Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Song Of The Day

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    My tune today, is from a New Yorker who is hanging out in London lately, and is good friends with Jools Holland... Eric Bibb... he is an amazing contemporary blues man and writes wonderful, accessible blues with a touch of jazz... the song is called In my father's house and is worth a listen as is the whole album.

Gary will like him.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Child Star, Ron Sexsmith from his album Other Songs.

That was a hard choice. When I listen to him each song becomes my favorite, and I listen to him often.

Jacquin, I saw Patty Griffin in Central Park under the stars a while ago and she was great. She was with Mary Chapin Carpenter and Shawn Colvin. She's been writing songs for other people for a long time, but I like her own versions the best. She has a new cd coming out very soon.

My bad Justin. I probably just forgot. So much music, so little time.

OK, I'll play too.

"Oh Freedom", a rare live version of a track from David Axelrod's 1974 album The Auction, which is a cover of a post-Civil War African American freedom song that combines gospel, blues, acid jazz and Axelrod's near-spoken-word diction. Groovy and funky and reflective of how I'm feeling today.

This is a serious game, Gabe. Very serious. Got to look for that one on Rhapsody.

If anyone listens to Ron Sexsmith, listen to the song Words We Never Use. It's a truly beautiful song.

If y'all like the sound of female singer songwriters the likes of Jewel or Tori Amos, check out Nerina Pallot... she's from my little island and kicking ass in the charts with her album Fires... look out for the song Road to Damascos... I saw her perform in Jersey's Opera House with just her piano and a string quartet... amazing... she enraptured the whole theatre who hung on every note.

Justin, Paoulo Nutini is Rhapsody's indie choice now on their main music page.

Superb!

Jenny don't be hasty and Grant my last request, are AMAZING songs.

Yes, both are great songs and the two that I would pick out of them all. I wasn't impressed with many of the others though, and that kind of disappointed me.

My song of the day: Angus & Julia Stone - Mango Tree. It's Australia Day today, and later I'll take the family into The Rocks, under the Sydney Harbour Bridge to see some live music, including these two. Coincidentally, they are supporting Donavon Frankenrieter in the UK shortly.

And it's summer down there too! You lucky devil. Music under the stars.

It's going to be 18 degrees F tomorrow in NYC with some light snow. No chance of going to Central Park for a live concert anytime soon.

My choice for today, Jose Gonzales' Lovestain... the guy is brilliant, and his album Veneer is beautiful. I love feeling a singer-songwriter's influences coming through and especially like it when someone brings something different, like Amos Lee's gospel influence or in the case of Jose, his flamenco roots... works great with a contemporary outlook and lyrics.

For me its The Cape by Guy Clark.

I discovered him when I was given a CD of a live show he did with Steve Earle and Townes Van Zandt, I find it hard to believe that someone with so much talent and raw emotion in their music evaded me for so long. The song is kinda whymsical, kinda touching and a lot of fun.

Love Earle. Have for a long time. And Van Zandt as well. Add Gram Parsons to that list and I'm good for an afternoon.

Today, my song is Americans In Cordoroys by Jeffrey Foucault. The whole cd that it's on, Ghost Repeater, is excellent.

Earle is a legend, I've managed to see him live with the Dukes and with the Del McCourey Band, both times I was blown away, though interestingly the highlight of both shows was Copperhead Road. Interesting to see it done acoustically around a single mic.

I'm not familiar with Gram Parsons, though I'm guessing if he's on that list I should do something about that.

The song, Return of the Grievous Angel, was one of his best and most evocative. It's been redone so many times, but the version I prefer is David Crosby and Lucinda Williams'.

He died young. Way too young.