Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzBunneh View Post
    Miéville's menagerie is indeed mind-blowing as someone else pointed out. The khepri are great, but someone on this board said in a post I read a few days ago that they're a rip-off of some creatures in Harrison's Viriconium
    Funny that the khepri are the one race that really bugged me. If I recall, Mielville identified them as an evolved race rather than created. If evolved, I just don't buy it. You can argue alternate world/mechanisms, but evolution as we know it wouldn't result in such a superfluidity of parts as to have sex organs in the head as well as humanoid (or human-compatible and welcoming) genitalia.

The mosquito people, on the other hand, are great!!

Defender of Cononicals Physics Knight's Avatar
    The Liveships from Robin Hobb take the cake. Who wouldn't want a talking ship?

Can I mention the cyberdemon from the DoomII video game? That thing ceeped me out every time I head it's metal leg approach from far off.

Time to change, Changer. foolofgold's Avatar
    Ah man, the steam demons were cool too.

Evil Not-a-chickens.

Evil Not-A-Chickens are awesome too. They terrorize mud people villages.

(I'm sorry in advance. It's probably best that you ignore this or, if you wish to reply, reply in the T. Goodkind forums so that this post doesn't get crazy.)

Their is a D&D novel called the Wyverns Spur, I think you would like a lot.

Beholders are pretty cool because of their various but finite abilities, of course in d&d they are getting a bit over done.

I also like Audry II in little shop of horrors

Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar
    Heffalumps! No doubt about it .

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Heffalumps! No doubt about it .
    Well if you're going to count that, then I vote for The Great Pumpkin!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzBunneh View Post
    Miéville's menagerie is indeed mind-blowing as someone else pointed out. The khepri are great, but someone on this board said in a post I read a few days ago that they're a rip-off of some creatures in Harrison's Viriconium..
    Harrison's Viriconium is of course a big influence of Mieville's work. People wearing animal heads is a recurring image in the Viriconium stories, and insects are another one. For the khepri, only one instance comes to mind (though there may have been others), when women with insect heads appear as the figureheads of some ships in (I think) A Storm of Wings; it's by no means a big part of the story, just a small detail Mieville developed his idea from.

Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by intensityxx View Post
    Well if you're going to count that, then I vote for The Great Pumpkin!
    Now that's just silly.

I admit that my entry might possibly not have been what the original poster was going for exactly, but Heffalumps are creatures, you know.

You, on the other hand, have introduced a deity. Very much a singular entity, and a vegetable one at that.

I'm all disgruntled now...

As an aside (and a slightly more serious one): Murrin's right, of course. And the Viriconium series is one of those classics I think just about no-one would ever regret reading. Here it is, all ready to order:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viriconium-P...e=UTF8&s=books

Getting back to critters - the one that frightened me most as a child was Tolkien's Balrog. I guess it can't be my favorite for that very reason - but it sure made an impression. In the book, mind, not the film!

My favorite - though those were frightening too - were the steeds of the Nazgul. When you're young (or not so young, even) horses are pretty big and awesome, and the idea of riding 'em is daunting and wonderful all at once. But then imagine you can fly with them - and they're really cool and powerful (to put it simply).

So I guess - if Heffalumps don't count - it's got to be them: the Fell Beasts.
    Last edited by Julian; January 30th, 2007 at 03:01 PM.

Nick, Destroyer of Worlds nick1689's Avatar
    Wolves!! Dire wolves in aSoIaF, Nighteyes in Hobb's books, and the pack of wolves owned by Azhure (sp?) in Douglass' Axis trilogy, just to name a few.
    Seriously in every story with wolves in them they absolutely own, i wouldnt wanna take one on.

Wolves are ultimately the best, even better than dragons IMO.

I rather liked the fire demon (Calcifer) from Howl's Moving Castle. I also liked the Ents in LoTR. Some people I know find Treebeard boring and skip over that section, but I loved reading Treebeard's musings. I'm also intrigued by the legend of the Ent Wives. And who couldn't fall in love with Falkor, the Luck Dragon, in Ende's The Neverending Story? Of course, my first love affair with fantasy creations began with the Cat in the Hat. My favorite Milne character is poor Eeyore.

Nick, Destroyer of Worlds nick1689's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foolofgold View Post
    Wolves are ultimately the best, even better than dragons IMO.
    *Borat Voice*

High Five!!

Quote Originally Posted by nick1689 View Post
    *Borat Voice*

High Five!!
    *Borat Voice*

Niiiiice!

Quote Originally Posted by Postaurch View Post
    and the best incarnation of giants in modern fantasy.
    Second best behind the giants in The Knight.