning, it didn't go very well. I thought I was prepared, but in actual fact I'd prepared all the wrong things. Ah well...

Sorry to hear that Jacquin! But I'm sure the next one will be better. They can't resist you for long.

In your honor, Jacquin: Richard Thompson, cd - Mock Tudor, song - Dry My Tears And Move On.

Cheers Gary. It's doubly irritating as I applied almost six months ago and had long given up on them. I was contacted out of the blue and asked for an interview. It's my own fault for getting my hopes up!

I have a number of other irons in the fire, hopefully one will work out...

For me I'm going with KT Tunstall's Black Horse and the Cherry Tree (live) that girl stuns me with her quite disgusting levels of talent.

J

I'm going for exceptional talent today in the form of Tom Baxter, a British singer-songwriter.

His album, Feather and Stone was released at the same sort of time and rather eclipsed by, James Blunt's album.

The song, is My Declaration and is one of the most amazing, goosebump raising tunes about self-actualization and making changes...

Check it out if you can find it.

And I'm going with something really old and really sad, in honor of Anna Nicole and all the other tragic players whose stars were tarnished but still sparkled for us all.

Phil by Tom Paxton from the cd Heroes (a tribute to Phil Ochs, the great folk singer and social activist).

Ride On by Christy Moore. Was lucky enough to meet him some years back. A true gent and a blisteringly good Bodhran player.