My Kids don't read

I guess that most of you, like myself, enjoy reading. I wanted to share this experience wtih my kids but they won't read.
    When they were little I took them to the library. I read bedside stories to them. When they were older I gave them my favorite books. Our house is full of all kinds of books but they won't read. The older one is fourteen and has read about three books - only because he had to do a summary for school. The younger one is ten and has never read a book by his own - the hobbit we read together.Why is it, that they won't read? What can I do? Any suggestions?

Just a suggestion: I think you should not push them. Let the books lie on the shelfs, and see if one of your kids is interested.

I, for example, didn't read when I was young, but then I started reading alot...

Get them a playstation or a game console (if they don't already have one) and buy them role playing games. And make sure their good ones, Final Fantasy 6,7,8,9 etc.
    One game i recomend is Xenogears, it's pretty much a novel on disk. This worked for many people i know. After playing good roleplaying games they decided they liked reading instead of loathing it.

don't push them, but you can make books sound very interesting to them. That's what my mom did, telling me summaries of books she had read when I was a kid. She made the summaries sound so cool I had to read the books to find out more.

I like Metoblat's idea. There needs to be some interest from some alternate source. Either from friends or games is good. I got into reading fantasy because I played dungeons and dragons. I never liked reading before that. Either that or lock them in their rooms without anything except books. That should work.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    It doesn't always works.. my 12 years old brother plays D&D, he plays computer RPGs... Final Fantasy and such and he doesn't touch a book...
    He does read a magazine about computer games though, so if you give up on books try magazines, it isn't the same but at least they will be reading something...

Cadfael
    Ntschotschi... is it that you want your children to read, whatever the genre, or is it specificaly Fantasy you would like them to read?

If your children have a particular intrest, maybe books and magazines that cover that intrest would help.

If I am not being too nosey, would you mind telling us how old your children are? I respect you may not want to put this on the forum.

Don't bother to answer, I missed the ages in the top post, sorry

My younger brother never read a book until he was 17, but now he never has his nose out of one, okay it not fantasy, but he does read and collect books. My parents actually got a little concerned over the amount of time I spent reading, "why don't you get out and enjoy yourself" type of thing

You probably know not to push or force your children to read. If they think of reading as a chore, the will resist all the harder.

Do they like Harry Potter, there is a movie due out soon, and if they like that, you may uses this to introduce them to the other Potter books.

[This message has been edited by dennizm (edited January 23, 2001).]

Ask them to read a book and give them a reward for the book.

I will agree that RPG's are a pretty good way to crossover interest--Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate based on Forgotten Realms novels. There is also a Wheel of Time computer game as well as a few based on Raymond Feist's books.

One of the main reasons I got into reading big-time was that my parents were big readers; I saw how much my parents enjoyed reading and I followed suit. They may eventually catch on by seeing the enjoyment you get out of reading.

Hope this helps. If I came across too preachy, sorry.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Games didn't work till now. Especially the ten-year-old spends most of his spare time playing computergames. Sometimes I think that's why he doesn't have to read: he puts all his fantasy into the games. He reads a lot of PC-magazines though. The fourteen-year-old is more into music, he's reading that kind of fanzines.
    So it's not that they don't read at all...
    Of course I tried the Potter books hoping for a miracle but they were only slightly interested, started to read it to do me a favour I guess.
    Nevermind, I keep on having books lying around with interesting colorful covers so maybe someday just the right book will get them hooked one day.

I know when I was younger I was primarily interested in sports and physical activities, so I didn't even consider reading. It really just depends on who you are and what you want at whatever time in your life it is. Some people read their whole lives, others read when they slow down or mature. Unfortunately, there are some people who never learn to enjoy reading. These are the people I try to avoid conversations with whenever possible.

I am 21 right now and I started reading at about 19, when I started college and was bored with video games. Seriously reading that is. I read books for school, but those were forced upon me otherwise I would fail the classes. I started reading mostly because of Role Playing games and because my younger brother told me about the books he read (he is only 2 years behind me). I started reading some of the books which he had already finished. I think the first book I read, once I started seriously reading, was Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I really enjoyed reading that book, then I moved to Dragonlance, and now I read anything, from contemporary literature like what you would find in a literature class to comic books.

To get them started on reading don't force them, rather mix what has been said previously like leaving the books around for them to see, let them play roleplaying games, give them books for their birthday or other holidays along with what they want(paperback books that are only 6 or 7 dollars), and also get them something like comics that actually have depth. If these don't work, then wait, they will probably pick up books later and then they will see what they are missing.

I suggest that you let them start out with rather small books. The size of The lord of the Rings/The Hobbit might have put them off, try giving them books like The Hatchet,
    and the Zagor Chronicals..they're small but very good reads,

Give them time...whatever you do, don't force them; they'll come to view reading as a punishment/chore. Reading magazines might not be the same but it's a start. Lots of kids are uninterested in reading these days with all the other media out there esp. video games, but as long as they're doing well in school, etc. I wouldn't worry. May take a few years, but some people don't get into reading until they're adults. Give'em time.