Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Song Of The Day

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Swing on down - Donovan Frankenreiter... probably the most uplifting and damn happy album I have ever heard... no joke.

Ooh, a little cheating... Gary, check out Scott Matthews, look for a song called Dreamsong... then listen to Elusive... amazing album... he sounds like a cross between Jeff Buckley and Chris Cornell... quite a pair!

Hold Back the River by Wet Wet Wet, anything by them is good, one of my all time favourite bands. So glad they have reformed the band again.

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    Grant my last request - Paulo Nutini... a brilliant, brilliant song for any fan of singer-songwriters. Great lyrics and beautiful melodies and what's more, the kid ain't even twenty! It's scary!
    Couldn't agree more. These Streets is my favourite album in a long long time...

Song for today?

Broken by Tracy Chapman, a hauntingly beautiful song that is uplifting in a way only she can manage.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Some great choices. Makes mine all that much harder.

Justin, I listen to Scott Matthews all the time now. Fantastic! Just the kind of music I love.

Okay, so for me it's a brand new singer, Elvis Perkins. The album is Ash Wednesday and so is the song title. It's not yet available as an album, but a few of the songs can be downloaded, and Ash Wednesday will be on iTunes soon.

He's the son of Anthony Perkins (the Psycho Perkins). He died of aids a few years ago and his mother died on 9/11 in NYC. Sad. Kind of explains the music.

I'm not cheating, because I am not claiming this as my song of the day... but, Gary, check out Bernard Fanning, his album Tea & Sympathy is superb! Look for the song 'Songbird'.

I feel like such a philistine compared to you two . . . but for what it's worth, I offer up "The Metro" by Berlin, because it reminds of when I was young and stupid and full of energy.

Now I am cheating... feel free to listen to my own new songs HERE... I think Event Horizon is my favorite to perform...

No one can really cheat here. It's a thread about great music and I hope it's informative for us all. Keep the songs coming.

You pre-empted me Justin! But one of yours is definitely going to be my song of the day soon. In fact, I contemplated one this morning, but I'm waiting for all your new music.

Wow, thanks Gary... that is praise indeed... I plugged my tunes because I never expected to be listed as a song of the day!

You'll be the first in the States to receive and hear the completed new album... count on that.

Jacquin, Tracy Chapman has a beautiful voice. I've always liked it. So much melancholy in it. Fast Car is haunting too. She sounded so much older than she was when she first recorded.

Juzzza, Event Horizon is pretty cool, sounds like a bit of Jack Johnson has crept in, I like it. Some the harmonies are kinda reminiscent of Eagle Eye Cherry (another big fav of mine). When's the new album out?

Gary, I have loved Tracy Chapman's music ever since I first heard Fast Car back in 88. I don't think I've ever disliked any of her songs. Makes me feel oooooooooooooold!

J

Yeah, but music heals all, so what the hell.

Tracy has a way of making a song a story, and she's very evocative. There's a lot of history in her music. You feel it, like she's a very old soul.

If we're onto female talent, check out the amazing australian singer songwriter, Jen Cloher... her song 'Rain' is beautiful! She toured with Ben Lee and he is a big fan and played the song on his first podcast... if you don't know who Ben Lee is, check out the amazing song 'Catch my disease'.

Edit:

Sorry, Oz... out in March... I should point out that those tunes are live... all recorded at Jersey Arts Centre.
    Last edited by juzzza; January 23rd, 2007 at 10:06 AM.

Today I am feeling under the weather. There is a bug of some sort going round and today is my turn. So I want something upbeat and enthusiastic...

What better than The Champ by The Mohawks. Funkadelic!

Cool.

And I'm feeling bummed out. A children's book of mine was a contender for an Edgar Award nomination and it didn't make the final list.

I like to dwell in my gloom:

Patty Griffin's the artist, Tony's the song from Flaming Red.